Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Black Friday - Cheap Junk vs Family Time page

quikky is offline Senior Member

Walmart Black Friday - Cheap Junk vs Family Time

Primal Fuel
    Apparently, Walmart will start their Black Friday sales at 6PM on Thanksgiving:

Wal-Mart steps up competition for holiday shopping: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

How many people will eschew their family dinner to get a five dollar toaster?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone eats "dinner" in the evening on a holiday.

I always skip the live Black Friday sales. If I want to shop, I shop online.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel bad for the people that have to work those sales. Even if they get overtime, time and a half or holiday pay, it would suck to have to miss holiday time with your family to go deal with masses of people wanting crap. I've heard a lot of places, it is mandatory that they come in. I know it comes with the territory with a retail job, but most people aren't working at WalMart because they love retail.... they do it because they have to, and now they get to have to leave their family's day off to go deal with a bunch of rabid assholes.

I could give a shit about people wanting to shop and being excited about it. But seriously, can we just give retail workers a stab at a holiday?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, I have done petsitting all day on Thanksgiving, so skipped a holiday to earn money. I was well compensated, so I can see the appeal for voluntarily working a shift like that.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Working at Walmart on black Friday has got to be one of the worst jobs.

We never shop on BF, in fact we make a point of not buying anything.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am eagerly anticipating the day when stores are open on Christmas Day, to get an early start on the "After Xmas Sales!". You wait, that shit will happen.

I am now just used to my own country making me sick and ashamed of calling myself an American on a daily basis. We have no soul anymore. We now have setup an entire society built on the idea of selling Chinese trash and hamburgers to one another, and calling that a "culture". It is truly a Dark Age for us.

I am giving my employees Wednesday off, as well as the next 2 days of course, to have time to fly or drive to meet their families. Christmas is over a week off....Some things are much more important than my P&L sheet. What a bunch of pathetic consumerist sheep we have. Sickening.

Sorry. Maybe next time I will tell you how I really feel
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I've always chosen to work holidays. I actually like money more than my family.

My family sucks. I never see them because they suck.

The fiance and I have an understanding that we'll see each other in the evening anyways, so working is good.

M.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    I used to work overnight in the backroom for Target before the Thursday night crap started. For a few years we would work the (Wednesday) night before Thanksgiving and get off at ~8am. It was nice to be done work, go home and just enjoy the day. Then we switched to working the night before Black Friday (with Wednesday night off). Instead of our normal 11pm start we started at 7 or 8pm. I don't remember if we opened at midnight or or some stupid early AM hour those years but we were still there when shopping started.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I am eagerly anticipating the day when stores are open on Christmas Day, to get an early start on the "After Xmas Sales!". You wait, that shit will happen.
    Nah, Christmas Day is reserved by the movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post

I am now just used to my own country making me sick and ashamed of calling myself an American on a daily basis. We have no soul anymore. We now have setup an entire society built on the idea of selling Chinese trash and hamburgers to one another, and calling that a "culture". It is truly a Dark Age for us.

I am giving my employees Wednesday off, as well as the next 2 days of course, to have time to fly or drive to meet their families. Christmas is over a week off....Some things are much more important than my P&L sheet. What a bunch of pathetic consumerist sheep we have. Sickening.

Sorry. Maybe next time I will tell you how I really feel
    Good post.

These Black Friday crowds make you wonder what would happen in a real rush to get goods, like war. Can you imagine how people will behave in a situation like that, if they're willing to trample each other to get some crap on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I could give a shit about people wanting to shop and being excited about it. But seriously, can we just give retail workers a stab at a holiday?
    This would require Walmart to put its employees ahead of profits for one day. An unimaginable idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast