Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What your body wants you to eat page 6

gergirl Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The reason I don't believe that the body is a no-fault gauge of "desire, therefore you need it," is addiction. From sugar addiction to chemical addictions, the body wants what makes it feel good at a moment in time. I've heard that the human is motivated by two things: the seeking out of those things that make it feel good, and the avoidance of those things that make it feel bad. I.e., we lust for pleasure, and we avoid pain.

Since there are many things that make us feel good in the short run, and since there are so many of us that eat to unwellness, I think that listening to "one's body" is a fallacy.

Your brain tells/teaches you what optimal health is. You pursue optimal health. Eventually you find it, and it has nothing to do with what your body wants you to eat. It has everything to do with learning what is good for you.
    I think we have to re-learn to listen to your body. IHO, it is possible to eat intuitive. As I said before, I can go weeks without certain foods and even when I "binge" I almost everytime eat whole and healthy food with the macro I seem to be missing. I barely eat processed food and never junk. When I jump into my chocolate cereals is almost everytime because of stress and when I'm tired and haven't eaten enough during the day. That's the point to work on. If there are no cereals around, I eat rice or any other carbs.
    So I'm pretty clean and definetely not addicted. You're right, there can be an addiction to certain food but I think that always goes with some emotional deficiencies - that's where someone has to search for reasons of eating disorders (I know what I'm talking about, btw) and you have to differentiate between what you're craving: crap or healthy, nutritional thiings. What remains the same is that both groups overeat from time to time, but the reasons why one does so make the difference!
    And someone working out lot shoould definetely listen to the cravings - what is my body telling me and missing? Workout -nutrition-balance?!
    Again: Just my opinion!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    I think we have to re-learn to listen to your body. IHO, it is possible to eat intuitive. As I said before, I can go weeks without certain foods and even when I "binge" I almost everytime eat whole and healthy food with the macro I seem to be missing. I barely eat processed food and never junk. When I jump into my chocolate cereals is almost everytime because of stress and when I'm tired and haven't eaten enough during the day. That's the point to work on. If there are no cereals around, I eat rice or any other carbs.
    So I'm pretty clean and definetely not addicted. You're right, there can be an addiction to certain food but I think that always goes with some emotional deficiencies - that's where someone has to search for reasons of eating disorders (I know what I'm talking about, btw) and you have to differentiate between what you're craving: crap or healthy, nutritional thiings. What remains the same is that both groups overeat from time to time, but the reasons why one does so make the difference!
    And someone working out lot shoould definetely listen to the cravings - what is my body telling me and missing? Workout -nutrition-balance?!
    Again: Just my opinion!
    I totally agree with you. But who among us doesn't have some emotional deficiencies? We fix or try to ease our mental booboos with various things. Those who choose a long walk, a strenuous work out, etc., are at the healthy end of the spectrum. Those who choose drugs, alcohol, food, or even a fist fight are at the other end.

Grok probably didn't listen to his body. He ate whatever he caught (or found) and he was grateful because he didn't know if he'd find another slow-moving warthog tomorrow.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's definitely not an either/or question. Food-seeking behavior is influenced by current status of protein, sodium, glycogen and other quick-depleting nutrients. The savory, salty, and sweet taste buds will go from overstimulated to indifferent as we eat for this reason.

And yes the system is definitely hackable. Addiction is an incendiary word but it usually refers to "joyless compulsion" and poor diets often fit this bill. Consider the folks who get the same dismal gas station donut or Arby's drivethru combo all the time, swallow rapidly in the car without chewing, have no curiosity about other flavors and textures, and feel vaguely urgent panic if something interferes with the ritual. There are probably many subtle deficiencies that result in non-specific hunger and if the only nearby options are more empty calories then...
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I totally agree with you. But who among us doesn't have some emotional deficiencies? We fix or try to ease our mental booboos with various things. Those who choose a long walk, a strenuous work out, etc., are at the healthy end of the spectrum. Those who choose drugs, alcohol, food, or even a fist fight are at the other end.

Grok probably didn't listen to his body. He ate whatever he caught (or found) and he was grateful because he didn't know if he'd find another slow-moving warthog tomorrow.
    Definetely...he ate what he could get..maybe that's the reason why we have our cravings (talking about to ones of sportive people, not the ones with a serious eating disorder). Could it be that our body thinks it has to fill up what (macros) we kept back for a while, with or without intentions???

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456