Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Primal (refontai) page

Refontai is offline Senior Member

Starting Primal (refontai)

Shop Now
    So I've been lurking around the website and the forums for a few months now. I lost about 7 pounds from mid September and really love how I felt eating totally primal but the last two weeks I've been eating everything in sight - bagels, starbursts, leftover rejected Halloween candy, half a bag of potato chips just this morning (it was a single serving bag but still!)

I need some accountability. My goal is to do a Primal30 - like a whole 30, only primal foods. 30 days with no grains, limited sugar (dark chocolate is required for breathing) and NO JUNK. I eat a lot of dairy and fruit, not enough vegetables, and meat I'm still getting used to. I went years barely eating any meat because it gave me an upset stomach - little did I know it was the super healthy whole grains! Any sort of grain almost instantly gives me a fever and extreme fatigue.

Ill take a day off for Thanksgiving but otherwise no cheating. I don't have a lot of weight to lose - 5'7" 161 with a fairly large frame, I'm looking to drop 10-15lbs and see where I am.

Also, I'm training for two half marathons and a 10k in the next two months (I know, Chronic Cardio, I ran one and absolutely hated it but had already signed up for the rest) so I'm hoping that doesn't throw off things too terribly bad. I'm training with a friend and we're both terribly competitive so I actually enjoy training. I also Lift Heavy Things (um, myself?) twice a week - working on the four primal movements, my goal is to do an unassisted pull up by 2014.

So. Off I go!

terijr is offline Member
    Congratulations on your journey! Yes dark chocolate is required for breathing!!!! love that! LOL Sounds like you know what to do so I know you will have success!

Quote Originally Posted by terijr View Post
    Congratulations on your journey! Yes dark chocolate is required for breathing!!!! love that! LOL Sounds like you know what to do so I know you will have success!
    Thank you terijr!

So yesterday was a rousing failure, but I consider today the start anyways. I started yesterday with potato chips and ended it with delicious pizza and a stomach ache. I blame the Boy for bringing me a hot fresh NY slice. He now knows better

Day 1:
    B: melon, Trader Joes whole milk greek yogurt with a splash of cream for good measure, latte made with half and half
    L: (projected) Omelette with tapenade and brie, bacon, some form of cooked vegetable (kale? asparagus?)
    S: Grapes, cashews, coconut oil (which is basically all the best bits of german chocolate cake frosting without the work)
    D: salad with shrimp and avocado, steak grilled with butter (mmmmmm)

Today is the Boy's mom's birthday, so we're going out to a rathah fahncy steakhouse with her. They do huge steaks grilled in butter, which will be amazing, but also my favorite chocolate cake ever and the best sourdough bread. Fortunately I've got a massive bloat belly from the pizza last night making my jeans look funny and reminding me the three seconds of mouth happiness isn't worth the three days of looking super pregs. I really just like bread as a vehicle for butter anyways. mmmm..... butter....

True story, when i was little, I used to steal swipes of butter from the butter dish at dinner when my mom wasn't looking. She would always see the fingermarks in the butter and ask me if I was eating it and I would say, as innocently as one can with a glob of butter in one's cheek, nooooooooo. See, I was destined to become primal!

Did sprints this morning before work with my training buddy, up a hill (she calls them suicides). There's two hills where we do sprints, someday I want to be able to sprint both of them in one go! (double suicides) We only did about four but I was rather pleased I out-ran her each time - she's got about a mile of legs on me and is much faster of flat ground. Good to know my butt is good for something!!! *pats butt affectionately* *realizes is at work and attempts to not look creepy* *fails* It was miserable getting out there so early but its done for the day now and I got some time in the sun - thanks to daylight savings the sun sets before I even leave work now!

Tomorrow is a big yummy diner breakfast of bacon, eggs, and more bacon with the "M-i-L" before she leaves and then a long stroll to Trader Joes to restock my mostly-primal kitchen. The Boy still eats brown rice but otherwise is basically primal - meat, veg, nuts. No sugar, no grains. Now if i could just get him to stop bringing me home treats!

More tomorrow on everything but found this funny...

Boy goes to get me a latte and gets a skim on accident (I used to follow CW). He felt really bad and I was reassuring him "it's ok Ill sling some heavy cream in". Ha!
    You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

Did pretty well this weekend! I ate some (read: lots) of sugar but successfully managed to avoid all grains, even my beloved 7 layer chocolate ganache cake! I did have some pretty tasty hot cocoa while out shopping I didn't need, but I was assured there were no grains in it. I'm down a pound so I couldn't have done too badly.

Dinner Friday at Palm, had a biiiiig steak and a salad with salmon and avocado and bacon (OMG BACON) and two bites of flourless gluten free chocolate cake (it was good)

Saturday:
    No breakfast, just some coffee - too full from Friday still. Urk.
    Lunch: Small amount of tomato mozzarella salad and greek yogurt with mango.
    Dinner: Leftover mashed potatoes from Boy's mom, fried eggs. Some more chocolate cake. Didn't finish it though - after a few bites I just threw the rest out. My teeth felt fuzzy for hours even after brushing.
    Movement: walked uptown to a running store that's going out of business (Will Walk For Sales) and then way down to Trader Joe's for groceries. All in probably 4 miles.

Sunday:
    Breakfast: Veggie omelet with bacon. Only ate half the omelet, couldn't be bothered to finish it. Skim latte with splash of heavy cream.
    Lunch: Greek yogurt with raspberries and mango. Trader Joes was out of fullfat yogurt so I got 2% and blended in about a tablespoon of cream. I liked it a lot, actually, but it was a pain to make. Also a small tangerine
    Dinner: Salad with chicken, avocado, tomato, cucumber, seasoned salt and olive oil. mashed potato (literally one potato) Four tangerines, one square of dark chocolate, spoonful of coconut oil
    Movement: screwed up here. Met a friend at 4:00 for a "shorter" run, ended up covering eight miles. I hadn't fueled properly (read: at all) and didn't bother to carry anything, recklessly thinking that I'm a Primal Beast and don't need fuel. Spent the evening on the couch groaning, eating everything in sight (fortunately the cat was hiding), and reading that it takes weeks to become fat adapted. Silly mortal.

Boy was locked out of the house so the last mile was really a sprint too, running flat out a few blocks, stopping for a light (or idiot pedestrians), running again. Probably while I felt terrible but I'm absurdly proud I could do sprints on empty too.

Today:
    Breakfast: IF (Inadvertent Fasting) Came into work, settled down with my coffee, and got slammed with a big research issue my coworker couldn't handle. By the time it was sorted out and everyone was happy, it was 1:00 (my normal lunchtime)
    Lunch: 2% greek yogurt with cream, raspberries and mango, half a taco salad (taco meat, avocado, sour cream, tomato, lettuce, cheese). I meant to eat the whole salad but i was on the phone with my mom at the same time and was too busy talking to chew. The yogurt was intended for breakfast but never made it in my tummy. Ill probably finish the salad for dinner (I stuck it in the fridge)

looking at this, I eat a lot of dairy. I'm slimming down so I think that's ok but maybe I should try cutting back on it.

Random Thoughts:

1. I started my kitty on grain free food two weeks ago. She's pretty overweight and not interested in playing, likes pets but not snuggles, and kinda has a bad attitude (I love her to death, obviously) She still has Cat Chow mixed in with the grain free food because Miss Kitty is uber picky but she's been less grouchy and more cuddly. Last night she was rooting around in her toy basket and took out a toy she hadn't played with in ages. We only played for about five minutes but that's more than the last two weeks total. I think its the grain free food.

2. My sister asked for some help straightening out her eating on Saturday. I wanted to encourage Primal but she's super stubborn (runs in the family) so I just used the term "food you think is healthy" when I was making suggestions. She knows i eat a lot of fat and no grains, no need to push the issue. Later, she called me from the grocery store and asked if she could have potatoes and beans. I was like, um, sure, why not? Bean embargo? Gnome hiding in the potatoes? And she goes "no, I'm doing your thing. No grains. I'm at the store, tell me what to buy". Today she texted me just to tell me how great she was feeling physically. Fingers crossed it sticks!!!!

It's snowing. Yuck. The weather is making me grumpy and I want to hibernate for a few weeks. I'm sure my friends and family want me to hibernate for a few weeks too at this point lol. *grumble grumble*

Yesterday
    D: half a chicken breast, green beans, half a medium size baked potato. Wasnt very hungry and had to force this down
    Movement - decided to do weights. 3 sets of 8 pull ups, 85lbs assist, ditto chin ups. Chest press, 3x8 at 60lbs, 3x8 squats at 45 pounds, incline sit ups and a plank for 62 seconds.

Does lifting make anyone else gain weight (I think I'm talking to myself here so ... Yes! it makes me gain! Aww, me too.) I'm up 1.5lbs from yesterday and while I ate a lot because I love food, I don't think I ate that much. *grumble*

Maybe its because I got no sleep. Boy couldn't sleep and thought it was fair to randomly talk to me all night, he woke me up a good 5-6 times to tell me he couldn't sleep. He's already been warned a repeat performance tonight will NOT end well for him!

Today i'm IF-ing breakfast, planning on am omelet for lunch and chicken soup for dinner. At least there will be bacon!

Feel like I'm getting sick. I thought you didn't get sick on Primal? Moar veggies!!!!!!

Had scrambled eggs w/ bacon for lunch and chicken soup for dinner. I was trying to limit dairy so i had no yogurt or lattes but distractedly poked a piece of mozzarella in my mouth before I realized cheese = dairy. I tend to think of cheese as a food group unto itself. Anyways, it didn't seem to affect me. I stole a few potato chips from a coworker and had a hard time tasting food after that. Either the salt or the potato really numbed my taste buds!!

~1 cup Greek yogurt w/ a tbsp cream, a few chunks of mango (1/3c?), and some terrible raspberries for breakfast. Ran about 3 miles before work - it was 28 degrees out!! I need to plan my mornings better so I can make a hot breakfast - I still feel cold.

The scale is irritating me, after my run it "claimed" i weigh 163 but my size 6 pants still fit perfectly and I don't even look bloated. I didnt eat enough chips to cause this. Ive been tracking on my fitness pal and I only came in at about 1100 calories yesterday - kind of low but I didn't feel good and didn't want to eat. Monday I was at about 1500. My macros average out to 24/56/20 (carbs/fat/protein, goal is 25/55/20) and 28/44/28 - a little off bit still not enough to gain three pounds in two days. Do I eat too much fruit or dairy? Should I eat more veg?

Is this just how it works? three pounds up, one pound down?

Help!

I've been re-reading the PB book at work (while on hold, I'm not THAT bad of an employee) and I have a few ideas for tweaks that might help. I think I'm eating too many potatoes, too much fruit, and not enough veggies or protein. I've had a salad once this week and it was at the Palm - not exactly the BAS I should be having. I'm going to try to have one every day for lunch for a week and see if it helps. I'm also cutting out potatoes for the same week - I don't need them. I don't want to give them up completely, I love potatoes (sweet and regular) but I think maybe until I lose some weight I need to cut down. On days when I eat breakfast, I'm going to make sure its eggs and bacon and veggies, and ill try to lay off the greek yogurt - I just bought some Fage total (why don't the stores carry this? I had to order it through Fresh Direct) and I'll try to make it last - smaller portions or something.

Really, I have no idea if this will help but I'll try. I'm also going to start taking a multi and iodine and drinking more water. I kinda hate water, esp when its this cold, but I'm thirsty a lot. hey, hot herbal tea counts as water right???

yeseterday:
    L: missed. Things needed to be finished at work, so instead of going to lunch I stuck around and finished a project. I had a banana and some coconut oil for a snack
    D: Mashed potato, salami, asparagus. When I go shopping i need to get more meat I really like, all we ever eat is chicken.

And no more potatoes.
    Last edited by Refontai; 01-21-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast