Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Kim Absolutely Crushes the Ridiculous Notion of Being "Fat Adapted" page 13

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's a cardinal sin to add a 16 calorie packet of white sugar to your coffee, but it's okay to emulsify half a stick of butter in it.
    1.) It is the general consensus on MDA.
    The problem is that in the MDA of Choco's alternate reality, he is one of only a handful who eat any carbs. In his mind, the overwhelming majority of those on the forum are militant evangelical anti-carbers who live in fear of a grain of sugar passing through their lips, drink cup after cup of bulletproof coffee daily, and are totally out to silence him and force everyone on the forum onto a zero carb diet.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The problem is that in the MDA of Choco's alternate reality, he is one of only a handful who eat any carbs. In his mind, the overwhelming majority of those on the forum are militant evangelical anti-carbers who live in fear of a grain of sugar passing through their lips, drink cup after cup of bulletproof coffee daily, and are totally out to silence him and force everyone on the forum onto a zero carb diet.
    That's pretty insightful. Only because of my food preferences do I have to almost work to eat 150 grams of carbs per day. I don't strive to be lower carb - I'm lower carb because I like animals better than plants. I ate 91 grams of carbs today in the form of sweet potatoes. Egad. I neither feel sluggish, nor do I feel like a beast. It's just food.

For people for whom high fat is the answer, that's cool. For those who get freaked out by no/low carbs, that's cool. For the protein freaks among us - that's cool.

For those who think there is only one way and that way is their way, well, you're pretty much ignorant. Hopefully one day you'll take off the blinders. But if not, no big - people eventually see through you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Prime-Animal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Even chess looks like a brief skirmish compared to cricket
    LOL. Loved the use of the word skirmish there.

Indeed a chess skirmish is far more exciting than a 4 day cricket summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I find the athlete argument less than compelling. Many fancy themselves athletes. They aren't. Cruel but true. Sorry but that game of flag football you played last year don't make you an athlete. It don't mean you get to eat like Michael Phelps....and it don't mean eating like him, even if you work as hard as he does will make you healthy. Idolize these people if you want, but I don't. They look good in their 20's, and make a quick buck, but they tend to fall apart with age.
    Agreed that we are not all elite level athletes, but we can train really hard. Will I ever be a professional MMA fighter? Probably not, I don't have the ambition of earning a living delivering snd receiving punches to the cranium. Do I require more than 150 grams pf carbs with 3 times a week strength training + 3-4 times of BJJ/kickboxing, I believe so.

I think thats a little unfair to say because you don't know what the factors behind falling apart are. Is it genetics? Over training? Not enough rest? Lifestyle choices (drugs/smoking/drinking/ whatever) and what about food choices? How many of these atheletes are refuelling with grains, perhaps unnatural juices, gatorades, and weigt gainer shakes?

Quality is part of the equation too, not just quantity.

Lastly, when athletes take care of their body they generally look fantastic in their old age. Even though, physically athletes go through the MOST wear and tear physically.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Joe Weider looked pretty good almost right up to the end - he was over 90 when he died this year. He was looking frail by then, but Jeebs, he was 93.

OTOH, Ahnold looks like a packet of deflated steroids.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    This is an excellent observation. When the OP posts what he actually eats, it's pretty much in line with PB. I can't understand what all the drama is about day in and day out.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Prime-Animal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Joe Weider looked pretty good almost right up to the end - he was over 90 when he died this year. He was looking frail by then, but Jeebs, he was 93.

OTOH, Ahnold looks like a packet of deflated steroids.
    Absolutely correct on both accounts!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    To me, be fat adapted simply means you are readily able to tap in to fat stores without that horrible drop in blood sugar/nausea/need to eat anything or I will die - feeling kicks in.

Even eating a completely paleo diet, if I eat too much carbohydrate or sugar, I find that feeling comes back between meals. I will actually throw up if I don't eat something.

When I am eating only the carbs that come naturally from eating this way (no rice or added sugars), then I can go hours without eating with no problems at all. Fasting is easy. But I have to eat that way regularly, too many days of high carb and i have to go through the transition period again.

To me that means eating within a natural carbohydrate level gives me better access to fat stores than eating an high carb diet.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I think the general gist of paleo is wonderful. It's the overassumptions about what our ancestors did/didn't eat and the hijacking by people trying to profit from it that burns my ass and leads people astray. .
    The general gist of many diet plans is wonderful. But when a lot of relies on misreprested research and ignorant conclusions that have to to pass the caveman approval test then things start looking shonky.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Here's the deal with choco...

Choco hates PUFA's he blames every metabolic malaise squarely on them.

Then you got the other respected board members, neckhammer, rich mahogany, myself and many others all disliking PUFA's too. But we all agree that there are other factors (some more prevalent) that contribute to metabolic malaise's (like over consumption of cheap carbs). We try to explain this time and time again but he don't want to listen. He doesn't want to CONSIDER the stance of many of us and therefore we don't consider his stance. It usually devolves into what many other posters described in this thread (ie choco throwing the toys out of the pram).

S
    I'm not sure what you're reffereing to with "cheap carbs". Legumes, fruit, rice, potatos, oats and corn are all cheap carbs but that's not what has made the obesity problem what it is. In fact eating less of these cheap carbs has only made things worse.

But when you refer to "cheap carbs" I'm presuming you mean potato chips, cheetos and biscuits, which are actually packed with fat and couldn't even be called a carb source by calorie percentage.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime-Animal View Post
    Or some other uninteresting sport of preposterous length
    Cow pasture pool.... more commonly called golf

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Paleo for athletes" talks about the fat/carb burning ratio. I can't remember the test that can be done to measure the rate and I don't have the book handy. I ran across the article below though...

Paleo Diet Popular With Endurance Athletes - Nutrition - MensJournal.com

According to the book you can lower the amount of carb needed to burn with fat quite a lot and I would regard this as becoming fat adapted.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast