Thread: What your teeth say about your health page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

What your teeth say about your health

Primal Fuel
    This is quite interesting — though perhaps some of these suggested links, proved or not, won't be surprising to people here:

Our teeth may provide valuable clues about our health—and the way we live may also affect the health of our teeth, says Anne-Marie Bollen, D.D.S., Ph.D., professor of orthodontics at the University of Washington in Seattle. "Your teeth are part of your body, too," Bollen says. ...
    What Your Teeth Say About Your Health - News - Brighton-Pittsford Post - Brighton, NY

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Weston A Price was one of the first dentists to make that connection and strangely i have stumbled across a few more here and there.

Not sure whether dental/oral condition is a causal factor though, in my mind I see it more as another expression of poor health, so just another dymptom to tell us to change something for the better.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    "The Gum-Heart Link -- In 2012, a scientific statement from the American Heart Association supported an association between heart disease and periodontal, or gum, disease. But according to the AHA, studies haven’t yet proven that gum disease causes heart disease or stroke. Nor has research shown that treating gum disease will reduce the risk of developing these conditions. However, says the AHA, this doesn't mean a link won't be shown down the road."

Did these AHA numb nuts just say gum disease might cause heart attacks?

From archaeology we know paleolithic humans had few cavities, and Weston Price noticed this same deal in the 1930s. In some of the tribes Price studied cavities basically didn't exist, plus they had solid jaws without crooked teeth.

The connection between heart attacks and teeth is -- sugar and white flour.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 11-14-2013 at 04:39 AM.

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    One thing that struck me was that paleo man didn't suffer from wisdom teeth. They grew in normally. Everytime I think about that I think, what the hell happened to our jaws?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skotcharu View Post
    One thing that struck me was that paleo man didn't suffer from wisdom teeth.
    Exactly! I've asked about that one ever since I was a kid, it never added up to me. Why are they there then?

tleela is offline Junior Member
    I was going there be more details, but the dementia link is quite intriguing to me. My 90 year old grandfather only recently developed dementia, and I had blamed statins for it, but he has ill-fitting dentures and only wears the top one. 91 percent increased risk, yowza!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skotcharu View Post
    One thing that struck me was that paleo man didn't suffer from wisdom teeth. They grew in normally. Everytime I think about that I think, what the hell happened to our jaws?
    I'm quite the lucky one in this regard. I'm one of the only people I know with a full mouth of teeth and no issues. Yup all wisdom teeth in without pain. Interesting thing is that when I went to the dentist they still recommended getting them out (way back when) for absolutely no reason. I was like WTF? You wanna just go ahead and rip out my gall bladder, appendix, and tonsils while your at it? You know just in case. Pffft face palm.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    #1 Key to Health: Traditional Fats and Sacred Foods | The Healthy Home Economist
    interesting reading...I blame mummy for my English smile
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk