Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving....what's for dinner? page 2

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting a TURKDUCKEN from 4505 Meats in San Francisco. They will make up a paleo / gluten free version for you with no cornbread in the stuffing.

turducken_web2.jpg

I also like to make:

Sweet Potatoes, Apples, and Braising Greens
    240487.jpg

Savory Sweet Potato Stuffing
    stuffing2-670x446.jpg

Holiday Brussels Sprouts
    IMG_0282.jpg

and of course:

Everyday Paleo Pumpkin Pie
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    thanks for that. I think it will be really helpful to break the old tradition and start something new. it will never be easy for us, but hopefully this will ease the pain a little bit.

i'm sure that sooner or later we'll be back to doing the traditional thing and having family and friends, etc. just not for a while

You may eventually get back to the traditional or you may end up starting something new by travelling for the holiday. We would have probably kept the tradition of travelling but I have an elderly MIL that really doesnt handle the travel so well any more so we stick around here but we invite anyone who will come. You will definitely be in my thoughts this season.

Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    You may eventually get back to the traditional or you may end up starting something new by travelling for the holiday. We would have probably kept the tradition of travelling but I have an elderly MIL that really doesnt handle the travel so well any more so we stick around here but we invite anyone who will come. You will definitely be in my thoughts this season.
    only time will tell, I guess. my in-laws are out of state, so we usually split the holidays up or try to get everyone to meet at our place. and my mom is only 62, (dad died at 60) so she is more than willing to travel, etc. it's just so, I don't know...

tomi is online now Senior Member
    My in-laws were missionaries in India for 36 years - raising all 4 of their boys there - I'm married to the youngest of the 4. Our family gatherings are always curries and other Indian fare.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    We always go to my folk's house across the state. Dinner is usually
    -roast meat (last 4 years have been pot roast, lamb shank, rib roast, and pork tenderloin)
    -Southern style spinach
    -thermonuclear smashed potatoes (skin on and enough garlic to kill what ails you)
    -homemade mac and cheese (Dad wants to try it with spag squash this year)
    -rolls I don't touch
    -cranberry sauce, from scratch
    -crudite platter (veggies, dip, salsa, chips, cheddar, and summer sausage)
    -whatever else Dad makes that year
    -pumpkin pie (I eat the filling), fat and sugar free chocolate pudding pie (I don't touch it), and I make either a primalish caramel apple pie or a primal pumpkinberry cheesecake. I might do a paleo pecan pie this year.
    -With my family being of Irish/ English/ Germanic/ Nordic (and every other drinking nation on the Continent) heritage, there's plenty of booze to lubricate these offerings.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    This is the only holiday / family gathering my husband and I host, and because we're the only two "primals," we pretty much have the standard spread & chalk it up to 80/20. Our families still like 'conventional fare,' and prepare such dishes to share. We personally don't eat as much of the starch-y, un-Primal stuff as we used to because neither of us cares to feel like sluggish & bloated all day. That being said, if I DO want a piece of pie, I'll have it, but overall it's a no worries day and happens once a year. Just my two cents.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I am going to try my hand at making smoked turducken rolls from just the breasts. I am going to fill at least one with a fruit mixture like cranberries, minced apple, apricots and maybe nuts and bleu cheese, another with a thin layer of homemade pâté. The third maybe stuffed with a traditional gluten free stuffing of some sort. Then I will smoke it on Wednesday and just reheat on Thanksgiving.

I am going to start with a coconut curry pumpkin soup. Not sure exactly what the sides will yet other than they will include sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and a salad. My brother loves regular mashed potatoes so if he comes, I will make a small bowl of them. Dessert will be what ever other people bring, as well as a gf butterscotch pumpkin pie and a gf apple pie. I will also have extra homemade butterscotch creme to drizzle over the desserts or in coffee.

Pumpkin Butterscotch Pie Recipe | Epicurious.com

For Thanksgiving I am probably going to be more PHD then primal with a little extra sugar.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying without much luck for Venison for Thanksgiving. I still have a few days in the season so maybe.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Okay...got this in my mailbox and thought of MDA. Some of these aren't just gluten-free, but are actually paleo (almond crust pumpkin pie, for example).

I am not eat nuts these days, but this list looks pretty yummy: 15 Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes For Sides And Desserts - Food.com
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll be eating all the things.

We actually might do a gluten-free dessert for a friend i'm bringing along; he's troubleshooting some health issues.

Otherwise... turkey, STUFFING!!, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, bread rolls, asparagus, apple pie, pumpkin pie, whipped and ice cream... Mmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast