Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will temporarily going low-fat help speed fat loss? page

maximumxc is offline Junior Member

Will temporarily going low-fat help speed fat loss?

Shop Now
    I realize going low-carb and low-fat isn't healthy long-term, but I'm wondering if going low-fat for a short period of time (couple weeks?) might force the body to use stored body fat, thereby helping to speed up fat loss. What do you guys think? Any health risks to doing this? Once I hit my target weight, my plan is to go back to high fat.

The long story behind all this is that I've been going on and off primal for the last two years. The very first time I went primal, I lost 10 pounds within the first 1-2 weeks. I had some headaches and brain fogginess but didn't miss a beat in my crossfit workouts. I went from having a big belly to being able to just see the outlines of a 2-pack.

Due to my job, though, I often travel to remote locations for extended periods of time (6+ months at a time) and the only food available is what's in the company cafeteria (hence not staying primal). My best strategy for not cheating with carbs is not to buy them so I don't have them; sadly, this doesn't work when the only place you can eat is stocked full of junk food. Still, I did try my best to eat somewhat primal-like or at least less carby.

I'm finally back in the US and able to cook for myself again. I'm back on the primal diet, no flu symptoms at all this time, but now it appears that the fat loss is extremely slow, at least compared to before. I do believe I'm fat adapted as I've already done crossfit workouts and the like without any carb intake prior or after and feel great. I am also able to go long periods of time without eating and without hunger, though I rarely do so in practice because my wife gets unhappy when I don't have regular meals (she's a big believer in 3 solid meals, same time, every day). When I first started primal and had the great results, I went crazy with oil and fats to make my meals taste better. I'm wondering if maybe now that my body is able to burn fats more efficiently, I need to cut back on my dietary fat in order to force my body to burn body fat instead.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Short answer: Nope.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumxc View Post
    I'm wondering if maybe now that my body is able to burn fats more efficiently, I need to cut back on my dietary fat in order to force my body to burn body fat instead.
    Conflicting short answer: Yep.

You won't know if it works for you until you try it. If your current way of eating isn't giving you the results you want, it won't hurt to switch it up for a few weeks.

"Low fat" sounds dirty around here, but it's not always a bad thing.
    Last edited by Nivanthe; 11-15-2013 at 03:29 AM.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    No, your body is just going to see any carb you eat and go "yay carbs!" then your brain is going to go "hmm, we needz more carbz!" and you'll walk around eyeballing sugary foods all day going 'omg i need that now!"
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    No, your body is just going to see any carb you eat and go "yay carbs!" then your brain is going to go "hmm, we needz more carbz!" and you'll walk around eyeballing sugary foods all day going 'omg i need that now!"
    Not everyone has a crazy sugar binging problem.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    It depends on your sample set . I'd say 80-90% of the people I know IRL fit that description. Of course on this website or in California I'm sure its quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    It depends on your sample set . I'd say 80-90% of the people I know IRL fit that description. Of course on this website or in California I'm sure its quite different.
    Hah true. On this website, definitely... If people were happy with their diet/health/weight/foods they wouldn't go searching for other WOEs.

I personally don't know any people that go crazy with anything sweet, now that I think about it. They can have some, and be done. Iiiiiiinteresting.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    OP came to this site asking if they can do the exact opposite of the MDA/PB way of eating... clearly they might be a sugar-craver.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

We'll agree to disagree, Ryan I didn't read anything about sugar problems or addictions in the OP. It was strictly a fat loss question.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    And the next thing you know you're checking into Carbs Anonymous.

Shit.

OP- just try it out. Give it about a month before saying yay or nay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast