Thread: Pulled muscle recovery - Help! page

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member

Pulled muscle recovery - Help!

During a series of sprints, I pulled an ab muscle, rectus abdominis, upper left side, below rib cage, in front of stomach.

Any suggestions on recovery? It has been about a week since the injury. While not debilitating, it is definitely stopping me from doing most exercises. I've been taking it easy, stretching, and applying Arnica to the muscle.

The kicker is that it tightens and starts to cramp when I am laying on my back, so it is extremely tight upon waking.

EDIT: I have also injured this area before, 4 months ago I received a bruised rib from MMA.
    Last edited by Primal_BK; 11-14-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    During a series of sprints, I pulled an ab muscle, rectus abdominis, upper left side, below rib cage, in front of stomach.

Any suggestions on recovery? It has been about a week since the injury. While not debilitating, it is definitely stopping me from doing most exercises. I've been taking it easy, stretching, and applying Arnica to the muscle.

The kicker is that it tightens and starts to cramp when I am laying on my back, so it is extremely tight upon waking.

EDIT: I have also injured this area before, 4 months ago I received a bruised rib from MMA.
    Are you sure it's muscle? I don't want to concern you but it could be your ziphoid process. The only reason I say this is because of the previous injury. You may have either bruised it or a ligament.

Definitely muscle.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Definitely muscle.
    Not much to say but make sure to rest it. Abs are a tough one because they're involved in everything so they'll slow you down a lot. Arnica is good, a good protein powder, you could try taurine or arginine. Both of these help bring nutrients to muscles and clear away the waste products. Magnesium helps with recovery or a good quality BCAA with out a stimulant.

Massage helps a lot. If you can find a good RMT that would be my best suggestion. Mine has worked wonders for me. Try to find one that is used to working on athletes you will get your best results there.

I have wrapped it with a 4" wide bandage which almost immediately relieved some strain.

Question though, is it normal for the muscle to be a little more sore as the stiffness disappears and mobility comes back?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Google the following: Starr Rehab Protocol
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have wrapped it with a 4" wide bandage which almost immediately relieved some strain.

Question though, is it normal for the muscle to be a little more sore as the stiffness disappears and mobility comes back?
    Depends on the degree of strain... how much "tearing" actually occurred. It can be though. If you are getting generally more motion and mobility though then you're on the right path. Rich makes a good recommendation though. In general I usually recommend getting to active full ROM before loading then starting light with high reps for recovery. So rehab looks like this....passive ROM increases (someone else...or you move the muscle through its normal ROM)....then active ROM to normal...then loading. I think the Starr protocol is up that alley from what I've read with light high rep work and progressive loading to rehab.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-15-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'll check out the Starr rehab protocol.