Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huffpo scorns bacon as very unhealthy. Whats the real scoop? page 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So today my breakfast experiment was asking how much was too muich bacon. It turns out that 6 strips isn't too much. (eaten with 3 courgettes and some refried potatoes)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Oh, I don't use it as a protein source; that's what beef and lamb and fish and other meats are for. I use it as a source of deliciousness.

Sent via lightsaber

Mr. Anthony wins the thread!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Bacon is not a high protein food. I eat it as a condiment or a treat, not as my source of dietary protein.
    Back bacon isn't too bad for protein, though.
    Your post literally just reminded me of what Americans call 'bacon'. This BF post has it right (no 5): http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/...rit-in-america.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Huffpo scorns bacon as very unhealthy. Whats the real scoop?

Smoking fatty grassfed beef with a touch of cumin, paprika, and sea salt 👌👌

Or Uyghur style lamb jerky.

That's my bacon.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

zebonaut is offline Member
    What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....But does anyone ever mention the fact that bacon doesn't give you cavities? Doesn't give you IBS? Keeps you thin on a low carb diet? Satisfies? Satiates?
    Last edited by zebonaut; 11-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....
    Celery having nitrates isn't really a sound endorsement for their consumption. 99.9999% of the time I find them vile and when I fancy them, a stalk of two suffices. That hardly matches the quantities in which I would consume bacon if I deemed it 100% safe.

Note: my salt consumption is ridiculously high as, when it drops, I dehydrate. A high sodium diet (cycled, of course, so sometimes no added salt and sometimes salt by the bucketload) is required when no-added-salt leads to you not absorbing much of the water you drink, causing dehydration.
    Hence why bacon is so brilliant. Juicy back bacon, fatty back, meaty centre, loaded with salt? Heaven.
    Last edited by Kochin; 11-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    What is the "beef" so to speak with bacon? Is it the nitrates or the saturated fat. If saturated fat is harmless; and if nitrates are more abundant in celery; then there should be no problem. Yet I continuously see all those studies warning of the dangers of processed foods. So I still eat bacon; but I still get the willies about it....But does anyone ever mention the fact that bacon doesn't give you cavities? Doesn't give you IBS? Keeps you thin on a low carb diet? Satisfies? Satiates?

As much as I love bacon, in my mind the only negative is that it is that the bacon I have access to is certainly less than ideal. So any hormones, antibiotics or whatever the put into them is likely stored in the fat. Bacon is fat. It doesn't stop me from having it but I think that is what the "beef" is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Smoking fatty grassfed beef with a touch of cumin, paprika, and sea salt ����

Or Uyghur style lamb jerky.

That's my bacon.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your bacon sounds awesome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123