Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Kim Absolutely Crushes the Ridiculous Notion of Being "Fat Adapted" page 14

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime-Animal View Post
    LOL. Loved the use of the word skirmish there.

Indeed a chess skirmish is far more exciting than a 4 day cricket summit.

Agreed that we are not all elite level athletes, but we can train really hard. Will I ever be a professional MMA fighter? Probably not, I don't have the ambition of earning a living delivering snd receiving punches to the cranium. Do I require more than 150 grams pf carbs with 3 times a week strength training + 3-4 times of BJJ/kickboxing, I believe so.

I think thats a little unfair to say because you don't know what the factors behind falling apart are. Is it genetics? Over training? Not enough rest? Lifestyle choices (drugs/smoking/drinking/ whatever) and what about food choices? How many of these atheletes are refuelling with grains, perhaps unnatural juices, gatorades, and weigt gainer shakes?

Quality is part of the equation too, not just quantity.

Lastly, when athletes take care of their body they generally look fantastic in their old age. Even though, physically athletes go through the MOST wear and tear physically.
    Yeah and the bolded part is really what I was getting at as well. There are a lot of factors when it comes to being an athlete. Don't be sucked into thinking that each of these guys lives a virtious nutrition filled life. Many of them are still sucking down 12 packs of beer and soda while eating pizza and twinkies. Some of them aren't, but it happens to them at the same time it happens to most humans..... when stuff starts going wrong. They hit their thirties and lose a step, or put on a bit of a belly....then its "oh shit, better change my ways" time. They are human is all.

Anyhow, we were talking glycogen. I'm not a ketoer.... just general low carb, but I work out very hard for 30-45 minutes 3 times a week. That is not being an athlete, but I have tried loading up on carbs for this routine, and it made no difference at all. Its because even as a low carber I create and store enough glycogen in my rest periods to get through my routine with no bonking. Even a keto athlete has like 200-300 grams of glycogen ready to go. Its just that this amount is less than the 500-600 of a fully carbed up fella. So workout frequency, length, intensity all play a role. Most people aren't gonna burn through more than a 100g of that glycogen in a workout like mine (high intensity, but relatively fast and short).....

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I, too, never find that I haven't consumed enough carbohydrate to fuel my activities. I lift 2 or 3 times a week, sprint 2 times and do a strenuous hike at least once a week. I don't consciously manipulate my carbohydrate intake either direction. I eat potatoes daily, sometimes candy, but my carbs don't get much higher than about 150. I feel great and energetic. In fact, I credit the sprinting most of all for giving me the extra energy I feel these days. I think too many people are too concerned about what they stick in their mouths, as if that's the key to everything. I think putting in the hard work training makes a bigger difference.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Prime-Animal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Cow pasture pool.... more commonly called golf
    Dear lord... You're right... QUICK BREAK THE TV!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah and the bolded part is really what I was getting at as well. There are a lot of factors when it comes to being an athlete. Don't be sucked into thinking that each of these guys lives a virtious nutrition filled life. Many of them are still sucking down 12 packs of beer and soda while eating pizza and twinkies. Some of them aren't, but it happens to them at the same time it happens to most humans..... when stuff starts going wrong. They hit their thirties and lose a step, or put on a bit of a belly....then its "oh shit, better change my ways" time. They are human is all.

Anyhow, we were talking glycogen. I'm not a ketoer.... just general low carb, but I work out very hard for 30-45 minutes 3 times a week. That is not being an athlete, but I have tried loading up on carbs for this routine, and it made no difference at all. Its because even as a low carber I create and store enough glycogen in my rest periods to get through my routine with no bonking. Even a keto athlete has like 200-300 grams of glycogen ready to go. Its just that this amount is less than the 500-600 of a fully carbed up fella. So workout frequency, length, intensity all play a role. Most people aren't gonna burn through more than a 100g of that glycogen in a workout like mine (high intensity, but relatively fast and short).....
    Of course there are those athletes who eat what ever is in front of them cause they burn so much fuel they figure its just gonna be used to replace energy. More and more athletes actually are investing in better and better nutrition.

I'm still playing around with my diet. When I went through the "fat adaptation" period I was training 4 times a week with ~ 70g of carbs a day, coming from veggies, thats it (could have been lower). I was able to train after an initial dip in intensity, but it wasn't with the same intensity as now with those glucose stores maxed out.

Of course, maybe my system is wired up for more carbs, while yours isn't. I just found after the first couple weeks I started wastinf muscke. I was getting leaner, but I was losing muscle

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i'm really disappointed to see the great sport of cricket disparaged in the later pages of this thread.

i'm just kidding! cricket fucking sucks!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a myth that being "fat-adapted" is the reason for stable energy without crashes and unpleasant hunger symptoms. There are many people who eat relatively high-carb diets and have the same experience, so that right there debunks it. I think it is actually quality protein that levels out the highs and lows. While fats in large quantities can be satiating for some people, I think it's misleading to say that being fat-adapted is the reason for metabolic stability. I think adequate quality protein (read: not incomplete plant proteins) coupled with adequate micronutrients is more likely what brings about the benefits that the "fat-adapted" camp takes credit for. Carbs and fats are individual preferences, but I believe the underrated one here is protein. People who feel the need to graze all day are unlikely to have eaten a chunk of quality animal protein and/or bone broth; they most likely eat poor quality plant proteins with inadequate quality animal protein and other insulinogenic components, on top of low-calorie small meals that probably lack many micronutrients. When I eat tiny meals, I seem to never fill up. When I eat a large meal, I stay full much longer. And by large, I mean caloric, not just voluminous leafy greens.
    Last edited by j3nn; 11-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i'm really disappointed to see the great sport of cricket disparaged in the later pages of this thread.

i'm just kidding! cricket fucking sucks!
    Yeah. Cricket players are a bunch of fucking sugar heads, or fat burners, or whatever.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

According to Mark Sisson, refined fats are superior to fruit, dairy, tubers, nuts and chocolate and should make up a larger part of your diet than said real, whole, nutritious foods. Sugars, which are often more healthful than fats, don't even make the list at all.

Do you see this as a problem? I surely do. To promote refined fats - the very definition of empty calories - above fruit, dairy and nuts is ridiculous.
    Apologies if someone's already pointed this out (only read to page 9...), but this pyramid is sorted by caloric contribution to the diet, not by volume. Fry a plateful of vegetables in ghee, add a steak, eat an apple to follow, and you probably match the pyramid.

This doesn't amount to 'promoting' fats above fruit, it's just recognising the fact that they're more calorically dense.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    we're soapboxing now hilary

down with fat! up with fruit! down with mark, he eschews fruit and demands we all do the same!

am i close? can i invoke godwin's law now?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Apologies if someone's already pointed this out (only read to page 9...), but this pyramid is sorted by caloric contribution to the diet, not by volume. Fry a plateful of vegetables in ghee, add a steak, eat an apple to follow, and you probably match the pyramid.

This doesn't amount to 'promoting' fats above fruit, it's just recognising the fact that they're more calorically dense.
    Such sanity. Rare on these forums lately.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Omni is offline Senior Member

Atheletes are not role models of health

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It keeps coming up in all sorts of threads, particularly as support for the theory of glucose as preferred fuel.

What features make Atheletes role models of health?
    As far as I can see the majority of elite atheletic pursuits induce chronic body damage, how can this be healthy?
    If you ignore the top 5% in any sport, as these guys/gals win nearly everything they're in and this is more likely be to inate ability rather than training, the rest of the field is basically abusing their bodies in an attempt to beat the gifted ones, on occasion they may win but the price is steep.

They use every trick in the book to screw the last bit of performance out of their body, even to the point of collapse and death, how is this any different to using starving supermodels as female role models or bulging bodybuilders as male role models. They are all pursuits that push the body to extremes and if that's what you want, then fine, but understand everything has a price.

Maybe something like a Decathlon may go some way towards good health, at least it mixes it up a bit and utilises different parts of the body, but there is still the obsessive behaviours in the drive to be the best and these are not the best approach to life and health.

I feel that optimum health and elete sports are mutually exclusive, you can have one or the other, but not both, except for those gifted few who have an inate ability in their chosen sport.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast