Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching before and after training /racing? page

munter is offline Junior Member

Stretching before and after training /racing?

Hello fellow Athletes

I have always been told how important it is to stretch although I struggle to make it a priority. Just wondered if anyone is still stretching and whether it is indeed beneficial ?

Cheers,
    Munter

tedhoyt is offline Junior Member
    AFter a run, before and after Crossfit. Gotta admit the after run stretches are more pretty quick. After Crossfit I pay more attention.

robf is offline Member
    I do stretching as a separate work out and it is beneficial. I do a good warm up followed by the work out and then a cool down. I follow CF 3 days on 1 off and on the off days I do yoga. This works great and no issues with injuries. I am not a flexible person to begin with but the yoga every fourth day helps me out flexibility wise and as an active rest from CF. I don't think stretching as part of a warm up or cool down is good. I know others in here might disagree with me but I have read articles that support the no stretching before/after a work out and personal experience. I am not a trainer but I have been in the army for 20 years and out perform soldiers 20 years younger then me regularly and I don't stretch before or after work outs.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    I'm an avid basketball player and have played for years without ever doing a lot of stretching. This last year (I'm 29) was literally one nagging injury after another. You name it, I had it. Plantar Fasciitis, ankle pain, shin pain, calf pain, knee pain, hamstring pain, glute pain, lower back pain...usually only one or two at a time and never due to direct trauma...just nagging pains that would come and go. Each new pain, I would research it and try everything to fix the problem, but most treatment goes back to "RICE" and stretching. So I slowly began to do specific stretches regularly for each pain, and sure enough they each slowly went away...except for the knee pain which has finally been getting better the more and more I go barefoot.

Point is, between Yoga (1-2 times a week) and the 20 min twice daily stretching I now do that incorporates everything from head to toe, I feel great. In fact, other than one mildly sore knee, I feel as good as I ever have. I attribute a lot of it to PB, which sort of came along with my stretching/barefoot routines, and the combination has been excellent.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you need to stretch before you exercise unless you have tight muscles. Even then I would prob just foam roll and do dynamic stretching. Stretching can decrease your power output for a few hours because it alters the length tension relationship of muscles. It isn't a big deal unless you are competing I guess..... and for some people stretching is a psychological thing.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Stretching can actually make you more prone to injury. It's all explained in Body By Science.

I perform functional 'stretching' where I replicate the movement I'm going to be doing in a less intense manner. IE. when I go sprinting, I jog there to make sure I'm nice and warm. I've been doing this before every one of my sprinting sessions and haven't experienced an injury whatsoever.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Primal Dave is offline Member
    I agree with Lovestoclimb. An "active warmup" is far superior to stretching. Coach Glassman from CF posted a couple articles about it you can find pretty easily. For example, on a lift day I'll just use the 45lbs bar and go through some deadlifts, squats, cleans, shoulder & push presses prior to loading the bar up. Gives the benefit not only of warming up the body, but also as a good check of technique/form. Same would go for sprint days - walk a bit, maybe a little jog...then let the sprints rip. I kind of took a Grok approach to this, too - would Grok have stopped to stretch before lifting a log to build a shelter? No, but he probably moved some other stuff and walked around a bit earlier in the day. Did he stretch before sprinting after a deer or running away from an attacker? Probably not, but he probably had already walked a mile or more on the hunt anyway and was warm. Here again, the activity level prior to the "event" is the important part, in my humble opinion.
    “Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.” Unknown

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    +1 for what Primal Dave said. Active warmups are best and they are going to hit all the same muscles as the activity you are about to perform.
    I grok, therefore I am.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Stretching before exercises can actually have a negative impact on the exercise (reduced power) and there are studies which show that it doesn't prevent injuries. Stretching after exercises ... well, if it makes you happy. IMO stretching is best done as a separate exercise, on a rest day.

henrypilarski is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The stretch that is most important is after your exercise. The lactic acid in your muscles builds up and will cause soreness if you do not properly stretch after your run. Usually the only stretch I do before my run is when I get out of bed, literally that quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast