Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Squats aren't as effective as we thought! page 2

  1. #11
    Blacksmith's Avatar
    Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, CT
    Posts
    455
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Wait...how do you pee in the woods?
    Put one leg up on a tree?
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

  2. #12
    OldSchhool's Avatar
    OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,811
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Umm. no?

    But seriously, my glutes dont fire readily, and I dont feel them firing when I squat. I cant go down to full squat yet though, so that's probably why.
    I actually thought he was being serious there for a moment as well !

    Getting back to your glute issue, the glutes become more involved as the angle between your torso and thighs decreases. So if you think about the squat this angle is decreasing the lower you go. If you do lunges, leaning forward will put more activation to the glutes. If you leg press, putting your feet higher on the foot plate will activate the glutes more.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 11-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.

  3. #13
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Consider this: the glutes' function is hip extension. How is it possible that a person can squat, which requires hip extension, without their glutes firing?

    It doesn't matter if you can't feel them firing, this is true of many muscles. This is not indicative of them not working.
    Ah, okay. Sorry for the novice question, but what's the difference between feeling it and not feeling it? If you feel it does it mean you're working the muscles harder or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Wait...how do you pee in the woods?
    Without holding a barbell


    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I actually thought he was being serious there for a moment as well !

    Getting back to your glute issue, the glutes become more involved as the angle between your torso and thighs decreases. So if you think about the squat this angle is decreasing the lower you go. If you do lunges, leaning forward will put more activation to the glutes. If you leg press, putting your feet higher on the foot plate will activate the glutes more.
    Yeah, these guyes.. such a pack of jokers

    Thanks for the info! That makes sense.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 11-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  4. #14
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,058
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ah, okay. Sorry for the novice question, but what's the difference between feeling it and not feeling it? If you feel it does it mean you're working the muscles harder or what?
    There is no difference. "Feeling the burn", being sore, muscles activating, are all terms used by the incompetent members of the fitness industry to sell you inferior products and training systems.

    You know how you know whether a muscle is working properly? If it gets stronger. You know how you can tell your glutes are firing when you squat? When your squat is getting stronger. It's as simple as that.

  5. #15
    granth's Avatar
    granth is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2
    You clearly didnt understand the video. This is for training your glutes without loading your spine...

  6. #16
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    You clearly didnt understand the video. This is for training your glutes without loading your spine...
    Is that necessarily a good thing? If you use proper form and brace your spine correctly, isn't it ok for force to be transferred along your spine? Yeah, I know that you can do damage if you load it up incorrectly and use poor form, but I don't think that means you should avoid using your lumbar muscles/spinal erectors at all costs. Compound weight bearing movements have been in style for a looong time. Isolation movements are much newer and seem to mostly be used by bodybuilders.

  7. #17
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    Furthermore, the exercise he recommends is simply contracting the glutes in isolation without any resistance. Assuming that because no other muscles are working very hard, this is the most effective exercise -- more effective than, say, a heavy deadlift, is ridiculous. That would be like saying "Okay, now push shoulder forward and down toward your nipple... now you've just contracted the chest!! Make sure not to do pushups or bench press, because then you'll be activating the triceps and the lats and the shoulders!! Do these shoulder crunches every day!"
    Very well said.

  8. #18
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,382
    And one more thing. Didn't Bret Contreras make the argument that squats and deads are not the best glute exercises like 3 years ago?

    T NATION | Dispelling the Glute Myth

    He doesn't recommend against squats and deads, he just recommends that anyone looking to strengthen/build their glutes include some of the exercises he lists and demonstrates in the article linked above.

  9. #19
    bcbcbc2's Avatar
    bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Consider this: the glutes' function is hip extension. How is it possible that a person can squat, which requires hip extension, without their glutes firing?

    It doesn't matter if you can't feel them firing, this is true of many muscles. This is not indicative of them not working.
    Because the hamstring and adductor groups also have hip extension functions it probably is possible.

    Does it happen in non-pathological cases? I doubt it but I don't know.

  10. #20
    bcbcbc2's Avatar
    bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Umm. no?

    But seriously, my glutes dont fire readily, and I dont feel them firing when I squat. I cant go down to full squat yet though, so that's probably why.
    I think what you feel in the lunges is more the extra stretch than extra firing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •