Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet Experimenting page

melgirl is offline Junior Member

Raw Food Diet Experimenting

Primal Fuel
    Hi readers!

I have been doing a paleo type diet for the past year. I came up on this way of eating because I've had plantar fasciitis for almost two years. I think it helped but I am still not rid of this condition I did notice though the times that I ate non paleo, I felt the difference in pain levels. I was also told by a chiropractor to eat 100 grams of animal protein a day - including eggs and "raw" whey protein without the junk. As I was doing this I always felt "stuffed" by all the protein and kind of gross some days. So then I just kept it to meat, fish, chicken and eggs and cut they whey.

Over the past few months I've had other parts of my body hurting - upper back, hip flexors. I came upon another diet specifically for chronic pain and inflammation - basically an all raw vegan diet. Out of desperation and hope for some relief I have been eating this way for 7 days. Within the first few days, I noticed my joints felt less stiff. Overall I felt I had more mobility in my joints and my neck pain has really diminished. It's pretty much gone.

I am not sure how long I can go like this but I seem to be reacting well to it. I don't feel ravished really nor do I have any cravings for meat, etc. Also I am sleeping well. I have also cut out the sugar, which maybe is the key thing here - no paleo desserts with raw honey, dates, coconut sugar, maple syrup, bananas. only a bit of stevia. Another thing I thought which may not of been helping is eating too much chicken and eggs (which mostly weren't pastured becuase of the expense)

My foot pain has improved as well overall. I guess I am wondering if anyone has done the raw vegan thing?
    I was thinking of doing this for a month, see how I feel. If it's helping my foot pain then I think it will motivate me to keep going...Maybe I will try bring in eggs in a month as well.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melgirl View Post
    Hi readers!

My foot pain has improved as well overall. I guess I am wondering if anyone has done the raw vegan thing?
    I was thinking of doing this for a month, see how I feel. If it's helping my foot pain then I think it will motivate me to keep going...Maybe I will try bring in eggs in a month as well.
    Ever hear of Terry Wahls? She's kinda like raw vegan with a side of paleo. Big into bone broths and organ meats--only high quality meats. Pretty impressive story.

Like many physicians, Dr. Terry Wahls focused on treating her patients’ ailments with drugs or surgical procedures—until she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2000. Within three years, her back and stomach muscles had weakened to the point where she needed a tilt-recline wheelchair. Conventional medical treatments were failing her, and she feared that she would be bedridden for the rest of her life.

Dr. Wahls began studying the latest research on autoimmune disease and brain biology, and decided to get her vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids from the food she ate rather than pills and supplements. Dr. Wahls adopted the nutrient-rich paleo diet, gradually refining and integrating it into a regimen of neuromuscular stimulation. First, she walked slowly, then steadily, and then she biked eighteen miles in a single day. In November 2011, Dr. Wahls shared her remarkable recovery in a TEDx talk that immediately went viral. Now, in The Wahls Protocol, she shares the details of the protocol that allowed her to reverse many of her symptoms, get back to her life, and embark on a new mission: to share the Wahls Protocol with others suffering from the ravages of multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune conditions.
    And a TED Talk:

tarek is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people here probably won't approve, but honestly, you should do what makes you feel best as long as it works for you. All of the nutritional science in the world cannot change the impact certain foods have upon your body at certain points in time.

IMO, a raw vegan diet is a great way to cleanse the body and repair damage from illness. I think many people who struggle with weight loss and other issues would benefit massively from temporarily trying out a raw diet. After a month or two, try bringing some animal foods back into your diet and see how you feel.

I was raw vegan for about a year, year and a half. For me, it didn't really have the sort of effect it has on a lot of people, but I'm thinking that the way you've been eating before going raw, the sort of aches and pains and conditions your body has that are related to the kind of food you eat (which is a lot of them), is the key there. You're in the US, so the food you've been eating before is considerably different from what I was. I didn't have mysterious pains, I had very specific joint pains (including what I thought might have been plantar fasciitis in my right foot) connected to just being really overweight and having loose joints. I was also retaining water like crazy from having worked the night shift for over 2 years. Going from a clean-ish diet (that had WAY too much sugar in it) to raw vegan didn't help with the water retention or my joints. The pain in my foot turned out to be a semi chronic irritation of tendons from me constantly bobbing my foot up and down when I sit. I had to learn to not fidget and just get up and walk around and change my position often enough for the pain to go away.
    Also, losing a bunch of weight probably helped with that too.

There was stuff though, in being raw vegan that I liked and wanted to incorporate in how I eat for the rest of my life. Raw vegan treats are pretty awesome. Eating raw dates when I feel like having a sugar high, or making nut-date-raisin-whatever balls and cakes is a pretty good way of enjoying something that's very clean, a little unhealthy in large doses and still very very tasty (raw vegan chocolate and bars from the store can be really good for that too). Definitely something Grok would've eaten. Green smoothies is another thing. Or juices. Which ever you prefer. It does give you an enormous amount of energy with huge doses of all those nutrients that your body is probably craving the most. Having those and eating paleo don't in any way exclude each other.

Also, from what I've followed some people who were very vocal about their raw lifestyle, a lot of them started to include raw eggs and milk (so, not vegan) in their diet at some point and seemed to get even healthier.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    We invented a thing called cooking food, like 500 000 years ago.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melgirl View Post
    Hi readers!

I have been doing a paleo type diet for the past year. I came up on this way of eating because I've had plantar fasciitis for almost two years. I think it helped but I am still not rid of this condition I did notice though the times that I ate non paleo, I felt the difference in pain levels. I was also told by a chiropractor to eat 100 grams of animal protein a day - including eggs and "raw" whey protein without the junk. As I was doing this I always felt "stuffed" by all the protein and kind of gross some days. So then I just kept it to meat, fish, chicken and eggs and cut they whey.

Over the past few months I've had other parts of my body hurting - upper back, hip flexors. I came upon another diet specifically for chronic pain and inflammation - basically an all raw vegan diet. Out of desperation and hope for some relief I have been eating this way for 7 days. Within the first few days, I noticed my joints felt less stiff. Overall I felt I had more mobility in my joints and my neck pain has really diminished. It's pretty much gone.

I am not sure how long I can go like this but I seem to be reacting well to it. I don't feel ravished really nor do I have any cravings for meat, etc. Also I am sleeping well. I have also cut out the sugar, which maybe is the key thing here - no paleo desserts with raw honey, dates, coconut sugar, maple syrup, bananas. only a bit of stevia. Another thing I thought which may not of been helping is eating too much chicken and eggs (which mostly weren't pastured becuase of the expense)

I can't say anything about your condition. Try it out and let us know how you do.

What I can say for myself is that I have been interested and reading about this fruitarian style which is also a form of raw vegan. If you work through the rationale (while thinking in terms of primal), it actually makes sense when compared to any diet that allows processed foods. Fruits require no processing at all.

It's also a lot more convenient and requires no cooking. Bananas, apples, etc., are quick, convenient, and VERY cheap where I stay.

The way I figure is, even if I don't end up sticking strictly with it if I try it, I could try more of a "Warrior Diet" style of eating, fruit and vegetables earlier in the day and your other foods in the main meal at the end of the day. That way you get a good mix. You get all the benefits of fruit and you get to have a great meal of other foods at the end of the day. I've actually tried it like that and liked it A LOT. It is quite filling.

Kwaggz is offline Senior Member
    My mom is mostly raw vegan and has been for probably about a year. I get concerned that she is eating too many carb-laden foods/treats but it has helped her digestion and migraines considerably. She took a raw food class and loved it, you might look into that. She sources high quality raw nuts and fruits and vegetables, and juices a lot. I think that if it's helping you, keep up with it until it no longer does, and then think about adding in some high quality meats slowly and see how it makes you feel.. sort of an elimination diet!

Good luck!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The vegan treats are great. The eating so much roughage and undigestible food is not so great.

You probably simply had an unknown intolerance. Perhaps the whey was concentrate, not isolate. Many people have trouble with concentrate. Perhaps you are allergic to eggs.

A vegan diet is not the only anti-inflammation diet you can do and not the only elimination diet, either.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

melgirl is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the replies.

I was using a whey concentrate actually, but I actually want to avoid dairy for now so am not planning on getting back into whey again.

My second week doing this hasn't been so great pain wise - but it could be related to other factors. Still I think I may include some pastured eggs soon.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I won't tell you not to experiment, but maybe there are other connections here?

Maybe the whey was causing you issues not the protein?

Plantar fasciitis won't be cured by diet alone; physical therapy and proper walking/running form is even more necessary. PF and weak feet are most likely causing your back and other stability/support/posture issues.

The pain is due to inflammation, so cut back on all PUFAs (oversimplified any seed oils, vegetable, corn, canola, and soy) except *maybe* a really pure, unoxidized O3 and make sure you start working to structurally correct your feet. I got PF after rucking in ill fitting boots with a heavy pack and running on concrete for a couple months. This is how I fixed mine:

I got really good custom fitted orthotics and wore those religiously for a year. If your feet don't feel better within a few minutes, they don't fit properly. This will correct your posture and ease stress on your feel so they can heal.

After a year, I had very little pain left, so I started walking in regular shoes from day to day and only wore orthotics in my work boots and running shoes. I stretched and did some at home physical therapy foot exercises (google them) often.

After six months or so of that I took the orthotics out except for only long distance running. I also discovered barefoot running somewhere around here and that I think did even more to heal and prevent injury than the PT exercises.

I fully transitioned to a mid foot strike running form with zero drop shoes and I have only ever had arch pain if I've gone a suuuper long distance or worn ill fitting shoes. I only have orthotics in my boots, and only really for rucking.

Correct your feet, sit up and stand straight, stretch, do stability and support muscle exercises, get well fitting shoes and replace them when they need it, and minimize inflammation and I bet your pain will be gone.

After your pain goes away, look into barefoot style running, but make sure you do it gradually (25% of your usual distance and work your way up, it doesn't take long to adjust) and make sure you do it properly (mid foot, not heel first <http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/education/barefoot_running_technique.htm>)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast