Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein bars page

Hazy1966 is offline Member

Protein bars

Hi,

I have found that protein bars, although not particularly primal, satisfy my infrequent sugar cravings. One particular bar I like lists the contents as:

Protein 18.2g
    Fat 5.8g
    Carbs 3.5g

Energy 205 calories.

Now, at 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs and 9 calories per gram of fat, the bar should be about 125 calories.

Where are the other 80 calories?

The bar also lists Maltitol, Glycerol, and Polydextrose.

How does the body treat these ingredients....the same way as carbs?

Cheers,

Neil
    Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
    86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
    Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
    Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
    Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Mystery calories!

Aren't these "workout bars" basically junk food?

Cavewizard is offline Member
    It is the sugar alcohols, yes. They can't be stored as fat, or at least that's what I've heard. I think its true because my body always stores anything I eat with them in it explosively in the toilet.
    Starting DL: 135 Now: 380
    Starting Bench: 115 Now: 255
    Goal: Get stronger.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quest bars aren't too bad. Quest Low Carb Gluten Free Protein Bars - Official Site they taste pretty good too. IIRC they use erithritol so you basically just urinate it out and the isomalto-oligosaccharides are basically just fiber. Real food is better though.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Definitely Quest bars are the way to go if you're going to eat protein bars.

Yes real food is better, but at those times of need a Quest bar is hardly going to harm you. They're made of real food apart from sweeteners (ones that aren't too bad anyway) and are all around the 160-180 calorie mark.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Quest bars aren't too bad. Quest Low Carb Gluten Free Protein Bars - Official Site they taste pretty good too. IIRC they use erithritol so you basically just urinate it out and the isomalto-oligosaccharides are basically just fiber. Real food is better though.
    I buy these for DD who is an athlete and needs something non-perishable (and not weird, lol) to keep in her skate bag. I think they're like super stiff cookie dough - blech! But she likes the cinnamon roll flavor. I think a person could do a lot worse...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

bjjcaveman is offline Member
    I actually did an experiment with Quest protein bars checking my blood sugars periodically afterwards... and was surprised that it actually bumped me to the 140-150 range. This was pretty consistent across all flavors. When I brought it up to their customer service they gave me a refund.

Something to keep in mind. It's not consistent across everyone, but there are enough people out there with this effect that if you google it, you'll find some results.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavewizard View Post
    It is the sugar alcohols, yes. They can't be stored as fat, or at least that's what I've heard. I think its true because my body always stores anything I eat with them in it explosively in the toilet.
    I had to laugh at this one because the symptoms describe my experience with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I buy these for DD who is an athlete and needs something non-perishable (and not weird, lol) to keep in her skate bag. I think they're like super stiff cookie dough - blech! But she likes the cinnamon roll flavor. I think a person could do a lot worse...
    Yeah the cinnamon roll is the only one I like.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
    I actually did an experiment with Quest protein bars checking my blood sugars periodically afterwards... and was surprised that it actually bumped me to the 140-150 range. This was pretty consistent across all flavors. When I brought it up to their customer service they gave me a refund.

Something to keep in mind. It's not consistent across everyone, but there are enough people out there with this effect that if you google it, you'll find some results.
    I've seen in a private community of serious bio-hackers where this both was and wasn't the case, I think it's very specific to the individual. I suspect some gene treats one of the sweeteners as regular sugar and some people express this and others don't. Pure speculation though. You can pretty much always find a free blood glucose meter so if one were to get some you could always test on yourself. Check fasted blood glucose, eate a bar wait 15 minutes check, wait 30 minutes check, wait 90 minutes check. Do again under similar conditions with something you know doesn't contain any sort of sugar or sweetener.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast