Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsil stones; do/did you have them? How do you treat them? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

Tonsil stones; do/did you have them? How do you treat them?

Primal Fuel
    For those that don't know, tonsil stones (https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=t...w=1366&bih=643) are small (a couple of mm diameter typically) whitish lumps that can form in the recesses of your throat. At some point they will come loose and you'll either involuntarily swallow them or spit them out. They seem to be created by a build up of food material and can lead to bad breath. If you crush a tonsil stone you will be amazed at the disgusting stink. So recently my incidence of tonsil stones has increased massively.

Lived in Scotland, rarely had tonsil stones (every few weeks/months), small, mostly white.
    Now live in Singapore. Regularly get tonsil tones (several times a week), often large, sometimes yellowish black/brown, leads to halitosis.

For instance last night one came up while eating (mid sized and blackish), then another mid sized one this morning (blackish) then 2 very small ones (white). Now my diet has changed significantly which seems like the reason for the increase in tonsil stones. However my diet has changed so much I can't pin down anything one cause. Changes include:

-Less meat, protein and animal fat
    -More carbohydrates
    -More fruit
    -Filtered water instead of tap
    -Different vegetables
    -Significantly more spices and chilli
    -More seafood

My oral hygiene includes brushing twice a day, mouth wash and flossing which doesn't seem to make any difference. While I can't figure out how to reduce them, I do make myself retch with my toothbrush which seems to help loosen them so the they come out sooner and reduce my halitosis. So does any body have experience of tonsil stones and what I can do?
    Last edited by AMonkey; 11-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

justme is offline Senior Member
    I had no idea that they had a name, or that anyone else had them. They used to come loose pretty often, but I haven't had it happen in a really long time. I have no idea why!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

abraka8 is offline Member
    Do you eat nuts?

abraka8, not to butt in, but I eat a lot off and on. Why do you ask?

abraka8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    abraka8, not to butt in, but I eat a lot off and on. Why do you ask?

Just because I believe nuts can cause the stones. Little pieces can get trapped in the tonsil crypts and cause problems.

That's interesting, and gross!

Ron_Swanson is online now Senior Member
    Usually they are caused by excess calcium and lower immune system function combined with genetics. I would supplement magnesium as well as make sure your vitamin D levels are as close to 70-80 that you can get.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, itís all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Yes, lower immune system function and frequent infections is one link. I used to get tonsil stones (tonsilloliths) in my youth when I was prone to bacterial and viral infections and my mother was feeding me loads of pasteurized whole milk, wheat, oats and baked goods to try to try to fatten me. Having a poor bacteria mix is another link, and tonsil stone bacteria apparently love easily digestible carbs and alcohol:

Preventing Tonsil Stones | Tonsil Stoned
    What Causes Tonsil Stones

"If I eat any sugar/starch at all, they instantly collect white lumps."
    For more Paleo Diet hacks: Tonsils make T-cells...what if your tonsils aren't in great shape? - Paleohacks

Peatarians, don't worry, I'm not implying that all carbs are bad for all people or anything like that, just reporting these links I found. The whole picture is probably even more complex than what these links people have made suggest.

One "carb" that's supposed to feed good bacteria while starving bad bacteria and carrying the bad ones out the poop chute is resistant starch, which is discussed in the resistant starch thread.

Some foods contain natural antibiotics. Ray Peat advocates one such food - raw carrots - for example (though I think his main reason is the beneficial effects on hormones). Wild and heritage plant foods contain much more.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 11-07-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail
    3) YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    4) It may improve discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    The tonsils are part of the lymph system, which means they are of the immune system. It's probably their way of cleansing.

I wonder if your immune system were 'boosted' if you'd see a decrease in the tonsil stones. Jumping on a mini-trampoline or rebounder can help to move the lymph fluid. Also, do you take Vit. D3 or know what your serum blood level is?
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

HaggisWhisperer is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I get these, and have done for as long as I remember - although mostly from the left side only. They have substantially decreased in frequency since following a primal diet though. Maybe it is to do with the much reduced carb intake and generally healthier diet I now have (~50g/day versus typical British diet [I would have said Scottish, but I never considered deep fried Mars bars a food group ]). I can tell when one is lurking though as the lymph node by my ear gets really swollen (must be an inflammatory reaction going on) but as soon as the stone is gone the lymph node goes back down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast