Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Kim Absolutely Crushes the Ridiculous Notion of Being "Fat Adapted" page 6

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Oh, exactly! I'm in a Wall-E chair right now!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    If you keep it up, you might need a Baron Harkonen Levitation Suit!

plastic is offline Junior Member
    "Mark Sisson's core concept of The Primal Blueprint is a sound one - eat real, fresh, nutritious whole foods, avoid processed, low-nutrient/high anti-nutrient foods. But then he has to go and muddy the waters with groundless bullshit to create a unique product that he can trademark as his own and sell. On one hand he advocates whole foods, but on the other he advocates added fats. He has this ridiculous and groundless "Carbohydrate Curve" that completely undermines the consumption of real food - you can eat all the meat and eggs you want, but you have to count your fruits. It's a cardinal sin to add a 16 calorie packet of white sugar to your coffee, but it's okay to emulsify half a stick of butter in it."
    I don't even care about this argument, but that is such a profound instance of dishonesty that it can't go unmentioned. The paragraph clearly, structurally, attributes the bolded claim to Mark. It is, as everyone knows, a lie. And it is even more dishonest - and telling - for the author to pretend that Mark was not the subject.

One person is a hyperventilating zealot about whichever is the latest "OMG this is the answer!" article, and one person distributes pragmatic advice to a diverse readership within a range of options label 'primal.'

Can you guess which is which?

Talk about projecting your own worst qualities onto another...jesus.

Nice, Baron Harkonen suit. Googled it, awesome.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
    I don't even care about this argument, but that is such a profound instance of dishonesty that it can't go unmentioned. The paragraph clearly, structurally, attributes the bolded claim to Mark. And it is even more dishonest - and telling - for the author to pretend that Mark was not the subject.
    Honestly, the way I read it, I'm pretty sure Choco was talking about the opinions of (some of) the people on the forums.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Nice, Baron Harkonen suit. Googled it, awesome.
    Yeah, pretty rad.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    The entire paragraph is referring to Sisson's approach, but yet you now want to claim that your ridiculous straw man in last sentence isn't referring to that also? Please. At least have the balls to own your statements.
    1.) It is the general consensus on MDA.
    2.) It is in Sisson's pyramid. Added fats are above fruit, dairy and nuts - actual whole foods. Any kind of sugar, even more nutritious ones (honey, maple syrup, molasses, palm sugar) is not mentioned.

No matter how you spin it, it is what it is. The actual straw man here is you're trying to discount the entire post on some kind of technicality that doesn't hold up no matter how you split the hair.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    It's funny the fury in those like J stanton attack those that call out some of the "paleo" woo science.

It must suck having your whole identity tied into a community that has almost as much misinformation and junk science as the raw fruitarian crowd
    I think the general gist of paleo is wonderful. It's the overassumptions about what our ancestors did/didn't eat and the hijacking by people trying to profit from it that burns my ass and leads people astray. "Eat real food, not processed food." That is absolutely beautiful. Fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, nuts, dairy. Avoid grains, vegetable oils and refined foods. But that includes refined sugars AND fats. A teaspoon of coconut oil to cook your eggs? No problem. A teaspoon of sugar in your coffee? No problem. But when added fats or sugars are making up significant quantities of your calories, and when you have something like the Carbohydrate Curve and the Primal Blueprint Food Pyramid that instills fear of perfectly whole foods (fruit and dairy) while promoting empty calories like refined fats...it does more harm than good.

I'm all about simplification. If I wrote a book on how to eat, it would be 3 pages long with two of them being the front and back covers.

I think Mark Sisson is a good dude, and he definitely revolutionized my way of eating. He's the guy that changed me. But at this point he is obligated to make regular posts and this is becoming an industry for him that forces him to generate too much content and produce irresponsible products like fish oil and protein powder supplements. I think he certainly means well, but by trying to grow his business he is reaching way too far IMO. The Primal Blueprint was better when it was scaled back. But what is superior? A good product that reaches more people or a great product that reaches less? Mark is choosing the former.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-07-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

And in all fairness to Choco, Meat, eggs, potatoes, dairy is treating me pretty well so far. Making gains in the gym, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi All--i have my wellies on so i can wade into this (!)
    As usual for me, i agree with all of the above and none of the above. My two cents might not mean much here, but so what? It's "one of THOSE threads"!

Mark has the best "take" on good nutrition and fitness around for MOST people. What I especially appreciate is that he poses it as a guideline, but it is up to each of us to figure out how it all works out for us. The hard line stances aren't from him--they are from the forums.

For instance, Mark doesn't take up the issues of post-menopausal women. I've had to fiddle around, first trying what (mostly) you all here advocate, upping the fat and lowering the carbs (even vegetables and fruit) and lowering protein. It worked fine, for awhile. I shifted body comp...for awhile (I was already in fairly good shape with 21% body fat when i started). But i never felt good--the fat was too hard to digest and no, it wasn't "too much," more like 60-80/90 grams per day. Couldn't digest it.

So I shifted to more carbs and protein, but only vegetables (i happen to dislike fruit...) and not starchy ones (that i LOVE but don't agree with me, damnit!). Body comp shifted down more and i feel SO MUCH BETTER--so much more energy.

That may change in the future, depending on how i feel. Choco may sometimes rub some of us the wrong way (me too...) but he has good ideas to CONSIDER, just as many others do. Does he sometimes rant? Sure. So what? If you react to his rant with dismissiveness and don't listen (to him or anyone else that sets you off...), you let his feelings dictate your own. Let him be who he is!

(I'll admit i have my own blind sides where someone can go off and i just want to smack 'em! But i try to listen then too...and sometimes fail at my own advice!)

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast