Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How fat will everyone get? page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have seen a lot who are in denial of how big they really are. They say their not fat, they're big boned. And their friends deny it so they won't hurt their feelings, and say "she's not fat, she's beautiful". I've seen it many times.
    Oh yeah, I see this a lot, haha, I lived it. I actually damn near had a breakdown this weekend as I was walking thru the plus size department, saw some size 18 pants and was like "holy hell" and then realized I used to wear pants like that and tell myself I was OK. And my friends agreed. All the sudden this wall of shame hit me about who I used to be. I didn't see how out of scale to a healthy body I was.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The correct information is out there. It is summed up by most realistic movements. The message is: "Do not eat processed crap". The rest is a personal choice and experimentation.
    While that's true, there is the impact of failure. If eating whole grains and low fat, with no processed foods, makes me miserable and doesn't do a thing for my weight what should I do? Keep up with it or fall of the bandwagon and eat ice cream and cake? I know what choice I made in the past.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Oh yeah, I see this a lot, haha, I lived it. I actually damn near had a breakdown this weekend as I was walking thru the plus size department, saw some size 18 pants and was like "holy hell" and then realized I used to wear pants like that and tell myself I was OK. And my friends agreed. All the sudden this wall of shame hit me about who I used to be. I didn't see how out of scale to a healthy body I was.
    Come to think of it, I've been through it too.

Back in my powerlifting days, my friends and competing gave me so much confidence. I was used to being around guys who were bigger than me so I didn't know the difference. I thought I was only a little bit chubby and that it was genetics. I had confidence in myself. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get/keep a good date though.

That was until a REAL good friend of mine told me the truth with tough love, that I was disgustingly fat, and he wouldn't let up about it. I hated it, but thanked him years later after losing the weight and changing my life around. I never really noticed how fat I was until later on looking back at old pictures.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Then years later when I competed in powerlifting, my friends praised my big belly. When I was 220 lbs, and fat, my coach wanted me to get up to 240 lbs ASAP, and my other friend wanted me to get up to 275 lbs. Both were fat, one 275 lbs and having trouble moving around, the other 300 lbs. I had trouble just to walk down the street at 220 lbs. My friends thought hitting big numbers was more important than your health. And the truth is, the best lifters under 220 lbs were benching in the 600's while the best lifters in the 275 lb class were benching over 700.
    Power lifter slobs, dirty bulking bodybuilders, and Sumo fatties; they are all trying to gain an advantage for their sport by eating enormous amounts of foods! Hmmm, to be honest, I have done my fair share in contributing in destroying buffets and participating in eating orgies myself, when I struggled to gain weight for sport long time ago…

The correct information is out there. It is summed up by most realistic movements. The message is: "Do not eat processed crap". The rest is a personal choice and experimentation.
    I agree with that more than anything when compared to the this diet vs that diet mentality. All the good ones have the same thing in common, less processed crap.

However, I also have to add how much IF has helped me and I'm sure many others. Not only do we eat less processed junk, but now we can also eat less often which results in eating less total food on average, and that helps A LOT. Put both together and you've got a flexible and easy to follow fail proof plan.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    While that's true, there is the impact of failure. If eating whole grains and low fat, with no processed foods, makes me miserable and doesn't do a thing for my weight what should I do?
    No one particular approach beyond the basic of not eating processed food (which includes commercial pasta and bread, btw, the main culprits in people not losing on LF/HC imo) and eating beyond satiety, has universal success rate.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

So I take it the consensus is that people are actually starting to realize that how disgustingly fat they are, more realistic and practicable information is available for them these days, and so more often they are starting to do something about it. Hmm, I'd say that's a good thing.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Put both together and you've got a flexible and easy to follow fail proof plan.
    Neither fail-proof, nor universal. Blood sugar regulation, hormonal levels and eating psychology makes smaller more frequent meals beneficial for at least as many people as the IF-Success group.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neither fail-proof, nor universal. Blood sugar regulation, hormonal levels and eating psychology makes smaller more frequent meals beneficial for at least as many people as the IF-Success group.
    Once you read up enough about the topic of IF, you then know enough to know that meal frequency only matters from a personal strategic perspective. In other words, it gives you freedom to choose which one you like better and why.

With that being said, I can't think of any situation where 6 meals per day including eating when you aren't hungry would be more beneficial for fat loss than less meals per day. I can remember years ago believing in that theory and eating at 5:30 AM when I wasn't even awake or hungry yet and when I had a LONG day ahead of me. Not a good strategy.

I actually do have a friend who does better with more meals per day because he is thin, has a small stomach, doesn't like to eat, fills up quick, and has trouble eating enough to maintain weight. He fasts sometimes out of laziness. But more meals on most days of the week helps him make up for it.

Anyways, close enough to fail proof for me. I went from being obese, lost 30 lbs and got back down to healthy weight, and kept it off for years and going.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Interesting observation. You're onto something... if London is anything to go by. Here the vast majority of women are between 17-19% bf, or else are overweight. Women like me (20-22%) are more rare; even though you'd think this is the easier weight range to maintain.

Race is a big factor, from what I've observed.
    I see this in New York as well, specifically Manhattan. I'd say most women, are between 17% - 21% or over weight. You don't see a ton of size 8 women.

I'm not sure how much of it is that race is a factor as poverty is the main factor. In general, there tend to be more non whites living in poverty or near poverty. Poor = live in food deserts, can only buy what is cheap (packed processed crap), no time/education/resources to cook healthy meals, less time for exercise and less access to safe spaces to be active in, etc.
    Last edited by ELizabeth826; 11-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast