Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23andme page

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member

23andme

Has anybody here done this before?

My wife always bugs me about what I want for Christmas because I never ask for anything specific. I thought this might be interesting. I'm not super worried or looking for any health flags but it could be useful to know.

I'm a bit of a Euro-mutt so a detailed breakdown from the ancestry info could be cool, not to mention finding out how much Neanderthal is in me.

Any thoughts?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I don't want the government to be able to categorize me like that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of it...what is it?
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I did it. His sister has a clotting disorder and we were worried about our kids. Neither of us has the marker, so that was a relief. I found out I have markers for 4 different autoimmune disorders. We found out we had none of the really scary markers.

You need to be pretty knowledgeable to understand what the risk measurements mean though. For example, many of the health issues have a substantial inflammation component. If you're eating a diet different from the average study population, what does that mean for your risk?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I was looking into this too. It seems rather interesting to me and it's affordable. I would like to hear other people's experience too.

neowild is offline Member
    Here's a link to a recent article about the company. I've recently purchased the kit and am currently waiting for the results.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neowild View Post
    Here's a link to a recent article about the company. I've recently purchased the kit and am currently waiting for the results.
    Does this one tell you where your ancestors came from? I know the national geographic site has one but I didn't think 23 and me includes ancestry checks.

neowild is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Does this one tell you where your ancestors came from? I know the national geographic site has one but I didn't think 23 and me includes ancestry checks.
    Yes it does. That's part of the reason I ordered the test.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I did it, and I'm really excited for my African American boyfriend, who has no opportunity to know his background past a ship to America, to try it even though the information is eh eh at best. For example, my ancestry genetically is going to come up Norse. And a lot of Scottish and Irish people say WHAT, I'm not Norse. But if you are Scottish or Irish you are. So remember it gives you the oldest point where there is a divergence that is tested for. It does not give you the points in between, which are generally more complicated.

Also, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) only protects you for medical information in a medical chart with someone you have a provider relationship with. 23andme is specifically NOT a medical provider in order to avoid getting in through with their genetic tests which are not FDA approved (the test is for scientific education). So whether your 23andme information is protected is unknown, but unlikely. Also, what YOU or a close family member share is absolutely NOT protected.

So I would say think twice about sharing your results, and inside 23andme I would not allow the family matching that allows the other person to see how you were matched. These are supposedly junk DNA, but we have no idea what information might be found in there in the future, and it will be out there.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did it as well. It was interesting, but not earth shattering. As far as health stuff goes, nothing came up that a good family history didn't already tell me. But it was interesting to see that my genes only gave a moderate increased risk of heart disease (which kills most of my family), indicating that my lifestyle choices have a great chance to help me. It did identify autoimmune genes - and i do have that.

It also told me I should not consume any caffeine.

One thing that was helpful is that I took the "raw" data and put it in to genetic genie and other analysis systems. I found out that I have some mutations that make it difficult for me the methylate some of the B vitamins and a mutation that makes mercury excretion more difficult. Adding methylated folate to my diet really helped my fatigue issues. And now I am more careful to avoid sources of mercury.

Important to remember that many of those disease risks come from small studies on limited populations. So if you see something interesting that concerns you, click on the actual study to see the risk. Sometimes it's not really a very big deal at all.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast