Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Me the Straight Goods on Alcohol page

JenniferCampbell is offline Junior Member

Give Me the Straight Goods on Alcohol

Shop Now
    I've heard that certain alcohol products are acceptable within a paleo diet (for example wine) and some are not (for example beer). I'm wondering:
    (1) What is acceptable, what isn't and why?
    (2) Even if something is acceptable within a paleo diet, shouldn't something like alcohol be avoided just because of it's ill effect on health? (For me this is sort of a rhetorical question as I'm trying to get pregnant and as a result am not drinking anything.)

It's frustrating trying to find the real truth about this question since there are so many powerful organizations (think beer companies and governments) that want you to drink a whole bunch (just not so much that you become a drain on the system). Although I, and everyone else out there have heard, with great fanfare about alcochol (particularly wine) having some positive cardio effects, the media coverage seems to be way out of proportion to the conclusiveness of the findings. Conversely, when a researcher discovers that alcohol causes a significant rise in the incident of cancer of the digestive tract, you'll never hear about it unless you dig for the information. Apparently there's a 10% increase in the likelihood of digestive tract cancer (think everything from your lips to your sphincter) for each daily drink you take AND as a result, the overall ill effect on health of a daily drink, from a statistical perspective is far greater than the negligible positive effect on health.

So what's the truth? Is a daily drink or two really good for you or extremely bad for you? And of course, does alcohol (if you just can't live without it) fit into a paleo diet, and if so how?
    Last edited by JenniferCampbell; 11-12-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: want to alter tags, but can't seem to do that.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It's primal to get buzzed off the fermented fruit of the Marula tree.

Distilled spirits have no or negligible gluten (gluten is a protein, proteins don't evaporate, distillation is a process of collecting evaporated ferments)

Wine is okay, if you tolerate it. I found that I can't drink it without it ruining my sleep. Some people have no issues. Might be the sulfites.

Beer has some gluten. I can drink it occasionally without issue. I'ts definitely the 20%.

A drink or two a day has been shown to have some benefits, but it's certainly not necessary.

Getting drunk certainly isn't good for you. It's bad for your workout recovery, your liver, and many other of your body's systems. It's fun to do once in a while anyway. Make sure you only do it if you're going to have a really memorable night, like a bachelor's party.
    The Champagne of Beards

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think nothing is bad for you in moderation, including alcohol, grains, dairy etc. unless you have a sensitivity. The problem is people don't do anything in moderation any more. I know a ton of people who drink a glass of wine every night and wonder why they can't lose weight. Well, a glass of wine is like 5 ounces, but they fill 16 ounce huge glasses to the rim. Well, you drink 3 glasses a night. I know exactly no one who has ONE beer.

So, IMO, a small amount of alcohol, a few times a week or even daily probably isn't bad; the problem is that people have defined "small amount" incorrectly and are drinking a large amount.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Life is short, if you want a beer have a beer.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly having a drink a day is healthier than having none. However, drinking more is not so healthy.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm sure Mark has written on this topic. Go to the home page section and use the search function and maybe you can find some good links to studies and stuff. The search from the home page doesn't return forum topics so you're sure to get Mark's posts that way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sure Mark has written on this topic.
    several times, if memory serves
    The Champagne of Beards

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sure Mark has written on this topic. Go to the home page section and use the search function and maybe you can find some good links to studies and stuff. The search from the home page doesn't return forum topics so you're sure to get Mark's posts that way.
    Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    The limiting factor on alcohol isn't really nutrition. For me a single serving of dry wine or distilled liquor serves a social purpose and I leave it at that. I dislike beer's calorie-alc% ratio.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Alcohol occurs naturally in nature and our early ancestors - human and pre-human alike - consumed it by eating fermented flowers, fruits and berries, among other things. However, in nature, it is difficult to get hold of really big doses like the stuff we drink today. We didn't have distilleries, we didn't drink it by the bottle. In moderation, alcohol is good for you. Getting drunk however - that's NOT good for you.

Beer is definitely off limits for me, it's pure grain and tastes like the fermented wheat porridge it is - yuck! But I wouldn't stop you from taking an occasional drink if you like alcohol and can stomach it. personally I have found that, since I went primal, I've needed very little in the form of alcohol to get the buzz. A single can of apple cider is almost too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast