Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power cleans page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Power cleans

I've been doing some power cleans with my trainer at the gym. i am slowly getting the hang of them but they are unlike anything i have ever done before so i am enjoying them lots. does anyone else do them? any benefits they have noticed? tips?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I love them. They totally wipe me out.

Sent via lightsaber

yes i am finding they are way more intense than i thought they would be. i only do 30kgs atm but it is quite challenging. i am so used to that slow deliberate heavy weight lifting too that this is quite a change. where are you supposed to feel them the most?

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Definitely not an exercise I'd recommend but if you really enjoy them then keep at it.

finitely not an exercise I'd recommend
    how come? i tend to vary things alot but keep in the core stuff like lunges, deads, squat and bench so this is just a phase i am going thru.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I tried to do them for a while after I took a class in Olympic lifting. We're not allowed to do any of the Olympic lifts in the gym I go to, but you can do power cleans. I never could get the hang of it. Recently I have been watching a guy do hang cleans and I've been thinking that maybe I could get the hang of those. There's something about these kinds of lifts that feels good to me.

Oh and I asked Rip once if I should do them and he said get my deadlift up to 200 and then think about powercleans. I think he was trying to snarkily blow me off. My deadlift may never get to 200lbs but it seems that powercleans could still have some kind of positive effect. Anyway, I don't do them at the moment.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    how come? i tend to vary things alot but keep in the core stuff like lunges, deads, squat and bench so this is just a phase i am going thru.
    Because unless you are going to compete in weightlifting there is nothing to be gained from doing explosive/Ballistic lifts.......there is however a lot to lose by way of injuries. Effort should always be to maximize constant tension on the working muscles not reduce it during most of the move and have them overloaded during other parts.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    powercleans... are often just cleans performed with really, really atrocious form. assuming you can do them right, they're a great conditioning exercise, and i would basically think of them like sprints; except with really demanding technique. but they'll get your heart rate up, that's for sure.

in full disclosure, i suck at powercleans. i still do them sometimes though in very low-rep sets, to insure that my crappy technique doesn't get too god-awful. the speed component is a very cool thing, once you get a feel for it.

all that being said, i'm pretty sure that doing weighted jumps would have the same effect.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I should point out that although I like them and do them fairly regularly, I treat them like an accessory lift or conditioning. I'm not pushing myself to go heavier and heavier; I keep my heaviest ones at my body weight or a little below.

Sent via lightsaber

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and I asked Rip once if I should do them and he said get my deadlift up to 200 and then think about powercleans
    on a good day, i can dead 87.5kgs which is 192.5 lbs but i did one of my little intercostal muscles recently ( dog related injury )so i havent been deading for the last 4-6 weeks. back into it next week. i'm not power cleaning a huge amount of weight. 30kgs is only like 66lbs which is well within the realms of my ability. i'm not failing or dropping the weight or feeling pain in any way. i get a lot more flushed and feel alot more puffy when i do them compared to say a big deadlift which i like. i doubt i will ever be a competitive weight lifter LOL the competitive power lifters do go to my gym but they have loads of special equipment and they dont do the full ROM so it doesnt appeal to me.
    Last edited by seaweed; 11-13-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: cant quote!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast