Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One day at a time - (RampantSquirrel) page

One day at a time - (RampantSquirrel)

I've introduced myself some in the introduction section of the forum so I won't repeat what I said there, but if you're interested here is the link to that post.

The short version is this...

After my first son was born I ballooned up to my heaviest weight 220lbs. I stayed there for 3 years before I did anything to change that. I started my fitness journey by doing nothing but changing what I ate in July of last year. I wasn't sure at the time what I was doing but after learning more about it I was sort of doing a modified Paleo diet. High protein, low fat, and some processed carbs (pasta was just too difficult for me to give up). And since I wasn't technically following any "plan" I felt good with that. It was working. I lost 40 lbs in 6 months!! I was down to 180lbs!

Then I got pregnant with my second child. Knowing that losing weight while pregnant could be dangerous i decided to not worry about the "weight" BUT continue to eat the way that I had been and sort of "even out" with me losing weight while the baby gains a healthy weight. That's also when I found MDA and realized that I was so close to Primal that I could "make the switch" easily enough.

The result was that I only gained 6lbs in the first 6 months of pregnancy and an additional 10lbs in the last 3 months! This is considered normal weight gain according to the doctors... a total of 16lbs!

I'm now happy to report that I have a healthy 6 week old boy and in those 6 weeks I have lost all the pregnancy weight and then some! I am breastfeeding so I can't be exactly primal since I need to keep calories up a little to ensure I still produce milk but with as much weight as I have to lose I think I should be able to stay healthy while keeping my milk supply up. My current weight is 185lbs. Now, I still have lots of work to do and a TON of toning/muscle definition to build but we all have to start somewhere right!

I'm hoping that this journal can help to keep me on track, keep me motivated and lastly accountable.

With that in mind here is what I did yesterday:

B: Paleo Lemon and Blueberry muffin with butter, Greek yogurt smoothie with coconut milk, blackberries and almonds, 1/2 banana, 1 cup Earl grey tea with milk and sugar.
    L: Butternut squash soup
    D: Chicken wings with 1 homebrewed beer.
    Snack: 1 cup of Greek yogurt and a banana

Fitness: Played "football" with my 4 year old. Really this is just running around the house with a football in my son's hands and I get to chase him. This is what living is all about!

Today was a fairly good day, with the exception of a little much chocolate. I tried out a new recipe for nutty bacon bark that was too good to have just one piece and that was my down fall today.

B: Two eggs with 1/2 avacado, Earl Grey tea with sugar and milk
    L: Leftover butternut squash soup and bacon
    Snack: Apple, pineapple
    D: Beef roast with carrots, various veggies from a veggie tray way too many pieces of nutty bacon bark

My first ever LHT session went rather well. Considering I'm on level 1 for all 4 basic moves I think I did rather well. My biggest challenges were my knees during the squats and my arms shaking for the side planks. I'm fairly certain that it will get better as I do this more often.

Pushups Level I: 40
    Pullups Level I: 6
    Squats Level I: 50
    Plank Level I: 90 secs and 45 secs for the sides.
    Starting weight: 230 lbs
    Current weight: 190 lbs
    Goal weight: ~145 lbs

Well, it's been a few days since I updated this and I've not been so good with my eating habits.

I weighed myself again on Sundays as I usually do and I'm up half a pound. I'm sure that has something to do with eating more sugar than I should and the many beers I had last week!

Getting back on track is difficult when I have to make a grocery store run to keep Primal foods in the house. My husband is "oh so helpful" by buying all the junk food he can get his hands on which makes it more difficult to keep true.

Yesterday was not an easy day for food since I had to travel 2 hours to get to my doctor's appt. But here's what the day looked like:

B: Pumpkin banana pancakes and black tea with sugar and milk.
    L: Sonic hamburger (yes I ate the bun too) and the fries...
    Snack: Red raspberries, walnuts, macadamia nuts and a few dark chocolate chips
    D: Store bought mini meat tacos. (After a day of driving I wasn't in the mood to cook anything healthy and that's what happened).

Anyways, that being said, today is LHT day and tomorrow I'll start my sprints (since I've got clearance from the doc from my C-section).

I'm at least starting off today right, bacon and eggs for breakfast with my regular tea.

Each new day is a new opportunity to chose the right things!

justme is offline Senior Member
    That last sentence is so true! Cheering you on!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Well today is off to a rough start. Early this morning I woke up with a very upset stomach. I was thinking it might have been food poisoning but it also could have been my body rejecting something I ate last night since no one else in the house felt ill.

Thankfully sleep seemed to have calmed my stomach.

So with that being said, here's my log for yesterday:

B: two eggs, three strips bacon, black tea with milk and sugar.
    L: spinach salad with walnuts, tomatoes, green onion, carrots, and salmon.
    D: chicken thigh and potato
    Second dinner: Chinese shrimp and candied walnuts. -- I think this is what hit me.
    Then I had a slice of paleo pumpkin pie. I wanted to try the recipe before thanksgiving since we are hosting for a bunch of people and we're making it paleo/primal this year.

For my LHT session I did the following:
    50 wall push-ups. I think I need to move to level 2 on these.
    50 wall squats. Again I think I'm ready for level 2 here too.
    90 secs hand/knee plank and 45 secs either side.
    I didn't get to the pull-ups this time since I don't have a safe way to do them yet. However, my portable pull-up bar will be here on Friday!!

On to another day of one choice at a time!

Feeling better today! Yesterday was fairly easy as far as eating goes. I felt much better after a fairly decent nights sleep.

I didn't do any workout, just rested with a touch of walking around but nothing more than around my house.

B: 3 strips bacon and 2 eggs, black tea with honey and milk.
    Snack: Slice of paleo pumpkin pie
    L: Can't for the life of me remember what I had for lunch...That means it was either nothing or I'm blocking it out intentionally. Maybe I'll remember later.
    D: Left over chicken, beef and pineapple teriyaki

On a side note, My pants are feeling a touch big today!! I won't weight myself until Sunday. I will leave it a few more days to see if it's not just me being crazy and then I just may have to try and fit into the next size down, which I have conveniently waiting in my closet!!

It's the end of the day and I'll post what I ate today, this way I'm sure to remember!!

B: 3 strips bacon, 2 eggs, black tea with honey and milk
    L: Paleo pumpkin pie
    snack: 1 cup Greek yogurt with handfull of red raspberries and sliced almonds. Also, a dark chocolate covered honeycomb. This is my new favorite indulgence! It was awesome.
    D: Was bad here... Fish and chips and a very hoppy beer!

What can I say, I needed to get out of the house and it made me feel awesome to do so.

My pullup bar should be here tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting to use it!

Well, it's apparent that I am horrible at tracking my progress. Not to mention that I've not been very primal in the last week and it shows in both the scale and my overall mood.

I think I found my "weakness" so to speak. You see, I like beer. Not to get drunk on, but rather, like a glass of wine a day, I like *one* beer. The problem I seem to run into is what I eat either with or after the beer.

Call it habit or just bad programming I will graze when I drink. Or even worse when I'm out with friends I'll eat what ever I want without regards to being primal.

Also, I home brew. Now, I enjoy the act of making beer more than the act of drinking it (yeast is a fun organism to understand and work with) but that means it's always in the house.

I'm wondering if I need to figure out what 20% actually is and make sure I stick to the 80/20 or better so I can still have my guilty pleasures and good health.

Anyways, that's my struggle for the time being. When I'm "in the zone" I do really good but when I don't make the primal choice I seem to be really bad.

Went to the chiropractor yesterday for the first time in over two years. He was a new one for me so I went through the X-ray and other new patient tests. The results show that I need a lot of work on my back and it's worth it to me to ensure that my body is in peak operating mode.

My Dr. was very surprised when I told him I already knew about and followed a paleo/primal lifestyle. He was excited to hear my current results and very glad I went to see him so he can help improve my results with setting my spine straight.

I'm excited to add him to my team of "take control of my body and health".

On another note the last two days have been really good for me food wise. I'll be interested to see if my will power can keep this up and what my resulting weigh in will show!

Yesterday:
    B: 2 eggs
    L: butternut squash soup
    S:dark meat chicken pieces
    D: 1/2 chicken (it was breaded and fried) corn on the cob
    S: Greek yogurt, blackberries and almond slices

Workout:
    Put together and tested my pull-up bars. I did 7 two legged pull-ups. It's one better than the last time and lots of room for improvement.
    9 hand-knee push-ups
    90 sec hand-knee plank
    45 sec side planks
    Didn't do any squats. Will remedy that today.

If anyone is reading this, do you go to the chiropractor and if so do you find them helpful in your quest for primal health?

justme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love my chiropractor! We go as a family once a month.

Our parents took us when we were kids, but I stopped as an adult. Then I started experiencing increasingly debiliating back pain, until one day I couldn't even sit down. I went to my current chiro, who sent me for x rays. I was diagnosed with a mild case of scoliosis, and started seeing my chiro weekly. As my back got better, we stretched it to 2 weeks, then a month. Unless I eat inflammatory foods or do something silly to my back ( for example, not lifting appropriately ), I can stay comfortable with just monthly visits. Without him, I would absolutely be a cripple living off meds to try to manage the symptoms, rather then managing the condition.

I know that many people are nervous about having their body manipulated. My chiro adjusts the babies ( and can adjust adults ) with a machine called an activator. No manipulation, but amazing results. I messed up my shoulder once and couldn't even use that arm. My chiro adjusted it with the activator and after that and a night of rest, it was back to normal.

Despite severe SPD, chiro and massage kept me functioning well through two pregnancies. Definitely recommend!!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast