Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine.......do you think it hurts progress? page

jrc64 is offline Member

Wine.......do you think it hurts progress?

Primal Fuel
    Just want to see if anyone feels that wine may hurt the fat burning process. While it contains very little carbs (most of the calories are from alcohol), it does still trigger an insulin response as alcohol undergoes very little digestion and tends to cause the body to send an overdose of insulin.

I enjoy a glass or two while winding down for the night, but I'm just wondering if it is hurting my progress at all. Granted, I'm in great shape, but I can't help but wonder if I can be in better shape without the wine.

All thoughts welcome!!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    If one is trying to lose body fat, I would always recommend cutting out all alcohol.

I am actually having a nice Bordeaux right now.....I enjoy wine from time to time, whenever I buy a bottle. It will probably be a few weeks, or a month, before I buy another one. Drinking wine everyday, especially more than 1 glass, is not something I feel comfortable with personally, nor do I think its a great health decision.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Admittedly, it may be a setback in some ways, but I'll take those over little setbacks for the other significant health and, yes mental (stress reduction) benefits.

In almost all of the cultures with the longest living populations...taking a daily nip is common practice. Now, admittedly the key is moderation. A little is good, a lot is not. In other words...basically a couple of drinks a day for a man, one for a woman.

But don't take just my word for it...check out "The Blue Zones", "Healthy at 100", "Younger Next Year", "Longevity Made Simple" and "50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People". All mention or discuss population studies that support this fact.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Phil-SC; 06-11-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: more info

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to lose weight so I'm abstaining right now but once I'm at my goal weight and fitness level, PASS THE VINO!!!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-SC View Post
    Admittedly, it may be a setback in some ways, but I'll take those over little setbacks for the other sginificant health and, yes mental (stress reduction) benefits.
    same. It's one of life's pleasures for me. I knew if I cut out drinking completely I would lose weight but I wanted whatever I did to be sustainable, and not a grind. And actually the weight has fallen off me pretty quickly (however as I always state here, I wasnt looking to lose a lot to begin with)

jrc64 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    If one is trying to lose body fat, I would always recommend cutting out all alcohol.

I am actually having a nice Bordeaux right now.....I enjoy wine from time to time, whenever I buy a bottle. It will probably be a few weeks, or a month, before I buy another one. Drinking wine everyday, especially more than 1 glass, is not something I feel comfortable with personally, nor do I think its a great health decision.

Oh, I certainly agree. I guess to really make my post more accurate, I will generally have around a 1/2 glass (sometimes two 1/2 glasses), while watching ESPN or reading. So actually your looking at 1/2 glass to 1 glass per day. Given the health benefits of moderate wine consumption, I guess that's not bad. I do think I'll try not having any for 2 weeks and monitor the results.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Agree with everyone else. If you are seriously trying to lose body fat, then ease up on the grape juice. If not, enjoy in moderation. A glass or two once or twice a week has some benefits too. I super HEART my wine. it's all about the balance..... Eat well, sleep well, drink well

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc64 View Post
    Oh, I certainly agree. I guess to really make my post more accurate, I will generally have around a 1/2 glass (sometimes two 1/2 glasses), while watching ESPN or reading. So actually your looking at 1/2 glass to 1 glass per day. Given the health benefits of moderate wine consumption, I guess that's not bad. I do think I'll try not having any for 2 weeks and monitor the results.
    Thats exactly what I do. Game 4 excitement! I love wine, and if theres a bottle in the house, I'll have some, so I try to buy bottles weeks apart, so as to have 1 week on, one or two weeks off, sort of. And, I definetly think there are health benefits if done this way. Drinking more than that, I feel like the amount of alcohol being consummed starts to outweigh its benefits. cheers! *clink*

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed that I need to cut the alcohol way down / out for weight loss. I have been enjoying a couple glasses with dinner for a very long time now though, and going to 0 is really not anything I want to do long term. I haven't heard about any health risks from moderate consumption that outweigh any benefits + being one of life's pleasures for me. Beer on the other hand I have stopped drinking at home, only when I'm out and it's hot or just the thing to drink.
    Go Lakers!!

SKarry is offline Member
    I've found while trying to lose body fat that I absolutely have to abstain from wine (sniff!). It seems that I can indulge in one glass per week without any detriment to my progress, but no more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast