Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Give Me the Straight Goods on Alcohol page 2

  1. #11
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,310
    Shop Now
    A drink a day is fine. I'm in college, so I average a little more than that . I'm trying to transition from beer to more wine and mead, though.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  2. #12
    gergirl's Avatar
    gergirl Guest
    Think, there's NOT ONE good thing about alcohol from a nutritional point of view.
    It's the industry paying for studies saying that it has a somehow positive effect on our health. These effects can also be triggered by other things.
    Tell the truth: It's just a social thing...losing shyness, being cool, enjoying a good meal and a glass of wine...still "poison" and a liquid that changes you in one way.
    Human beings have always been going for a good jag.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by gergirl; 11-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.

  3. #13
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,250
    The truth on booze, as told by Mr. Anthony:

    1) Don't booze in large quantities all the time if you're trying to lose weight and be healthy.
    2) Booze is awesome; so booze if you want to.
    3) Heavy boozing may cause side effects such as thinking you are funnier than everyone else, making out with iffy members of the opposite sex, impaired judgement as to what height you can safely jump from without injury, and volatile discussions regarding sports teams, pizza toppings, the chasteness of friends' sisters, and which bands rock the hardest.

  4. #14
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    The truth on booze, as told by Mr. Anthony:

    1) Don't booze in large quantities all the time if you're trying to lose weight and be healthy.
    2) Booze is awesome; so booze if you want to.
    3) Heavy boozing may cause side effects such as thinking you are funnier than everyone else, making out with iffy members of the opposite sex, impaired judgement as to what height you can safely jump from without injury, and volatile discussions regarding sports teams, pizza toppings, the chasteness of friends' sisters, and which bands rock the hardest.
    I get better looking and smarter, not just funnier. YMMV.

  5. #15
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I get better looking and smarter, not just funnier. YMMV.
    I think others do too.

  6. #16
    JenniferCampbell's Avatar
    JenniferCampbell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for the input everyone. One thing I notice, not just on this thread, but more or less everywhere; there's a common belief "a drink a day is good for you" or "drinking in moderation is a healthy thing to do". What I heard is that for every daily drink you take, your chances of cancer of the digestive tract increases by 10%, and that the relationship is linear, starting with one drink a day. Also, the increase in expected mortality from cancer is far greater than the decrease in expected mortality from whatever cardio benefits alcohol might bring. In other words, all other things being equal, drinking even a drink a day will reduce your life expectancy. I'll try tracking down the exact source that outlines the linear increase with every drink, but here's what might be considered a reliable source:
    US National Cancer Institute: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...t/Risk/alcohol
    Last edited by JenniferCampbell; 11-12-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: hyper link not working

  7. #17
    ryanmercer's Avatar
    ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Speedway, IN
    Posts
    1,092
    You all miss the most important fact. Life is short, if you want a drink because it brings you pleasure via intoxication or flavor then have a drink. LIFE IS TOO DAMN SHORT.


    Life is a balance, you want to find the middle between optimal health and maximum enjoyment, if you have to give up everything you love to live healthier and longer what is the point if you are miserable?
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 11-13-2013 at 04:31 AM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

  8. #18
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferCampbell View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. One thing I notice, not just on this thread, but more or less everywhere; there's a common belief "a drink a day is good for you" or "drinking in moderation is a healthy thing to do". What I heard is that for every daily drink you take, your chances of cancer of the digestive tract increases by 10%, and that the relationship is linear, starting with one drink a day. Also, the increase in expected mortality from cancer is far greater than the decrease in expected mortality from whatever cardio benefits alcohol might bring. In other words, all other things being equal, drinking even a drink a day will reduce your life expectancy. I'll try tracking down the exact source that outlines the linear increase with every drink, but here's what might be considered a reliable source:
    US National Cancer Institute: Alcohol and Cancer Risk Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute
    I think our body is a system, and we put a lot of variables in it and it's really hard to know the dangers or benefits of everything in moderation. Does a daily drink with your spouse relieve some stress? Maybe it helps your heart by stress relief. Does the thought of a beer with your friends get you out of the house for some activity?

    Or maybe like me, you avoid booze for vanity purposes and deal with the stress of changing your social life/justifying why you have water/being annoyed at drunks. Maybe you change your "stress relief" to something more hazardous than drinking (I started CF, people seem to find that hazardous, LOL). Lots of "healthy" people put their bodies through the ringer with fitness.

    "All other things equal" never really happens... There are very few vice free people that don't seem stressed out. So, I'd say pick your poison, use in moderation. Your body lets you know when it is too much.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    You all miss the most important fact. Life is short, if you want a drink because it brings you pleasure via intoxication or flavor then have a drink. LIFE IS TOO DAMN SHORT.


    Life is a balance, you want to find the middle between optimal health and maximum enjoyment, if you have to give up everything you love to live healthier and longer what is the point if you are miserable?
    high 5. I am awful about remembering this.But the better I start to feel & the more comfortable I get with my body & myself, the more I realize how important happiness is. I've lost almost 80 pounds, I'm under my goal weight (barely, but still..I never thought I'd get here), & I have a husband who loves me & my wide hips. Its time to learn to find some kind of balance & let up some. I've wasted A LOT of time worrying about my weight & my insecurites have kept me from enjoying sooooo many events & special moments. & one of the worst situations ever is being the only sober one in the group..its miserable..why worry about being thin & healthy if I'm going to totally stop living?

    Anyways..sorry for ranting..Hopefully someone who is going through this same crazy mental block will read this & feel better, bc being obsessed with rules & weight is miserable & thats not how its meant to be. Even a caveman will agree with that.

  10. #20
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,933
    Live healthy the majority of the time. Enjoy the remainder as you please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •