Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Barefoot sand running easier on body?

Barefoot sand running easier on body?

Shop Now
    I did a half-marathon recently and my training consisted of 3 runs a couple of weeks before (1x 4 mile and 2x 9 mile).

Funnily enough that may have been too much on too little preparation (Ya think ) and my right foot had pain at the top for a long while afterwards. A Google search revealed it could be a stress fracture, or I think it could also be tendon strain from my stretching my calves too vigorously (The stretch where you put your big toe against something and increase the angle).

Anyway long story short the pain has been getting better and I can only feel it if I try and move my big toe upwards using just my foot muscles. Does that make sense?

I'm going abroad soon and want to start running again, and as I'm near a beach that might be a good way to ease into it again. Good idea?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Running on sand is a lot more work. Also, shoes are a good idea. I did a barefoot 6 mile run on a beach once and the bottoms of my feet fell off.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Running on sand is a lot more work.
    Sent via lightsaber
    Indeed, in scouts we would go to Dunes State Park a 5 mile hike on the sand would take us hours and would pretty much leave us dead all evening.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Physical effort is fine - more bang per buck!

I just wondered if it is kinder to the feet as the sand will absorb some of the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    the sand will absorb some of the impact.
    Maybe, could also sprain an ankle pretty quickly or cause other injuries since sand does in fact shift and your feet will be hitting different every step. I'd suspect you'll have to run far less distance and far less often.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    I'd suspect you'll have to run far less distance and far less often.
    Which would probably also work out better for my feet too, thinking about it.

I've run on beaches loads of times, ankles are fine with it. Just this weird foot pain I don't want to exacerbate.

Cheers all!