Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good OHP???? and a question about bench press page 2

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Shoot for a bodyweight press. That's pretty rare these days. Although anything above a .75 bodyweight press ain't bad.

The bench press is a great movement, but just listen to your body. If it hurts to bench, don't do it. If it doesn't hurt, you should be fine. First make sure your form is correct, though.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I've been adding heavier OHP into my workouts lately. I have an old shoulder injury that really made vertical pushing tough for many years. I can push up my bodyweight on OHP, but mainly am building up some sets at 75% body weight or so. Taking it really slow just in case.

I know a huge dude who does strongman competitions for fun. This guy trained with Kroc in his garage when they lived close. He says bench isn't that necessary and OHP is king.

He casually said once, "I've found that if I just keep my press above 330 or so, I can still bench 400+ pretty easily, even if I never bench in workouts."

I wish I could make awesome statements like that.

Sent via lightsaber

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    Shoot for a bodyweight press. That's pretty rare these days. Although anything above a .75 bodyweight press ain't bad.
    Well, using bodyweight multipliers favors the little guys. As an example, I 5-repped about 96% of my bodyweight on the press yesterday, and I'm not very strong. I figure I can press about 110% of my meager bodyweight for a single. That's still a long ways off from 2 plates though, which is my goal for 2014.
    The Champagne of Beards

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Are these presses done with straight legs or are they more of a jerk style ?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could press my bodyweight. I don't think 75% is too far off, but it's still in the future. For me, there's a pretty sharp decline from when I can do several reps, to when I simply can't move the weight.

I personally do them strict.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Are these presses done with straight legs or are they more of a jerk style ?
    Mine? I do them with absolutely no knee bend. I do let the hips come forward, and use a bit of layback. Sort of like the old olympic clean and press mechanics, except I don't clean the bar first.
    The Champagne of Beards

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    And how can you mention that every Monday is National Bench Press Day but not mention that every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday is National Curl In-Front-Of-The-Mirror Day?
    The proper way to do it is with a smith machine, preferably with sunglasses on and a grimacing face like the guys in the magazines. Take no-explode pre workout for increased vascularity if you really want to show everyone in the gym who's boss.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Mine? I do them with absolutely no knee bend. I do let the hips come forward, and use a bit of layback. Sort of like the old olympic clean and press mechanics, except I don't clean the bar first.
    That's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    That's pretty impressive.
    Well, thanks. I'm estimating about a 175 lb 1RM based on my 5 reps at 155 yesterday. I currently weigh around 160.

But bodyweight multipliers definitely favor us little guys. That's why the Wilks scores use higher multipliers for the heavier lifters.
    The Champagne of Beards

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, thanks. I'm estimating about a 175 lb 1RM based on my 5 reps at 155 yesterday. I currently weigh around 160.

But bodyweight multipliers definitely favor us little guys. That's why the Wilks scores use higher multipliers for the heavier lifters.
    Good press, brah. My best 5RM so far has been 165lb, and I am considerably heavier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast