Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of protein drives overeating. page 5

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I eat lean meat, some fat on my lamb, only a few eggs + egg white, and 1% cottage cheese. Not truly low low fat but definitely way lower than I did before. Making room for carbs helped a lot in my gym performance. Protein is definitely still the focus too. Ate 16oz of 1% cottage cheese, 1lb lean beef, and 2 eggs today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm kind of loving this new push to protein 'round these parts. Most days, I get 40-50% of my calories from protein.

When I got to MDA, eating MOAR fat was what was advised. I tried it, but sadly both high intake of carbs and/or and abundance of fat can trigger weird eating on my part. When I started looking at butter as though it was the love of my life, I went down some on the added fats which was plenty to juggle my macro ratios to a better place for me.

A good side effect of eating lots of protein is that most sources carry their own fat, so there is really little need for too much added fat.
    Exactly! This has been my experience. I don't shy away from fats, but I don't feel the need to add loads extra. Protein is my silver bullet.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking more about this thread last night and remembering two related things. First, remember the good old days of the enormous leptin reset thread? Well part of the reset protocol was eating 50 g (or something like that) immediately upon waking. Second, in Ferriss's 4-HR body book, he also recommends 30 g or something first thing in the morning for his slow carb diet. It seems like a common thread is to give your body what it wants most, first, and let the rest follow from there.

I wish the brainiacs on either side of the fat v carb debate would stop by this thread to add their two cents. Maybe there is an interesting point of convergence.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I remember the Leptin reset thread. If the whole Leptin reset thing had just stopped with high protein breakfast + get to bed at a reasonable hour that would have given people 99% of the benefit. But it had to go get all crazy confusing beyond that. A high protein largish breakfast really helps me out a lot, as does going to bed early enough to support my early-morning lifestyle. And by "helps me out" I don't mean "miraculous weight loss". I mean I feel healthy, happy, vital and focused and not hungry, crabby and watching the clock for my next meal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I remember the Leptin reset thread. If the whole Leptin reset thing had just stopped with high protein breakfast + get to bed at a reasonable hour that would have given people 99% of the benefit. But it had to go get all crazy confusing beyond that. A high protein largish breakfast really helps me out a lot, as does going to bed early enough to support my early-morning lifestyle. And by "helps me out" I don't mean "miraculous weight loss". I mean I feel healthy, happy, vital and focused and not hungry, crabby and watching the clock for my next meal.
    Oh, no no no. You had to whisper the secret incantations too while exercising at 4:36 pm each day. Ok, maybe a bit snarky.

It is appealing to think that perhaps the endless arguing about hi fat vs lo fat and this nutrient pathway vs that pathway falls away amid the much more appealing and simple notion that if you eat sufficient protein, everything else falls in line pretty well. I for one will be trying to make protein the priority for a few weeks to see how it all works out, energy levels, satiety, etc.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 11-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Oh, no no no. You had to whisper the secret incantations too while exercising at 4:36 pm each day.
    LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

I tried, but it was very difficult for me to eat 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning without resorting to whey shakes. I recently realized that a pound of 2% cottage cheese has 56 grams of protein (for a mere 360 calories) and I love the stuff. The thing is that the last thing I want in the morning is food. I'm not sure how to resolve this unless I just say screw it to worrying about doing it with food and just do the shake thing.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

I tried, but it was very difficult for me to eat 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning without resorting to whey shakes. I recently realized that a pound of 2% cottage cheese has 56 grams of protein (for a mere 360 calories) and I love the stuff. The thing is that the last thing I want in the morning is food. I'm not sure how to resolve this unless I just say screw it to worrying about doing it with food and just do the shake thing.
    Or don't worry about eating first thing. My guess is that the recommendation to do so is to 1) help get enough protein during the day, which several have noted is a challenge, and 2) to fill you on a protein rich meal before getting tempted to devour something quick and easy and carb/fat/both heavy

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm just wondering, wouldn't that indicate, at least a little, that you never actually had any disorder? That you were actually hungry?
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Knife that might be a tad bit insensitive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Oh, I thought I asked softly enough. Darn text! Well, I had (maybe still have?) really disordered eating, too - but when eating more protein + real food basically fixed it all, I was forced to analyze the situation. I came to the conclusion that the only way I could eat a large pizza, a box of ho-ho's and 2 liters of mountain dew in one sitting was that they weren't satisfying. There was actually nothing wrong with me, but it was the fake, unsatisfactory "food".
    I did not take your answer negatively. I refer to it as a binge eating disorder for the purposes of clinical definition. I always hoped that there was a nutritional cure. I am finally on the cusp of a weight that I have not seen in 20 yrs.

In answer to other posts, I have been Primal for 3 years, but Primal alone was not the fix for uncontrolled night binging.

I am actually doing a moderate carb version of the Leptin Reset. I just didn't mention it by name to avoid all the negative connections with the cult of K. He is the reason I refused until recently to try the high protein breakfast. Sorry I waited so long. On that note, I get half my morning protein in whey and the rest in real food.

LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

If you are willing to do dairy, why would you avoid whey? I use a plain 2 ingredient powder by now foods.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Or don't worry about eating first thing. My guess is that the recommendation to do so is to 1) help get enough protein during the day, which several have noted is a challenge, and 2) to fill you on a protein rich meal before getting tempted to devour something quick and easy and carb/fat/both heavy
    This may just be unique to me, but doing high protein spread throughout the day did not stop the binge issue. The first day I front loaded protein at breakfast was the day the binging stopped.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast