Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probiotics page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Probiotics

Primal Fuel
    Probiotics confuse the heck out of me. When I've gone to the health food store, standing in front of the display...I never know which ones are good, not so good or way over priced. I can't figure out if they have to be coated to make it through the digestive system or not, or whether the ones that aren't refrigerated are any good or not.

I'm a student on a VERY slim budget. I was hoping to get some recommendations for a quality, and affordable, probiotic. I've been dealing with digestive problems for a while now, I know that my flora is out of whack so I need a good gone. Can anyone suggest a particular brand?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's not cheap, but we've had noticable results w/ primal defense by garden of life. (And my son was taking another expensive one free of his allergens prior to primal defense which didn't seem to do anything compared to what I've seen w/ the primal defense.) We are still new to using it, but I do feel the difference when taking it.

Also, if supps are too expensive, a great source of probiotics is lacto-fermented foods, like kraut, kimchi, and pickles (properly made of course.) They are easy to make (my favorite method is this one--I don't use any starter though, just fyi, all I use are the veggies and water: http://bodyecology.com/cveggies.php ) You can also buy lactofermented veggies in many health food stores--a brand I like is Bubbies--their kosher dills are awesome (pickle making has always been a challenge for me so I just buy them.) Just fyi, only their kosher dills and their kraut is unpasturized and has the good buggies.

Good luck! HTH!

Thanks! I've been wanting to make kimchee, but have been a little afraid to. Making kefir for the first time was kind of a big deal for me, haha. I will check out the Primal Defense and perhaps get up the nerve to make some other fermented foods. Is pickle making difficult? I've never done it.

pk79 is offline Member
    hey fyrepryte, i tried jigsaw, and they really didn't do much for me. jarrow actually i've been able to tell a difference, and i've heard about the garden of life stuff. who knows. maybe i'll try that next.
    boom.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I want to try cultured veg - but there are so many conflicting approaches. The link above is another new one to me. Some (Sally Falllon) recommends covering the veg with whey to get lactic acid in at the outset. Another book I have suggests packing sea salt between layers of veg and bashing them until a brine forms, covering with a weighted plate and leaving it to ferment - but that must surely increase the amount of salt in the diet to high levels?
    Does anyone have a recipe they have used and know works please?

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Check out a website called iherb.com. They have loads of supplements and are quite reasonable priced. One brand that is supposed to be good is healthy origins, they do a very potent probiotic with 30 billion bacteria in it which are stomach acid resistant (They do have a few questionable ingredients like magnesium stearate in the capsule for example).

I hear that the soil based organisms in products like the garden of life primal defense are potentially bad for you!?!?!?! Apparently they're spores that can't be killed off and have the potential for harm.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

stevehtcyl is offline Member
    I make my own molasses water kefir. It's more probiotic than anything you can buy and the running costs include water and the occasional pot of molasses very very cheap.

can anyone verify the info about Primal being not so good for you? Muaythaimike, I heard the same thing at one point, but only saw one resource for it. I can't find anything else on it. I'd totally forgotten about that until you mentioned it and totally just bought a bottle last night. Hopefully it's not too bad for me.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Ye hopefully not, I wouldn't outright say they are bad but they are getting a lot of publicity. We must have come across the same source of info. I don't know if any good studies have been done on them, whereas normal probiotics are tried and tested. I would just err on the side of caution until we know more about them.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'll keep my eyes open for the garden of life info as well--yikes!

Pickles are REALLY hard to make IMO. After around 5 failed batches, I gave up and just buy them.

We avoid dairy at my house so do not use whey. The NT/Sally Fallon fermented recipes use way more salt than needed IMO. The recipe I use (linked above) can be done w/out salt, although I typically sprink a little on the cabbage (which I always use) after chopping it up, but that's all. IMO, the more salt you use, the longer it takes to ferment.

My favorite recipe includes: cabbage, carrots, radishes, garlic, ginger, and onions of some sort, w/ some water and a pinch of salt, alhtough I've made them w/out salt w/ no problems. No starter needed. It's kind of like non-spicy kimchee. And I make it in the manner shared in the link above, then let them sit out anywhere from 3-10 days, depending on the level of tanginess I'm wanting, then refridgerate them.

Check out Wild Fermentation--the book and/or the site for more info on all this as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast