Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Oh Lululemon page 7

  1. #61
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,624
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Preach. I love this post.
    Lol. And when I go back to actually read all the posts, some of what I just said was already stated XD

    I guess my POV is just, if you don't like what the brand does, then it just doesn't fit you. Go find another brand and do less dissing on the values of other people who like said brand.

  2. #62
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,833
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Uh. No offense to any yogis out there, but the majority of the ones that are serious about yoga seem to me the same - size 0-6, not much thigh/hip/butt curves, no boobs, etc. Lulumon seems to just be marketing to the correct target market...if the company opened up its clothing to other body types, they'd lose the brand equity they've already won with their existing customers. Why open it up to a wider audience when they can already sell $100 cheap fabric clothing to the existing clientele? Just my take on it...
    Because they need to grow their business financially to make shareholders happy and there are only so many stick thin yogis. They had a few options to keep the line making money without expanding the market- cut expenses or sell more pants via some innovation. It sounds like they chose to use cheaper materials (presumably) which is not really panning out, so they blamed their customers.

    It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, as "any attention is good". However, I think even the most conceited my body rocks Yoga lady that looks down at fat people isn't going to want pants that pill or show off her cooch. Nor does she want to return defective pants and be told she used them wrong.

    If it was just maintaining the exclusivity of the brand, I think they'd be fine. But the fact is, it's a quality issue and they blamed the user.

    There is a line of riding pants, they are cut for the thin & rich set. Made from a great fabric. They've been out there for 30 years, making the same damn riding pants. In the past 10 years, they decided to expand their line, same sizes, but they have a cheaper line now and a more expensive line. The cheaper line, is indeed cheaper, but they sell a ton. But they never blame their customers and continue to grow, now selling 3 lines of pants to serious, rich and thin equestrians. The cheap ones don't last long, but come in trendy colors. The most expensive are "European cut" (read, skinnier and thinner). I have no beef with their business model and wish I could buy stock! Even now, as a size 8, I can't wear their pants.

    I guess this is kind of an irrelevant topic for MDA at this point, because it is less about the funny concept that people might try and exercise more carefully and delicately to preserve their pants and more about stupid business practices.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  3. #63
    ELizabeth826's Avatar
    ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I hate the LV bags. Ugh. So soccer mom.
    Also they are really ugly.

    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Not that I do, but judging which indulges have value and which don't is kind of silly
    +1. It's like with champagne, after about the $60 per bottle (at a store, not in restaurants where the mark up is horrendous) all you are paying for is smaller bubbles. After about $125 - $150 you are paying for prestige. I'm not going to run out and buy a bottle of Cristal, but if someone else gets $300 worth of enjoyment out of it, for WHATEVER reason, go to town.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

  4. #64
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Because they need to grow their business financially to make shareholders happy and there are only so many stick thin yogis. They had a few options to keep the line making money without expanding the market- cut expenses or sell more pants via some innovation. It sounds like they chose to use cheaper materials (presumably) which is not really panning out, so they blamed their customers.

    It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, as "any attention is good". However, I think even the most conceited my body rocks Yoga lady that looks down at fat people isn't going to want pants that pill or show off her cooch. Nor does she want to return defective pants and be told she used them wrong.

    If it was just maintaining the exclusivity of the brand, I think they'd be fine. But the fact is, it's a quality issue and they blamed the user.

    There is a line of riding pants, they are cut for the thin & rich set. Made from a great fabric. They've been out there for 30 years, making the same damn riding pants. In the past 10 years, they decided to expand their line, same sizes, but they have a cheaper line now and a more expensive line. The cheaper line, is indeed cheaper, but they sell a ton. But they never blame their customers and continue to grow, now selling 3 lines of pants to serious, rich and thin equestrians. The cheap ones don't last long, but come in trendy colors. The most expensive are "European cut" (read, skinnier and thinner). I have no beef with their business model and wish I could buy stock! Even now, as a size 8, I can't wear their pants.

    I guess this is kind of an irrelevant topic for MDA at this point, because it is less about the funny concept that people might try and exercise more carefully and delicately to preserve their pants and more about stupid business practices.
    Your argument is fair. However, I guess if the company offends enough people to a point they will just die in the market. People are apparently still buying. Let them be! Waiting for an analogous company like Merrell to join them in the market for a more practical product. .. unless there is one already?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  5. #65
    baconator's Avatar
    baconator is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post

    There is a line of riding pants, they are cut for the thin & rich set.
    Tailored Sportsman?

  6. #66
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,833
    Quote Originally Posted by baconator View Post
    Tailored Sportsman?
    Yup, spot on. That they have remained *the brand* for the hunter/jumper set since the mid 80's is amazing to me. And they have always kept that )(*)*)(&* knee seam in their design that prevents anyone with wide calves from wearing their product.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  7. #67
    baconator's Avatar
    baconator is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yup, spot on. That they have remained *the brand* for the hunter/jumper set since the mid 80's is amazing to me. And they have always kept that )(*)*)(&* knee seam in their design that prevents anyone with wide calves from wearing their product.
    I had a pair in the two-way stretch fabric when I was competing in college. I didn't get the appeal either since they weren't all that comfortable. They look really nice, though.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •