Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood test results... too low cholesterol & free T? too high TSH? page

Remy is offline Junior Member

Post Blood test results... too low cholesterol & free T? too high TSH?

Hello,
    I've been a Paleo diet guy the last 5-6 years who was strict about it roughly 80% of the time. In the last 2 months I discovered the Bulletproof diet and have been following it pretty closely about 95% of the time. I just did some blood work to see where I stood. Here are some of my results

I'm 31 years old, 6'0 and 175 lbs

Total Cholesterol: 126
    LDL: 59
    HDL: 62
    Triglycerides: 23
    Lp(a): <10
    Apo B: 43
    hs-CRP: 0.2
    Glucose: 76
    HbA1c: 5.4

Estradiol: 37.4
    Free Testosterone: 8.1
    Total Testosterone: 748

TSH: 2.77
    T3: 88
    Free T3: 2.5
    T-uptake 33%
    Total T4: 6.8
    Free T4: 1.15
    Free Thyroxine Index: 2.2

25-Hydroxy Vit D: 41

Even though everything is in the "normal" range, I'm a little concerned at a few things. First, I think my total cholesterol is almost too low (back when I was "healthy" eating whole grains, my cholesterol was actually on the high end). Also, I think my Vit D levels and Free testosterone levels are too low as well. Finally, I think my TSH level is a bit too high.

Right now I plan on taking Brazil nuts for the selenium and switch from sea salt to iodinized salt. Maybe take a supplement of each as well. I'm hoping this will help with the TSH levels and maybe the testosterone levels as well. I'm also upping my VitD3 another 3,000IUs a day. Any ideas on how to increase my cholesterol levels? I'd like to get it up to around 200. Thanks for the help guys!

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry. Your labs are great. I see lab results all day every day and yours are good. Were these routine labs that your doctor ordered? Or did you choose them? I just found it odd that you did an A1C with a normal blood sugar level, unless you have had a history of diabetes or previous high fbs results. And thyroid levels, in my personal experience, tend to fluctuate quite a bit. I have seen TSH levels waaaaaaaay higher, then on retest have been normal. Vitamin D... I need to get mine checked, thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the reply. No I just ordered them myself. Did a Wellness FX package and it contained the A1C test.

I'm just a little concerned because I know people with low cholesterol levels have a higher mortality rate. I'm young, but I do have a family history of cancer (although I also have a family history of high cholesterol - weird). And I would also like to increase my free testosterone and maybe decrease estradiol as well, and think the low cholesterol is involved in this.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Low cholesterol can be a risk for certain conditions, although doctors are generally blissfully unaware of this fact, preferring to think that it's a matter of "the lower the better". But I'm not sure whether there is any real way to increase it, or whether it is simply a marker anyway. In any case, that is only one reading. Cholesterol readings do fluctuate a lot from hour to hour or day to day.

The lowest mine ever read was 112 some years back. I think that was the time someone in the waiting room lectured me that I should not eat liver because it was high in cholesterol, after overhearing me talk food with another patient. When my daughter was in college and going through her emaciated vegan stage, she tested in the double digits. We got it from my father. I'm a little concerned, but I doubt there is anything I could do. And he did live to 90.

Yeah, at this point I wish it were true that eating saturated fats and cholesterol increased your cholesterol levels!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. No I just ordered them myself. Did a Wellness FX package and it contained the A1C test.

I'm just a little concerned because I know people with low cholesterol levels have a higher mortality rate. I'm young, but I do have a family history of cancer (although I also have a family history of high cholesterol - weird). And I would also like to increase my free testosterone and maybe decrease estradiol as well, and think the low cholesterol is involved in this.
    No problem!

Haha, I wasn't done with that. I am honestly not sure about how to change these numbers. I just try to eat good food. I eat a lot of fat, fatty meats, coconut oil in everything, etc... My cholesterol is normal, but on the high end. I did not know that low cholesterol was related to cancer or any other diseases. But I will research that, I find it interesting. Luckily, I guess, both sides of my family have a history of high cholesterol, and no known cases of cancer as far back as we can remember... I never thought they could be related. I am not a healthcare professional or anything. I don't interpret the tests, just work in a med records dept, but you pick up a lot of info after a while I'd be curious to know what else you find out!

My diet is about 60% fats. I eat a lot of coconut oil and eggs but might up those a bit. I had eliminated butter for awhile but I'm thinking I'll add those back in. Thanks for the help.

My diet is about 60% fats. I eat a lot of coconut oil and eggs but might up those a bit. I had eliminated butter for awhile but I'm thinking I'll add those back in. Thanks for the help.

Well I sincerely doubt I was any help, but thank you for giving me and interesting topic to research.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast