Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lack of protein drives overeating. page 7

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sometimes I purposefully make leftovers at dinner that I can have specifically for breakfast. An extra fish fillet is made and put immediately into a container and into the fridge so it's there for tomorrow. I have other things ready for lunches. You just have to be prepared, do things differently, plan ahead and not just wait until the last minute all the time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Have a smoothie. Egg white or eggs or whey, fruit, gelatin. Easy.

Hardboiled eggs.

Low fat keifir, yogurt, etc. Cottage cheese with fruit is yum too.

Slices of frittata. (Casserole style).

Just keep cold cuts of meat (brisket, etc) in the fridge.

Also... Can't he cook? ...I am confused. O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He can cook but on work days he likes to get ready fast, making coffee and heating milk is about as long as he wants to spend in the kitchen. He usually makes me breakfast on the weekends.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    My current breakfast is One scoop of plain whey protein (25g) mixed with coffee, hwc and stevia. An omelette made with 2xl eggs (14g), 4 oz of 99% fat free ground turkey (27g), peppers onions and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil. I like to get half of my protein intake (130g) at breakfast. Getting that much protein in so early became much easier when I discovered the lean ground turkey.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Pebbles, your omelette sounds a lot like the meat muffins I make.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Cottage cheese is out (lactose intolerance), egg whites are out (egg white sensitivity) for me. I've started trying this (my hunger seems to be changing, bonus!). For the past 2 days I have had a 10oz 93% burger with a piece of cheese melted on it for "breakfast", which is about 10 AM. I'm not sure I can eat any earlier than that.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Protein is consistently recommended as the main macro when losing weight, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Sad but true.

Yesterday my son and I were visiting some vegetarian friends and this is what the mom made for her family (husband and 2 teenage boys) home fries with grated mild cheddar cheese (made from organic whole potatoes) white rice and frozen carrots, peas and corn with organic margarine. Probably about 80% carb, 15% fat and 5% protein. I really don't know how those boys can live off that. The dad says the older boy is always hungry. For the record the dad is a better cook and when he cooks he serves some sort of vegetarian protein, but he usually gets home later so he often doesn't cook.

I used to talk to the mom about paleo (she says she's open to eating meat), she wants to lose weight but now I don't even bother. She doesn't seem to understand basic nutrition. The funny thing is she's not dumb or young, she's 50 and educated, it just baffles me how some one can be that misinformed.
    For more anecdotes:

One of my cousins is almost vegetarian. He barely eats any meat, most of his diet carbs in the form of wheat and rice. He's around 12 just now. When I last saw him he was just fat. He's taken up rugby and now he is definitely more muscular but still fat.
    My cousins brother eats a normal diet (closer to CW) and is low muscle but low fat. He plays soccer.

Meanwhile my brothers eat a high protein diet (also high in carbs and fat since they have big appetites). They both also do rugby. Both my brothers are way above average height, low boy fat and muscular. My 7 year old brother can pass for 9. Both of them are projected to be 6'2.

Conclusion? I'm not gonna make anything sweeping but protein seems like the key to leanness. I'm convinced my cousin is fat because of his high carb, low fat, low protein diet.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 11-11-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think a lot of people don't eat enough protein. I remember starting primal and devouring a roast chicken, standing in my kitchen. I had been a vegetarian for a long time, and can't remember too many meals that made me say "done" the way a steak or big portion of chicken can. Last night after a hard workout, I had a 1/3 lb wagyu burger very rare topped with bacon, avocado and a fried egg. This was a brutal workout. That food filled me up, no hunger even this morning.

It seems like there is such a big social "nono" for people, especially women, to eat food like this. Like it's gross, manish or something a guy would eat. I still feel weird tucking into a fatty steak. I'm getting there, lol. The guys at the meat counter know that YES, I want the big rib eye. It is "heavy" food and people comment on that, but it makes me feel 100x better than "light" foods.

Vegetarianism.... there is a lot of good tenets, but at the end of the day, I was never satisfied no matter how much I ate of the low fat stuff, and anything higher in fat just made me feel like hell.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think a lot of people don't eat enough protein.
    I'm surprised at the low protein content of chain restaurant and packaged meals even if the first word is "beef" or "chicken". The industry is adept at fluffing up 1~2 oz. to look good with a bun or noodles.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can say that since I have been aiming for 200g of protein daily (and falling short by at least 50 or more grams), I hardly ever feel hungry. I feel great. I mean really great. Really really great.
    200g protein a day...and a couple of doses of X.

But mostly the protein!

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I find that eating an early high-protein breakfast is a huge help to me in combating sugar or carb cravings (which I've been having again lately thanks to a recent collapse of all my high standards). If I can get that first shot of protein in right away, it's far easier to eat a healthy primal lunch and dinner.

If I don't... *shudder*

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast