Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How fat will everyone get? page 2

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Sure, people who truly care about their health and are determined to find a way to be healthy, will succeed, but such is getting harder and harder these days with all the junk food being sold and all the misinformation that's put out there. People don't even know what real food is anymore. And it's only going to get worse.
    I disagree with this statement. I think its much easier to be healthy these days. Grocery stores sell organic fruits & vegetables and grass-fed red meat (even some Walmarts do) and a plethora of healthy foods such as coconut products (which werent available to the masses just a few years ago). We have people like Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, Jason Seib, Sarah Fragoso, Jimmy Moore, etc. doing their best to educate as many people as possible about being healthy with books / websites / seminars / podcasts. There are gyms everywhere. Craigslist is full of cheap weight equipment. Minimalist shoes are available. There are a ton of health-related documentaries out there. We have farmers mimicking the sustainable and soil-producing practices of Joel Salatin.

15-20 years ago none of these things were available. Sure, it may be difficult to start the process of becoming healthy but once a person goes down that path a world of options opens up, and its always growing.

Sorry, I just had to point that out. As far as how fat people will get I agree with what others are saying. Here in the middle of the US where I live most people are huge. I know very few people who are even trying to slim down and/or become healthier. Most wont even entertain the idea. Overweight/obesity is the norm in this part of the country for sure. Im trying not to judge, because I was obese too before I took charge of my health.
    You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have. - Ron Swanson

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    So child obesity growth is stalling and even receding in a few cities that have made it a priority (Philadelphia being one). In the current crop, about 2/3 have a metabolic disorder by age 15, which is going to result in crushing health care costs over the next 50 years. The destructiveness of this cohort to the economy will make it impossible to continue with the ridiculous, "Well, if people would just not breath, they could control their environmental exposures" debate and public health policy will continue to step up.

So I would say we've seen the max in terms of childhood- we will be seeing a rise in adult as this cohort moves through though.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Do you REALLY think that? Think again.
    Mother's bid to become the fattest human ever at 115 stone... (and she's marrying a chef to help her) | Mail Online
    Here's a quote from the page:
    "Amazingly Parker is supporting Susanne in her controversial goal of becoming the world's heaviest."

Even on this website we have people who's goal is to get fat. I've seen people talking about wanting to bulk up even when they're already heavy and do GOMAD (drink a gallon of milk a day). Perhaps that in of itself isn't exactly a goal to specifically get fat, it's actually the desire to gain muscle. But IMHO it surely comes from twisted thinking. When your goal of building muscle gets in the way of what is good for you or even realistic, it only shows a lack of understanding of the human body. And to anyone who doesn't believe me on this one: I'll just comment on the fact that in the world of competitive powerlifting, I have known PLENTY of light weight guys who are lean, strong, muscular, can lift WAY more than what you'd ever dream of in your life, and they accomplished it without the requirement of turning themselves into fat slobs.

What about sumo wrestlers?
    drinks.
    I think the desire to get obese/morbidly obese is very rare and limited to sumo wrestlers, a few men, and the odd woman. Far, FAR more people want to get thin, but do not want to do the work. People spend a lot on weightloss.

Every woman I know that is even slightly overweight wants to lose weight. I have never met one who wanted to gain more. What I do see are more people who just accept their weight and don't take action to lose it, but they are not eating hohos in hopes of someday getting from 200lbs up to 300 lbs.

For men, it may be different but I know very few misguided power lifters getting fat in the pursuit of strength. OK, none. I only know one male powerlifter and he has great abs and does not seem interested in undoing them.

I think as a society, we are very slowly accommodating the obese, but we really are not celebrating it. I don't think little girls are looking at Adele and dreaming of being fat just like her. Celebs/models/images of "successful" women still tend to be slim/healthy. I don't think people are happy to be getting fatter, they are just choosing to ignore it,

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Got me. All I really want is for the government, doctors and various health authorities to give out the correct information about wheat and saturated fat rather than the usual conventional wisdom crap. Then people will at least have the correct information! The Catalyst program on saturated fat and statins, as well as the proliferation of paleo cookbooks, makes me hopeful that it might be coming. Plenty of people will ignore the new advice, of course, but that's their prerogative. I just want the correct information to be out there.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The correct information is out there. It is summed up by most realistic movements. The message is: "Do not eat processed crap". The rest is a personal choice and experimentation.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I disagree with this statement. I think it’s much easier to be healthy these days. Grocery stores sell organic fruits & vegetables and grass-fed red meat (even some Walmarts do) and a plethora of healthy foods such as coconut products (which weren’t available to the masses just a few years ago). We have people like Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, Jason Seib, Sarah Fragoso, Jimmy Moore, etc. doing their best to educate as many people as possible about being healthy with books / websites / seminars / podcasts. There are gyms everywhere. Craigslist is full of cheap weight equipment. Minimalist shoes are available. There are a ton of health-related documentaries out there. We have farmers mimicking the sustainable and soil-producing practices of Joel Salatin.

15-20 years ago none of these things were available. Sure, it may be difficult to start the process of becoming healthy but once a person goes down that path a world of options opens up, and it’s always growing.

Sorry, I just had to point that out. As far as how fat people will get I agree with what others are saying. Here in the middle of the US where I live most people are huge. I know very few people who are even trying to slim down and/or become healthier. Most won’t even entertain the idea. Overweight/obesity is the norm in this part of the country for sure. I’m trying not to judge, because I was obese too before I took charge of my health.
    I think you are right. Perhaps I'm still living in the past. The first time I ever tried dieting was around 8 years ago. There wasn't much out there back then, just the low carb diet craze. And such wasn't even good back then when they're marketing it as you can eat UNLIMITED amounts of fat, but carbs are the devil. It left me confused, and it really did take me years to work through the maze. Without learning about IF in later years, I probably would have still been lost in the dark.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The correct information is out there. It is summed up by most realistic movements. The message is: "Do not eat processed crap". The rest is a personal choice and experimentation.
    I agree. So many people do not want to make the effort. I realize there is some confusion, but for most people, if they just followed whole foods, even with whole grains on the menu, they'd be OK.

Look at how much soda still gets consumed. You'd have to live under a rock to think drinking soda and giving it to your kids is OK. Or fast food. Why does my local grocer have a whole aisle of chips? I think people are aware of (excess) sugar being bad, even if they haven't gotten the message on grains.

I know plenty of people who eat and understand paleo and still eat crap foods. They have the info, and still eat junk.

The bottom line is that if you have gained excess fat, losing it is very difficult. It is much easier to say "OK, I'm healthy fat" than to make the lifestyle changes most would have to make to lose it. Our whole structure of society is set up to enable obesity. Eating bad foods is nearly engineered into our lives. People go to the bar to be social and eat and drink crap. Holidays are 90% about eating crappy food. Crappy food is how we bond at work. Everyone is aware of the impact- my FB for the past week has been filled with friends loathing themselves for eating their kid's bucket of candy.

It's just so available and more or less, never feels very optional. When you stack up the chaos that is a lot of people's lives with work/commute/kids stuff, the foundation of healthy living- diet and exercise just gets chipped away at. And if you do take the time to be healthy, a lot of people view it as self centered.

I recently read an article in my local paper about a guy who failed to complete P90X. In the end, he thought it was making him a worse son, employee, boyfriend to go devote about an hour a day to exercise (among other things). Priorities in the US have simply really skewed away from having a healthy lifestyle into god know what.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    If conventional wisdom comes to view refined sugar and flour they way that it currently views saturated fat, then we might reverse the trend and get thinner. Otherwise, its likely that people will continue to get fatter, and I along with the other thin people will be banished to the North Pole to prance naked as per previous comment :-). In my mind I'd be living on seal liver and herring, which would be totally fine by me....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The other thing I think will happen is a shrinking of the "middle weight" so to speak. I think you will have more super fit/healthy people and WAY more fat people, and fewer middle sized people. If I was a retailer of women's clothing, I'd anticipate selling more 0/2/4/6 and more 14/16/18/20 and fewer 8/10/12 sizes. It's kind of like wealth, where the middle class erodes. While, yes more and more people eat full on crap, you also have all the very health aware people involved in fitness, yoga, Whole Foods etc.
    Interesting observation. You're onto something... if London is anything to go by. Here the vast majority of women are between 17-19% bf, or else are overweight. Women like me (20-22%) are more rare; even though you'd think this is the easier weight range to maintain.

Race is a big factor, from what I've observed.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think the desire to get obese/morbidly obese is very rare and limited to sumo wrestlers, a few men, and the odd woman. Far, FAR more people want to get thin, but do not want to do the work. People spend a lot on weightloss.

Every woman I know that is even slightly overweight wants to lose weight. I have never met one who wanted to gain more. What I do see are more people who just accept their weight and don't take action to lose it, but they are not eating hohos in hopes of someday getting from 200lbs up to 300 lbs.

For men, it may be different but I know very few misguided power lifters getting fat in the pursuit of strength. OK, none. I only know one male powerlifter and he has great abs and does not seem interested in undoing them.

I think as a society, we are very slowly accommodating the obese, but we really are not celebrating it. I don't think little girls are looking at Adele and dreaming of being fat just like her. Celebs/models/images of "successful" women still tend to be slim/healthy. I don't think people are happy to be getting fatter, they are just choosing to ignore it,
    What this shows to me is a difference in perspective based on who you know and what you've been exposed to. In other words, my experience compared to yours. Surely I've never known any women who actually wanted to get bigger, but I have seen a lot who are in denial of how big they really are. They say their not fat, they're big boned. And their friends deny it so they won't hurt their feelings, and say "she's not fat, she's beautiful". I've seen it many times.

In the weightlifting world, it's been a different story for me. But realize I started lifting 20 years ago when all we had to look at for motivation in the gym was bodybuilding magazines. Bigger was thought to be better. I can remember thinking that a lot of the guys didn't take steroids. I can remember thinking that some day I'd be as big as Franco Columbu and that I'd get there without taking drugs. Sure, I pushed hard to get my weight past 170 lbs, but little did I know that such was a perfect weight for me and that any extra weight I'd put on would be fat no matter how much I trained.

Then years later when I competed in powerlifting, my friends praised my big belly. When I was 220 lbs, and fat, my coach wanted me to get up to 240 lbs ASAP, and my other friend wanted me to get up to 275 lbs. Both were fat, one 275 lbs and having trouble moving around, the other 300 lbs. I had trouble just to walk down the street at 220 lbs. My friends thought hitting big numbers was more important than your health. And the truth is, the best lifters under 220 lbs were benching in the 600's while the best lifters in the 275 lb class were benching over 700.

Anyways, I'm just saying, different experiences for different people. It wasn't everyone who was or even wanted to be that big. We did have some strong light weight lifters. Personally, my health was most important to me, so I got out of it. I'm lighter now, more healthy, etc.. And ever since I got my weight under 185 lbs, I've felt like a kid again. I intend on keeping it that way for life.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast