Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you EDC? (Every Day Carry) page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

What do you EDC? (Every Day Carry)

Primal Fuel
    And now for something completely different....

What do you carry on you everyday? Phones, knives, multi-tools, etc.

I got into the habit of carrying certain things on me, almost anytime I leave my home, back when I was a paramedic. Granted my EDC is different now (no reason to carry a stethoscope everyday) but I still carry a plethora of items.

This is in part to my working in various countries and needing to have things for emergencies. As I have learned, if it is attached to me in some way, it will be there when I need it.

To start this is the minimum I have when I leave my home:

• Flashlight (at least one on my body)
    • Knife (as many as 4 depending on what I'm doing, this includes multi-tools)
    • Pen
    • Wallet
    • Cell phones (one work, one personal)
    • A small set of lock picks
    • Reading glasses (extra pair in my backpack)
    • Keys
    • Lighter
    • Length of 550 cord with a carabineer attached
    • Extra apartment key, light and knife on a necklace (handy when I'm just going out for a walk)
    • Watch
    • Bandana

I also carry a backpack to and from work that has, among other things, my computer. Also has a "blowout" kit among other survival tools.

If it came down to it, I could walk away from my apartment tomorrow with what I carry on in my pockets/on my person and my backpack and survive pretty well.

The handiest think I carry is a flashlight and I can't imagine leaving the house without at least one. Long experience in countries where the power goes out several times a day, demonstrates the importance of having one....and not using elevators.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I did that when I was a kid and got expelled from the third grade.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I love the lock-picks.

I do tend to have a few things in my pockets or in a bag if I've got one. I usually have a "Climber" Swiss Army knife - the little scissors can be useful! A Navy jack-knife would probably be better if one actually needed to cut things - rope or even dried mreat.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    This makes me want to pack a survival backpack to keep in my car. As a HS teacher, carrying some of that into work could be dicey. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of the students carry knives every day.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Seems like there's more and more crazy fuckers out there these days, so I don't leave the house without a .45 ACP on me. Wallet, cell phone, watch, keys, that's about it.

lark42 is offline Senior Member
    texas grok - what a great list!

I've always been the 'kitchen sink' of everyday carry - with 4 kids in tow and their activities/sports teams I was always the mom who had a first aid kit (although I've no training of my own), pain killers, throat lozenges, food (trail mix), ice packs, blanket, umbrella, tent pegs, multi-tool & spare screws for helmets, Sliver gripper and nail clippers, a sham-wow, pens and paper, plastic bags, elastics and paper clips, toilet paper, snap ties, hand sanitizer, water, extra money, mittens and extra socks (even in the summer!), a length of baler twine, sunscreen, bug spray, hand lotion, tissues, sewing kit, and feminine protection (an assortment) - phew! and duct tape ...

When my kids packed their hockey or ball bag, so too did I. And, someone always needed something I had on hand ...

These days I don't drag along so much junk and clutter - but I still can't leave the house empty-handed with just keys and a cell phone - texas grok, you've got a much more practical (and saner) EDC - I think I'll borrow some of your ideas

Thanks

Lark
    Last edited by lark42; 11-09-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: forgot a few things in my list ...
    "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    On body:
    Keys
    Wallet
    Small box knife
    Larger knife for social purposes
    Phone
    Pistol
    Spare magazine
    Chapstick

In my EDC small backpack I have my daily stuff I need, plus rain gear, medical gear, paracord, carabiners, sardines, water filter, flashlight, bigger knife, padlock, and a few random things I'm forgetting. And two more spare mags.

Sent via lightsaber

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Mr. Anthony, what's the padlock for?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

To continue on with my EDC, I carry a backpack with me almost always. It has been like a talisman, my good luck charm. It is T.H.E. Pack by SpecOpsBrand and has been my constant companion for over 10 years with only one failure of a Fastec buckle that SpecOps fixed and returned within 8 days at no charge.

It carries misc. papers including my passport. An organizer with various documents and things like pen refills. Extra pairs of reading glasses. My laptop goes in the main compartment padded at the bottom by a shemagh and tactical gloves. There is also a couple of trashcan liners that can do double duty as ponchos for me and my gear.

There is a tactical goggle set on one shoulder strap and a set of Ranger beads on the other. Outside pockets carry a blowout kit (major trauma medical kit) with a pair of paramedic shears in the kit and foot care stuff (moleskin, etc). Other outside pockets carry camera, IPod, various connecting cables, a survival kit (used to carry a pilots strobe until the damn batteries leaked), a Pelican Saber light, extra batteries and other stuff that I can't remember right now. I also carry suture material in case I need to do the Rambo thing and sew myself up but it is more likely used for emergency clothing repairs.

Believe it or not, I have actually used most of it at one time or another during my travels except for the survival kit. I also have various lengths of 550 cords about, I can always use that stuff.

While I have never been in the military, I have found the tactical grade equipment to hold up to my abuse better than anything else. If you need a hard case, Pelican cases are damn near impossible to destroy (I have tried) and make emergency chairs when you are waiting in long lines at the airport or immigration.

The backpack stays with me every time I leave the apartment in Egypt unless I'm just going out to exercise in the immediate area. I have it to the point that I can carry it on the plane without any problems (that took some doing).
    Last edited by texas.grok; 11-09-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Randal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lark42 View Post
    texas grok - what a great list!

texas grok, you've got a much more practical (and saner) EDC - I think I'll borrow some of your ideas

Thanks

Lark
    Thanks Lark and borrow away. If you need any suppliers, let me know. I don't buy junk when it comes to those things.
    Randal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast