Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fat = poor sleep!!! page

EVIL is offline Junior Member

High fat = poor sleep!!!

Shop Now
    i am still in my early research phase for this dilemna, but here's the gist of it:

"A high-fat diet may contribute to disrupted sleep and excessive daytime tiredness"

for about 6 weeks now (since my wonderful discovery of Raw, Grass-fed Heavy Cream) i've been making whipped cream every night about an hour before bed.

i like the heavy cream because 1) it satisfies appetite like nothing else (at least in my case), 2) it is delicious, and 3) it is an easy and pleasurable way to get in some extra calories

my problem: since i started eating the cream, i now only sleep for about 4 hours. then for the remaining time of my 'sleep', i wake up every 15 minutes, roll over to my other side, and repeat. the only thing that i can attribute these new poor sleeping habits to is the heavy cream at night...

my conundrum: considering the fact that saturated fat is good for you... when would be the optimal time to eat high fats? i usually train twice per day, so i have always saved the fatty foods for night time after all training was finished, because i feel like they slow down digestion a lot, and i don't like to feel heavy during a workout.

do any of you guys eat high amounts of saturated fats? if so, do you eat it before or after workouts? i'm not sure if it is the amount of saturated fats that is affecting my sleep, or if it is their timing of intake...

here's some links to articles:

Weight Gain Induced By High-Fat Diet Increases Active-Period Sleep And Sleep Fragmentation - Medical News Today

Dr. Michael J. Breus: Less Sleep Means More Calories

Dr. Michael J. Breus: A High-Fat Diet Undermines Sleep

PS - i think huff post is a credible source... i always confuse it with "the onion", in which case, the joke is on me!
    Last edited by EVIL; 11-07-2013 at 12:19 PM.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    My sleep sucked when I had a high fat consumption RELATIVE to my carb consumption. It was low carb that ruined my sleep. I've noticed that fat before bed helps me to sleep better than without it as long as I've had enough carbs through the day to support my metabolic rate.

Otherwise, eat the fats whenever feels good to you. I like them in the evening because they help me relax and sleep, but that's my preference and experience.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

zizou is offline Senior Member
    It's your high fat low carb diet thats doing it. Believe me, save yourself time and just start eating carbs to satiety, stop stressing about it and get back to a solid 6-8hrs sleep pattern.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Maybe have a baked banana with your cream? And some chocolate?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

i guess i will eat more carbs then...

the only problem with fiber dense carbs like sweet potatos, squash, and pumpkin is that they cause me to get bloated and seem to get kinda 'stuck' in my GI tract.

what kind of carbs are you guys eating on a daily basis? seems like i'm pretty limited when following the primal diet!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Some people find that using magnesium (topical or oral) magnesium before bed can help with that. The other option is a small tsp of honey about 30 minutes or so before bed - that helps many people.

Back when this forum was much more focused on ketosis, many people found they had sleep disturbances from high fat low carb. The most common solutions were to either wait it out (it will pass with time) or try the magnesium and/or honey options.

Good luck!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    I eat a banana before bed every night and that's helped my sleep. Low carb kept me awake a lot in the night.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL View Post
    i guess i will eat more carbs then...

the only problem with fiber dense carbs like sweet potatos, squash, and pumpkin is that they cause me to get bloated and seem to get kinda 'stuck' in my GI tract.

what kind of carbs are you guys eating on a daily basis? seems like i'm pretty limited when following the primal diet!
    Have you got some GI conditions? Pumpkin and sweet potatoe arent really that high fibre, dont eat the skin. Same for mormal potatoes. Dont have too much in one sitting, i recommend trying the purple skin, white flesh variety of sweet potatoe if you can find it.

Even having some fruit will help. Food combination might help too, try having just carbs before bed time, with not much fat and protein involved. I hope you find whats causing your problems with carbs and sort it, because your sleeping will improve when you do incorporate them to your needs. Could be as little as a 150g sized sweet potatoe before bed.

thanks guys... i definitely think it is the low carb.

yesterday i ate a lot of carbs, probably about 300g, and last night i slept like a baby! it was great

i might just try doing what was suggested, and every night right before bed, i'll have a small sweet potato. will report back after i give this a try for a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast