Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas page 2

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We rarely have christmas presents. Only when somebody in the family pushes for it we do small things. it happened like 2 times in the last 10 years or so.
    Normally we have a nice family dinner and have a fun night out in the bar but besides that christmas isn't really celebrated.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    I don't like Sinterklaas (something like Santa Claus, for all you Americans who have no idea who I'm talking about. ) or Christmas. Like someone else said, I too got presents that I hadn't asked for - socks, shirts, skirts etc. and other things that I didn't care for when I was younger. I pretended to be happy and politely said "Thank you!" each time (even though I had no idea where the gifts came from, haha, because we pull names out of a bowl a few months before Sinterklaas ).

Every year when we got home my Mom had me sit down with the box full of presents. I had to go through them one by one and be grateful.

Way to make me feel like "un ungrateful shitweasel" for not being happy with things I did not ask for.

My aversion to it now, though, stems more out of costs. We're celebrating Sinterklaas 4 effing times this year. Goodbye savings!!! I'd say... I might bail next year. -_-'
    "Bread-Bread-Dinner
    It ain't makin' me any thinner
    I eat a sandwich for break-fast
    And then I have a sugar blast!
    I eat toasted bread for lunch
    And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
    At dinner I eat pasta
    And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    For years and years, Xmas was the only break I got from school or residency. For this reason it has a very special place, as the time I am with my family no matter what. It is not a remotely religious holiday for us.....it falls at the time of year it does because of the pagans anyway, not because Christ was supposedly born in December. Easter is religious (also that time of year due to the pagans), Christmas is for family
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Christmas varied from year to year when I was growing up. Some years were more "plentiful" than others. Christmas holds that special place in my heart for the long break from school, even though now I don't get a long break from work! If I'd planned ahead, I could have taken off the 23rd for a 5 day break, but now I don't have enough PTO. From college years till now, my contributions to family Christmas have been my presence and a single gift to close family (and sometimes friends). I'm getting my husband some bunny slippers and baking supplies. I will probably make applesauce for the rest of my family, or maybe some sourdough bread.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    This was on Facebook for Christmas ideas: something they want
    Something they need
    Something to wear
    Something to read.
    I think that is a great idea. I like giving gifts and usually just give out homemade goodies. People love a jar of hot fudge or spiced nuts. I try and stick with consumables for any adult in my life.

I think there is too much pressure just to thoughtlessly give gifts. I go shopping every year with a friend and it's like a stressful attempt to get everyone checked off the list with something from the mall, stuff it into bags.... Her inlaws are just big into a ton of presents for everyone.

My family, we have backed off in recent years because it literally become an exchange of $25 amazon.com cards. Shipping gifts is too expensive. My mom still gets me presents. And we got a lot of presents as kids, but 90% of them were things we needed like clothes etc. The funniest year was literally the year when all my gifts were for my horse, LOL!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    I have explained to my daughter about the story of Santa Claus and Jesus' birth and I think she understands that gifts she receives at Christmas are representative of the gifts given to baby Jesus, and are not from Santa Claus.
    You know St. Nicolas is Santa right? He was a real person that lived in Turkey. He was given a saint status by the church. He gave gifts & money to the poor.
    When asked if Santa is real I have told my children he was & people give gifts in his name to continue his generosity.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    You know St. Nicolas is Santa right? He was a real person that lived in Turkey. He was given a saint status by the church. He gave gifts & money to the poor.
    When asked if Santa is real I have told my children he was & people give gifts in his name to continue his generosity.
    Santa has been grown from a variety of different cultures and traditions. He's not exclusively based from St. Nicholas.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Santa has been grown from a variety of different cultures and traditions. He's not exclusively based from St. Nicholas.
    Yes, Sweden has Jul Tomte and that is a gnome, not a saint.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post

I don't even know what to say to that.
    Wordless pity is appropriate I think.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    At this point I have so much clutter I'd rather skip all the gift stuff. I'd love to go out for dinner or something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast