Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If I could do only one exercise it would be to squat ...Here's why page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Squat for me, too. It's also the one I'm best at.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    OK just got done watching the last half of that video (skipped the early anatomy lesson... know that stuff ). So I really liked it! And I totally agree with his stock answer to almost all fitness questions "It depends".

Found the info on knee tracking with narrow vs wider and the stuff about knees going past toes vs staying back really informative. I may give some of those ideas a shot and try squatting again. Might "allow" my knees to track just a bit more forward than my super strict restrictions on that from before. According to his info there this would increase stressors on the knee, but reduce it on the low back....might be great for my issues.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am not going to see that video, but if I was in jail and was allowed to come out for 30 minutes per day to do one exercise only, I had chosen sprint because of all the possibilities. If had to choose one exercise from the weight room, I would have chosen bent over rows that gives much more opportunities to work the lower and upper body than a squat and even a deadlift…

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I am not going to see that video, but if I was in jail and was allowed to come out for 30 minutes per day to do one exercise only, I had chosen sprint because of all the possibilities. If had to choose one exercise from the weight room, I would have chosen bent over rows that gives much more opportunities to work the lower and upper body than a squat and even a deadlift…
    You could bastardize your deadlift into a bent row as you come up and the guards would be none the wiser!

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If we are basing the merit of an exercise on the amount of body parts it hits then Man Makers would probably be king. Pretty much takes all the exercises and throw them into one crazy ass exercise.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You could bastardize your deadlift into a bent row as you come up and the guards would be none the wiser!
    He,he, it may look a little "hybrid" when bending the legs and pulling from the floor from a deficit, with a supinated grip you'll get plenty of biceps and posterior delts activation, and standing more upright for upper traps etc, plenty of possibilites, and it fries your legs and lower back too...

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Actually after having given it some thought, I might go with repeats of a power clean, to a deep front squat to an over head press. It would ignite a lot of muscle groups and would provide a better overall workout.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Actually after having given it some thought, I might go with repeats of a power clean, to a deep front squat to an over head press. It would ignite a lot of muscle groups and would provide a better overall workout.
    I do these on occasion for "conditioning" (read: unadulterated pure torture). I don't know if they have a real name, but I call them "deathlifts". I think if someone roughly my size can do 5x8 of these with 135 on the bar they're a total stud.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Lots of muscle groups, but how heavily can you load these compared to a squat?
    The Champagne of Beards

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lots of muscle groups, but how heavily can you load these compared to a squat?
    I don't do these often, but I use 135 and aim for sets of 8, and they obliterate me. I'm not saying they're optimal for strength and growth, especially in the squat department, but...

I do kinda wonder how heavy I could get these if I focused on them for a while, but it's more in the "wonder" category with "I wonder how bad it really hurts to be bitten in half by a Great White?" category. Not really sure I'd like to find out.

You do have to tinker with your grip width/hand placement a bit to make it all work. Start kinda light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast