Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood test results... too low cholesterol & free T? too high TSH? page 2

Remy is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Nice website! Thanks for the link!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

thomasbihn is offline Junior Member
    I just got some bloodwork back and my TSH was 13, but I don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism. Did you read where Brazil nuts help to improve thyroid function?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbihn View Post
    I just got some bloodwork back and my TSH was 13, but I don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism. Did you read where Brazil nuts help to improve thyroid function?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Yes because Brazil nuts have selenium. I think I'm going to take a bit of iodide as well. What did your doctor say?

thomasbihn is offline Junior Member
    Nothing yet. I had my bloodwork done late last week and viewed the results online. I have scheduled to get an nmr lipoprofile and C-RP done this week and once I get the results back, I plan to schedule a meeting with the doctor. I just saw the results on Thursday, but was on customer site so couldn't break away to schedule anything.

I do plan to call the office and ask if they can spare me the copay of going in and having the doctor simply say "we need to schedule this and that test" by asking them if he can go ahead and schedule based on the high TSH if he feels it is necessary.

After reading where TSH levels have been much higher and given I have more clarity of thought since cutting out refined carbs and starchy tubers while increasing my intake of vegetables in February, I have to wonder if I would've had my TSH levels measured at the beginning if they would have been much higher. My suspicion is that I've probably had this for much longer than since increasing my fat intake.

The only thing I have that could be considered a symptom is the weight loss, but that has correlated well with my change in lifestyle. I lost about 10 lbs a month for the first several months and as I get closer to the normal BMI (I just entered that this last week), my rate of weight loss has come down to about a half to one pound per week.

Has anyone found that decreasing carb intake to where you slip into nutritional ketosis can result in thyroid malfunction? There is a blog post on Chris Kresser's blog where he mentions it, but doesn't go into great detail.

For now, I'm going to start using a little more iodized salt than I have (I have slightly elevated systolic blood pressure so have been limiting salt intake), start eating a handful of brazil nuts every day, and eating a few more higher carb fruits just in case. I don't need to be in ketosis and actually prefer not to be (due to the additional BO I seem to get from it).

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I have read a few things about how carbohydrate intake is tied to thyroid but I also can't recall specific details. I thought about maybe trying something like the anabolic diet with some higher carb refill days.

As for your tests, I'm sure he'll want a full thyroid panel but other than that I wouldn't know.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Nutritional ketosis and/or LC does not result in the thyroid malfunctioning. What can happen, for some people, istoo few carbs can inhibit thyroid hormone conversion.

TSH is a pituitary hormone. It signals the thyroid to produce hormones. The two major ones are T4 and T3. T4 is the main hormone produced and is considered the storage hormone. T3 is made in small amounts in the thyroid and is considered the active hormone.

There are 2 types of T4 and T3. Total T4 and T3 is the measures bound and unbound(free) amounts of each hormone. Free T4 and T3 measures the free/usable amount.

Since most hormone made is T4 but the body uses T3, T4 gets converted to T3 by dropping 1 iodide molecule to become T3. This conversion happens outside the thyroid in different places but a lot is done in the liver.

TSH and actual thyroid hormones have an inverse relationship. TSH goes up-puts out more signal to the thyroid- when actual hormones (T4, T3) go low. This is hypothyroidism. TSH goes down when T4, T3 go up. This is hyperthyroidism. The brain can be happy but the body may not be producing enough hormone and vice versa.

If there is conversion issues things look like this, generally- TSH is normal, FT4 is normal but FT3 is low. Things that can contribute to conversion issues include:
    1. Low vitamin D
    2. Anemia, including low ferritin
    3. Low selenium--200mc/day is sufficient and equal to 1-2 brazil nuts, not a handful. too much selenium is not a good thing
    4. Too much stress including over exercising
    5. Too few calories and/or carbs

Further testing needs to be done to figure out where you are. Tests I would want done are:
    1. Thyroid-- TSH, Free T4, Free T3, antibodies (TPOab, TgAb) to see if things are autoimmune though negative results does not mean it's not autoimmune.
    2. Vitamin D
    3. Iron testing, including ferritin

Please note that one symptom of hypothyroidism is high cholesterol. This might impact your lipoprofile.

You might find these helpful:
    Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist
    Quiz: Could You Be Hypothyroid?

poing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Nutritional ketosis and/or LC does not result in the thyroid malfunctioning. What can happen, for some people, is too few carbs can inhibit thyroid hormone conversion.
    I think that I agree with this statement. However, I reckon that low carbing can sometimes unmask a thyroid problem.

If you look at the distribution of TSH in healthy people, the average (mean) is around 1.5 and almost nobody has a TSH over 4. If your TSH is higher than this, then you should really get thyroid function checked out further.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I wish it were true that eating saturated fats and cholesterol increased your cholesterol levels!
    I believe one can raise cholesterol a little by eating more eggs, good fats. liver etc but nowhere near what CW doctors would have us believe. At 293 total I don't think mine needs raising.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12