Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving....what's for dinner? page

Kris T is offline Senior Member

Thanksgiving....what's for dinner?

Primal Fuel
    This is my first Thanksgiving living Primal.

I had been thinking I would try to focus more on Primal stuff, but then decided to just go for the normal stuff. Basically it is mostly Primal ok anyway. Veggies, turkey, potatoes, those are all fine. The pies and stuffing isn't, but I don't plan to eat much of it. Just on the day and then back to Primal.

How do you all go for Thanksgiving???
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I an hosting a second thanksiving at my apartment on the following Saturday. Here are some options I am considering...

-roasted duck and/ chicken (I don't like turkey and by then everyone is sick of turkey)
    -some sort of rice/ pilaf dish instead of stuffing. (Mushroom & smoked meat in rice sounds kinda good... Must experiment... Maybe Uyghur pilo pilaf for a taste of my hometown)
    -whipped sweet potato with cinnamon, honey, butter, vanilla bean.
    -rosemary roasted potatoes
    -pumpkin flan: egg, pumpkin, coconut milk, maple syrup, gelatin. Topped with whipped coconut cream
    -roasted butternut & carrots.
    -whatever else I come up with. I always invent new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    I am not changing our Thanksgiving meal either because my daughter loves it -- Chicken cornbread dressing with veggies - probably southern field peas and butterbeans cooked with ham, organic creamed corn. Maybe a pie with a gluten free or no crust - probably pecan. I will probably just have some of the dressing and a slice of pie and call it a "20 day" -- of the 80/20 rule. Unless I am totally misunderstanding the 80/20 thing...? Everything will be as certified organic and non-GMO as possible, with good oils. Will repeat at Christmas but probably won't cook anything traditional for New Year's.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Since it is usually just the two of us I have made a chicken instead of turkey, cornish hens instead of turkey and just turkey parts instead of turkey. I'm not too creative about the side dishes. I was considering inventing some kind of chestnut stuffing that has no bread in it. I've never had chestnuts before. Just water chestnuts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Neither my boyfriend nor I care for turkey. If he doesn't go to his ex-wife's house to visit his kids, we'll probably head down to Chinatown for some dim sum. Or we might bring his kids. I don't think they've ever been. They are part-Asian, living in an area where they rarely see Asian faces. It would be a different experience for them.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    well...I lost my dad last winter, so my family decided that we wanted to do something different for the holidays this year. so we're going away for a few days. here's the thanksgiving plan:

Dining Specials - Cape May Bar and Restaurant | Blue Pig Tavern
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I'm the main cook for 2-3 dinners this year. I found this list of recipes, and am gonna use the he out of it:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyr...iving?s=mobile

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    well...I lost my dad last winter, so my family decided that we wanted to do something different for the holidays this year. so we're going away for a few days. here's the thanksgiving plan:

We did something similar the year we lost my dad and it was the best thing we could have done. We went to the mountains and spent the long weekend. We ended up cooking but it was a much simpler meal but it was so nice to be with family in a beautiful cabin in the mountains. We are from south Florida so it is a huge change. It was exactly what we needed even though they thought I was crazy when I suggested it. I am sorry for your loss and I hope you have a wonderful adventure.

We are back to having Thanksgiving at my house and we invite any family we have left and any friends who dont have family in town. We usually end up with somewhere between 12 and 20 people and we have all of the traditional fare. I will usually also pick something different to make like a soup or exotic stuffing (as exotic as stuffing can be). It is probably my favorite holiday because I love to cook and I love to have tons of people in my house eating and laughing.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I go to my brother's and will eat whatever they put out. It's one day a year. There will be:
    Turkey with stuffing
    cranberries
    sweet potatoes
    mash potatoes
    green beans
    salad
    pie, lots of pies

I'm making a mince meat pie and my brother wants some more paleo sweet potatoes so I may make some with a molasses horseradish glaze.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    We did something similar the year we lost my dad and it was the best thing we could have done. We went to the mountains and spent the long weekend. We ended up cooking but it was a much simpler meal but it was so nice to be with family in a beautiful cabin in the mountains. We are from south Florida so it is a huge change. It was exactly what we needed even though they thought I was crazy when I suggested it. I am sorry for your loss and I hope you have a wonderful adventure.

We are back to having Thanksgiving at my house and we invite any family we have left and any friends who dont have family in town. We usually end up with somewhere between 12 and 20 people and we have all of the traditional fare. I will usually also pick something different to make like a soup or exotic stuffing (as exotic as stuffing can be). It is probably my favorite holiday because I love to cook and I love to have tons of people in my house eating and laughing.
    thanks for that. I think it will be really helpful to break the old tradition and start something new. it will never be easy for us, but hopefully this will ease the pain a little bit.

i'm sure that sooner or later we'll be back to doing the traditional thing and having family and friends, etc. just not for a while
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast