Thread: 1 week challenge - need input! page

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member

Exclamation 1 week challenge - need input!

So here's the deal. I suck at eating vegetables. I've never really liked them, and I've never really eaten them. But since switching to primal, I've noticed that a lack of fibrous foods is wreaking havoc on my GI (plus I just need to eat more veggies anyways).

So I want to challenge myself, and here's where your guys'/gals' help comes in. I want to draw out a weekly meal plan that has a good amount of veggies in it, along with my meats and fats. And even though I'll hate every minute of it, I think once I feel the benefits, it'll help me get over some of my veggies issues.

Veggies I like (or tolerate):
    -Red/green pepper
    -Onion
    -Spinach

Taboo Veggies:
    -Mushrooms
    -Green/lima beans

So if you have some free time to post some meal suggestions, that would be super awesome (and helpful!). Thanks guys

P.S. I'll be starting it Monday the 14th, which coincides with a week long vacation, yay

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Im addicted to spinach in my omelettes...I like veggies but I am picky about them...spinach is my savior. I find that any veggie I can tolerate tastes way better in omelettes. I also make a lot of ground beef heavily seasoned with red peppers, onions and spinach a lot (its kind of my version of chili in a way I guess)
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

batty is offline Senior Member
    i came -->| |<-- this close to getting a spinach tattoo.

spinach is so versatile. sautee it and put it in omelettes. one of my favoritest lunches is a mess of ground turkey fried with carrots and spinach, and then simmered in coconut milk and a spoonful of red curry paste. make a BAS to accompany your meat. make veggie kebabs and grill them - use cauliflower, peppers, onion, zucchini, whatever you got. a lot of vegetables grilled increases the NOM content, IMO.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Frozen spinach is undetectable in a smoothie. Every veggie tastes awesome roasted at 400 degrees in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Dose with fat and seasoning. Chop any veggie up into wee bits and saute those suckers with some ground beef.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm a carrot addict right now. I've been making carrot "fries" like every night. OMG, they're so good in smoothies too. They're just the right amount of sweet.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    You could try shredded zucchini "pasta" with meat sauce, cucumber rounds topped with chicken or egg salad, I also like spinach sauteed with meatballs and sauce. Sounds weird but it's really good.
    I am loving all the greens that are in season right now. We had fresh swiss chard and beet greens mixed the other night with plenty of butter, that was really good. Maybe make a vegetable or chicken soup with lots of veggies one night? Stir-fry's with chicken, beef, or shrimp are a good way to try out a new veggie like bok choy with peppers and onions. And who doesnt like steamed or roasted broccoli as a side for steak? Oh, and a big primal salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion, carrots, and plenty of meat, avocados, hard boiled eggs, BACON on salad is a good way to make all the veggies taste better Not that I don't love my veggies if you can't tell. I don't think there is even ONE I don't like. Good luck!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    kale chips. soooo good. just tear up kale, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, roast in the oven till crispy and enjoy. kicks the behind of taterchips

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast: Sauté mixed veggies and add a few eggs = veggie scramble

Lunch= BAS

Dinner = Meat & Roasted veggies

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Big (Large!) pat of pastured butter in a large pan with lid. Add: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, brussles sprouts, squash, the list goes on. Whatever you can get organic and tasty looking. Salt and pepper liberally. Cook slowly over medium-low heat, covered, without stirring much (let the veg on the bottom brown a bit). When the "hardest" veg is thoroughly cooked and a bit brown, you are done. Take your time though. Top with balsamic vinegar or squeeze lemons if you like. Serve beside meats, make plenty of of leftovers, chop up and put into omelettes.
    To get fancy, put the slow-cooking veggies in five minutes before the fast-cooking ones.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    kale chips. soooo good. just tear up kale, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, roast in the oven till crispy and enjoy. kicks the behind of taterchips
    That's a great idea. I have lots of kale (part of my CSA box), and I need to get rid of it before I pick up this week's box this afternoon. Kale chips for lunch.