Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you gain muscle and strength on a calorie deficit ? page 2

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So there's your answer right there. Eat 500-1000 calories over your maintenance level but make it healthful foods, not garbage. Go ahead and eat all the potatoes and rice you want/can, too. It will help. So will eating a lot of high protein foods.
    Surely there has to be compromise though between health and calories. A healthy diet is naturally lower in calories and higher in satiation, especially where protein and fat are concerned. It is little wonder how bulking was achievable on a presumably low fibre un satiating diet..
    And as an example, guru Sisson was a self confessed ice cream addict at the pinnacle of his sporting career

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I will usually lose a few pounds off the 1RM's if I do a severe cut, for example 30-40% below maintenance. I am in the middle of a slow cut now (15% under), intermittent days only. Doing this, I can slowly lower BF% and actually make mild gains. My usual 4-6 month plan is to cycle between 2 weeks of higher carb/calorie powerlifting at higher reps, then 2 weeks of lower cals with only strength maintenance lifting of many fewer reps.

So no, one cannot add strength at 30% below BMR unless serious lifting is a new thing for their body. It's just reality. Cycles of strength then cut, patience and execution of the routine is everything
    "The Sheep generally do not like the Sheepdog. He looks a lot like the Wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence.....the Sheep are thus disturbed by the Sheepdog. He is a constant reminder that there are Wolves in the land.

Until the Wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries to hide desperately behind the one, lonely Sheepdog."

-- Col Dave Grossman

ryanmercer is online now Senior Member
    I saw a study some time ago that said yes, you could increase muscle on a deficit (and even with no protein) however this was using rats or mice which is basically useless. That being said, there are a lot of strong people the world around that don't eat a whole lot... then of course the leangains.com movement (however I'm not sure how much of a deficit if any they actually have, it's just IF mostly).
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Rick Rube is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Why the deficit at all? Not understanding why there has to be a tradeoff unless you have some fat to lose. Doesn't have to be low nutrients/high cal OR high nutrients/low cal.

Can't you eat well while in maintenance or in a surplus for your strength/muscle gains?
    Because I want to start practicing calorie restriction

and thank you everyone who replies to this thread

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Surely there has to be compromise though between health and calories. A healthy diet is naturally lower in calories and higher in satiation, especially where protein and fat are concerned. It is little wonder how bulking was achievable on a presumably low fibre un satiating diet..
    And as an example, guru Sisson was a self confessed ice cream addict at the pinnacle of his sporting career
    A healthy diet is not necessarily lower in calories. Anyone who wants to grow substantial new tissue has to eat more calories than he needs. There's no way around it unless he's new to weight lifting and/or really super fat.

I simply cannot lift more if I don't eat more. It's not a huge amount more though because I'm an older lady. I certainly do not need junk food to eat more.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12