Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes this kind of constipation?? page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

What causes this kind of constipation??

Okay you guys, this post isn't for anyone who gets easily grossed out or offended. The way I look at it, we all go, there's no reason to be embarrassed.

I have been severely constipated for months, but the only catch is that I DO GO TO THE BATHROOM EVERY DAY (or every other day when it's bad). So many people think constipation is just not going every single day, but I feel like my situation is a lot worse. The stool is never formed together in one piece; it's always hard balls or pellets. Sometimes they're hard to get out, sometimes they're not. But they're never. one. solid. piece.

I'm just looking for a clear answer. I've heard everything from bowel transit time to lack of exercise to stress and I'm just very confused. I really don't want to hear, "Drink more water, eat more fiber" -_- because I really do believe that drinking too much water and consuming too much fiber can make the problem a whole lot worse. I drink enough water, I can assure you. I get enough fiber (maybe even too much, I'm still trying to wean off grains). I am just so frustrated. I'm uncomfortable and bloated and I have terrible acne and I can trace it all back to my constipation. Can anyone tell me what exactly causes my abnormal stools?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I can't tell you exactly what causes it. I would try a little fruit. Maybe a little coconut oil. And I'd bring a magazine or book in with me. I'm not being sarcastic, but relaxing while you go is kind of crucial. If you have to bring your phone in because you stress over missing a call or text, go ahead and bring it in. Warm fluids can help.

I totally wouldn't advise more fiber. Fiber "laxatives" never did anything for me except make things worse.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I have something similar.

I have found that what works for me is eating more fruit and vegetables, specifically sweet prunes.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    That was my experience for years and I didn't realize it was abnormal, only I usually would go every other day.

There is no one answer. It varies for everyone. First thing is get off grains esp. gluten. For a little while at least, even cut out rice and use potatoes, fruit, and starchy tubers for carbs. Try some prunes (I have 3 every morning) or a regular dose of mag citrate in the evening to see if you can loosen things up.

And don't strain! No matter what!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post
    Can anyone tell me what exactly causes my abnormal stools?
    Low cellular energy production, AKA low metabolism. Do you have any idea what your waking body temperature is?
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

No, but I'm interested!

What helped make your stools normal again? And I will definitely give grain-free a try, I'm kind of in a rut though because I bring Ezekiel bread sandwiches for lunch to school every single day (they're easy and require no heating up/refrigeration, I can eat it quickly, etc.). What would you suggest I bring instead?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post
    What helped make your stools normal again? And I will definitely give grain-free a try, I'm kind of in a rut though because I bring Ezekiel bread sandwiches for lunch to school every single day (they're easy and require no heating up/refrigeration, I can eat it quickly, etc.). What would you suggest I bring instead?
    Whatever you put in the sandwiches, except "sandwiched" or wrapped in lettuce leaves? Plus maybe a baked potato or something, with butter pre-melted into it. Maybe I am weird though, I like them at any temperature.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My name is JoanieL and I was a laxative abuser for over five years. I'm sure this must be a subset of one of the eating disorders (purging by laxative maybe?). When I went everyday, I was sure it was because I was overeating.

Eventually I came to terms with the fact that sometimes we go every day, and sometimes we don't. I weaned myself off laxatives and it took about six months. There are long periods of time when I go every day. There are occasional days when I don't go as well as occasional days when I go a couple of times. I no longer stress. Maybe once every couple of months, I experience constipation or loose stool. I'm not worried about it. And if I could tell you anything like I would tell a gf in real life, that would be it - stop worrying.

Eat from all the food groups - meat/fish/eggs/cream, veggies, fruit, the occasional rice and root food. Eat butter. Put some coconut oil into your coffee. If you're feeling stopped up, eat a couple of citrus fruits. Take some magnesium supplements. But relax. Defecating is just another part of life. Relax, take a dump. Focus on something else - your family, your job, fun times, etc.

When Grok defecated, I'm sure he wasn't jounaling it. S/He squatted when s/he need to do so and that was it until next time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    I am in the same boat, but the only things I can suspect for me is SIBO brought on by too much wheat creeping in and too much fiber from raw vegetables following. I cook any vegetables that I feel need it, basically anything that doesn't go in salad, and am treating the SIBO with some natural supplements.

As far as lunch; buy a medium sized thermos and bring leftovers. Hands down easiest and fastest lunch. A big container with a decent lid is great for salads; just throw everything you would put in your sandwich in the bowl and bring oil seperately. There are tons of threads/posts about primal non-sandwich lunches.

Good luck, when I first got it bad, my doctor gave me PPIs to which I thought, WTF, and proceeded to do the opposite: drink some water with lemon or ACV before meals to aid digestion, stop drinking so much water with meals, drastically cut down on safe starches. Magnesium supplementation can help some people, myself included.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast