Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: What causes this kind of constipation?? page 2

  1. #11
    WaylandC's Avatar
    WaylandC is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    516
    Primal Fuel
    Get off of ALL grains immediately. No more weaning.

  2. #12
    Kris T's Avatar
    Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700
    Magnesium citrate cleans me out every time. 2 capsules at bedtime and by morning, all cleaned out. I take one capsule in the mornings to keep me regular and help with all that.....I now don't take it every morning, but just a few times a week.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

  3. #13
    NicoleP's Avatar
    NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    380
    I have wanted to start a thread like this for 6 months at least. I have had some really bad problems with this too. I have had to go to the doctor 3 times now in an effort to figure out what is going wrong. My issue pretty much started overnight and right at the same time I quit drinking Diet Coke cold turkey (that had been the only thing I wasn't able to give up). Once I quit drinking it all hell broke loose. It was a 20 year habit. I donít know for sure if that has anything to do with my problem but that is when I noticed it.

    I have gone the magnesium citrate route and the supplements really help unless I am too far gone. If that's the case I have to go buy a bottle of the liquid magnesium citrate and clear my calendar for a day and a half. My stomach gets bloated and distended beyond belief and I can't eat anything. I have tried coconut oil, prunes, you name it. Nothing works for me. I seem to notice that this usually happens a week before my cycle.

    At this point after having my thyroid checked and a limited food allergy panel done they want to stick a camera up my butt. I can't bring myself to schedule it. The food panel came back with a milk allergy but I donít drink it.

    I have been eating primal for several years now so I know itís not the food. I don't even know what to do. I am convinced that if I didn't take the magnesium citrate tablets I would not be going at all.

  4. #14
    RittenRemedy's Avatar
    RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by bodybyvi View Post
    you need to increase the amount of drinking water. this is really important to get used to it and need to take a lot of veggies. take few days this routine and i think you will get the result for sure.
    Unless SIBO is the culprit like in my case. Vegetables and anything starchy bloated me up almost as bad as wheat. Took a couple weeks well cooked, low FODMAP or fermented veg to get regular movement back.

    Not saying that you shouldn't eat veg, but try it and if it doesn't work after a bit don't feel like you have to keep doing it.

  5. #15
    poing's Avatar
    poing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    99
    Same problem here.

    Gluten makes it worse for me without a shadow of a doubt. Quit all gluten containing grains and see what happens.

    I think delayed food allergies may have a part to play in constipation because an inflamed bowel doesn't move stuff through properly. For me that is gluten and possibly baker's yeast, but things haven't been settled enough to challenge with yeast. Pretty much any food could be responsible here, but some things are more likely than others.

    Lack of bile may also be a contributing factor. You need bile to stimulate bowel movements. Not eating enough fat is one cause, but simply not being able to produce enough bile in the first place might also be a factor. Apparently you can test this out by adding bile acid supplements and seeing if this helps.

    Fibre is complicated, you'll need to experiment to find out what makes things better and what makes things worse. Pulses seem to help me. I'm suspicious of fructans. Then there's the whole FODMAPs thing... apparently some kinds of bacteria produce methane which slows down the bowel.

  6. #16
    Willow16's Avatar
    Willow16 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    Lack of bile may also be a contributing factor. You need bile to stimulate bowel movements. Not eating enough fat is one cause, but simply not being able to produce enough bile in the first place might also be a factor. Apparently you can test this out by adding bile acid supplements and seeing if this helps.
    I have the same problem but taking liver supporting herbs which promote bile do the trick in one day. Give them a try. I have never eaten low fat so I'm thinking my liver/gall bladder might be sluggish. I've been taking one called "Liver Blend SP-13" from Solaray.

  7. #17
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    11,054
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    I have been eating primal for several years now so I know itís not the food. I don't even know what to do. I am convinced that if I didn't take the magnesium citrate tablets I would not be going at all.
    Primal is not 100% foolproof for everyone. It still could be a food problem. I would recommend you check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (scdlifestyle.com). It's basically an elimination-style diet to identify possible food issues. You start with a basic chicken soup recipe, with only pureed carrots left in after it is cooked, and then add foods from there. From this, I found that I can't eat anything starchier than squash without getting constipated. I'm still trying to sort out how to fix that. It's something to try, at least, without having to resort to a camera in your gut. I've been to the doctor many times about this in the past year+ since I started experiencing chronic constipation and tried all kinds of supplements. Leaky gut is a bitch to fix. I have found actually that more fruit and less veggies seems to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    I think delayed food allergies may have a part to play in constipation because an inflamed bowel doesn't move stuff through properly. For me that is gluten and possibly baker's yeast, but things haven't been settled enough to challenge with yeast. Pretty much any food could be responsible here, but some things are more likely than others.

    Lack of bile may also be a contributing factor. You need bile to stimulate bowel movements. Not eating enough fat is one cause, but simply not being able to produce enough bile in the first place might also be a factor. Apparently you can test this out by adding bile acid supplements and seeing if this helps.
    Inflammation is key for me. I don't know what causes my bowels to become inflamed most of the times. PUFAs will definitely do it. Grains definitely do it. But it seems like even a lot of veggies will do that to me too, so I have to take supplements like mag citrate to make the fecal matter easier to pass through my stupid gut.

    From my own experience, bile doesn't seem to be an issue. I tried Betain HCL w/ pepsin for a bit and it eliminated the heartburn I was experiencing. It didn't change my slow motility. Eventually, the heartburn came back, so I stopped taking the HCL, and then the heartburn was gone, so I guess I didn't need the supplement for long.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  8. #18
    jenniferbarclay's Avatar
    jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Primal is not 100% foolproof for everyone. It still could be a food problem. I would recommend you check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (scdlifestyle.com). It's basically an elimination-style diet to identify possible food issues. You start with a basic chicken soup recipe, with only pureed carrots left in after it is cooked, and then add foods from there. From this, I found that I can't eat anything starchier than squash without getting constipated. I'm still trying to sort out how to fix that. It's something to try, at least, without having to resort to a camera in your gut. I've been to the doctor many times about this in the past year+ since I started experiencing chronic constipation and tried all kinds of supplements. Leaky gut is a bitch to fix. I have found actually that more fruit and less veggies seems to help.



    Inflammation is key for me. I don't know what causes my bowels to become inflamed most of the times. PUFAs will definitely do it. Grains definitely do it. But it seems like even a lot of veggies will do that to me too, so I have to take supplements like mag citrate to make the fecal matter easier to pass through my stupid gut.

    From my own experience, bile doesn't seem to be an issue. I tried Betain HCL w/ pepsin for a bit and it eliminated the heartburn I was experiencing. It didn't change my slow motility. Eventually, the heartburn came back, so I stopped taking the HCL, and then the heartburn was gone, so I guess I didn't need the supplement for long.
    How did you determine what foods caused your bowels to become inflamed? I find that interesting that even vegetables can cause issues. I've never suffered from heartburn, so I'm assuming it's something going wrong strictly in my digestive tract.

  9. #19
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    11,054
    You take it one by one. By whittling it down to a basic chicken soup, you can then test foods 3 days at a time. That's pretty standard for an elimination diet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  10. #20
    AuroraB's Avatar
    AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SD, USA
    Posts
    548
    PrimalCon New York
    All good tips given, to be sure.

    IMO, I think it's too much fiber. At least that always seems to be the case for me. Then I read some study that supported my belief.

    That being said, I like veggies and fruit very much and still eat them, just maybe not as much. I tend to eat more protein and fat and really only use coconut oil, tallow or butter for cooking and baking. JoanieL is spot on about NOT stressing over it. It can only make it worse for most people.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •