Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What your body wants you to eat page 2

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think sometimes our natural cravings can be satisfied by unnatural things; for example magnesium deficiency causing a chocolate binge.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure cravings mean we're lacking something we need, but it's probably a mistake to default to the idea that what we crave is the thing that we really need. For example, I almost can't get enough cooked veggies, especially cooked in some kind of yummy fat. However, I also know after 18 mos of eating whole foods that I feel better if I eat more protein than my natural inclinations lead me to. My body probably wants micronutrients in the veggies and yet if I fill up on them, I won't eat enough protein. What I probably need is more organ meat. I don't have a good source for good quality organ meat. I get a small amount when I buy a whole lamb, but I'm a bit squeamish about organs in general. That's a cultural thing that has impacted my emotional and practical food choices. My solution is to deliberately eat as wide a variety of whole foods as I can, so as to not to deprive my body of what it really needs.

It seems to be working OK. I eat what feels like a lot for a woman my size. I "cheat" regularly with beer and less often with top quality wheaty baked goods. My visible body fat continues to melt away despite only 2x/week yoga for exercise. I think if your focus is nourishing your body, it's hard to go too far wrong.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    How we interpret our cravings is highly subjective. Many times I have read someone say that they craved chocolate, but what they described eating (Milky Way bars) was high in fat and sugar, but contained little chocolate. So perhaps what they were craving was fat, and their analysis of their cravings was incorrect.

But then on the other hand, it is possible that what they were craving really was chocolate, in which case they could have eaten an entire bag of Milky Way bars and gotten insufficient chocolate to satisfy their cravings. No doubt they did eat the entire bag. Or if they were in the conscious fat-free mode, they could have eaten a bag or two of Snackwells.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    agave sirup
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    clean meaning no added sugars, non-processed
    Not much less processed or less deserving of being called an added sugar than agave syrup.
    The Champagne of Beards

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have been making liver fajitas lately and even the squeamish man of the house really likes them. In a frying pan the liver goes (chicken or beef) with onions, red and yellow bell peppers and chiles with adobo sauce. Serve with burrito fixings (cilantro, avocado, lettuce, tomato, salsa etc). Delicious.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    The only nutrients I believe your body can 'tell' you its missing are salt, water, calories and carbs, perhaps fat and meat/protein as well. The rest seems like wishful thinking to me. For your body to relay that its missing lets say magnesium, and therefore it wants you to eat magnesium rich foods is a pretty complicated chain of events and I believe its too specific.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 11-14-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I've been known to crave protein or fat.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Most people's body tells them -- give me unlimited amounts of sugar!!!

It's just that those types of foods were not available in today's amounts. The whole "listening to your body" is kinda tricky since what we are adapted to, and what exists now, are two different things. Plus so many manufactured foods are engineered to be addictive.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    The only nutrients I believe your body can 'tell' you its missing are salt, water, calories and carbs, perhaps fat and meat/protein as well. The rest seems like wishful thinking to me. For your body to relay that its missing lets say magnesium, and therefore it wants you to eat magnesium rich foods is a pretty complicated chain of events and I believe its too specific.
    I think your underestimating the human brain.

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

Not much less processed or less deserving of being called an added sugar than agave syrup.
    Jepp, I know that. But I can decide how much...no added sugar means, products where I cannot decide how much sugar or hidden sugar is in...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast