Thread: Grassfed vs Organic page

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member

Grassfed vs Organic

Primal Fuel
    I know grassfed meat is preferable to grain fed, and why, but I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes.

I've been primal for 9 months now, and I'm still making adjustments. I felt great at first, but after several months I started feeling worse again. I was having symptoms of inflammation.

So after doing some research, I learned that red meat has a lower omega 6 ratio than poultry, for example, which has been my staple. Since I've increased my poultry, almond flour etc. I've had problems.

So since grassfed is so expensive and less available, I'm wondering is organic beef still preferable to poultry for that?
    How much of a difference does it make?

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member
    Although the ratio of O6:O3 is out of whack in CAFO-raised beef, the total levels of PUFA in beef is extremely low. Considering the cost savings I would much rather eat conventional beef than pay extra for pastured chickens. Really as long as you are avoiding all seed oils and eating some fish every week I don't think the O6 in conventionally raised beef is much of an issue. (More of an environmental/social issue than a health one, anyway.)

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    As long the high omega6mega3 ratio in conventional meat is balanced with seafood with high omega 3 (I eat high quality canned salmon and tuna with lots of omega 3). I don't think grass fed meat is required since omega3 is quite low anyways.

The taste of grass-fed ground beef is so much better than conventional so I would go grass fed with that!

I would try to go with pasteurized chicken though since conventional do have high omega6...again you can balance conventional with seafood but you'll need more

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by imp; 11-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Grass-fed doesn't always mean the animal was grass-fed for its entire life. Make sure it is grass-fed and grass-finished and the farmer uses non GMO grasses. Organic beef just means the animal could be grain fed using organic grains. If you are going to spend the money on organic beef you might as well go the extra mile and buy the organic grass-fed/finished beef. Grass-fed beef has more Vitamin E, Beta Carotene, CLA's and Omega 3 fatty acids than organic grain-fed beef.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed or organic beef isn't worth the cost over conventional raised generally. Make sure the rest of your diet is satisfactory and then worry about these matters.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

endless is offline Senior Member
    Beg to differ...
    Obviously not everyone can afford to buy the best of the best all the time, but it's still important to optimize where we can.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Grass fed or organic beef isn't worth the cost over conventional raised generally. Make sure the rest of your diet is satisfactory and then worry about these matters.
    Where does your information come from? True not everyone can afford it, but your information is false on several levels. There also are sales to take advantage of to eat the highest quality possible. Cheaper cuts are a great way to enjoy highest quality possible.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Where does your information come from? True not everyone can afford it, but your information is false on several levels.

There also are sales to take advantage of to eat the highest quality possible. Cheaper cuts are a great way to enjoy highest quality possible.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Where does your information come from? True not everyone can afford it, but your information is false on several levels. There also are sales to take advantage of to eat the highest quality possible. Cheaper cuts are a great way to enjoy highest quality possible.

What is false and on how many different levels?

The nutritional differences between grain and grass are small. In the first study for instance in 100g of rump cuts conjugated linoic acid was around 25mg in grain fed and 32mg in grass fed. A whopping 7mg difference in 100 grams of meat. In the case of strip loin cuts grain fed was actually superior!

I'm not going to deny that grass fed is superior, it is. It generally has the same or lower omega 6, higher omega 3 and more nutrients but the differences are minor. Minor to the point that unless you are eating several hundreds grams of beef several times a week, it won't make a lick of difference. What's far more important is getting quality foods down your throat, and those of your loved ones. If you are a family of 5, then grass fed may not be on the menu for you and you shouldn't fret about that. Source good beef at all (which doesn't mean organic or grass fed) is most of the way to good health.

Grass fed is the definition of a luxury.

Links for you to read:
    http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/15/1/21.pdf
    Nutrition Journal | Full text | A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef
    Effects of conventional and grass-feeding systems... [J Anim Sci. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore