Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 180

Thread: How fat will everyone get? page 11

  1. #101
    Sweet Leilani's Avatar
    Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    183
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    I don't know where you've gotten filipino food or if it was even real filipino food, but they actually have a reputation for having the worst food in south east Aisia.
    Yes i know it has that reputation, but what the hell do i care, i love it. They put a lot of coconut vinegar in their cooking and it rocks! And I prefer it because it is more simple food similar to what i grew up with in the islands.
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

  2. #102
    Sweet Leilani's Avatar
    Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The obesity problem is so much more complex than what I'm seeing on this thread....
    I like this quote from Peter Attia:

    " Obesity is a growth disorder, just like any other, and fat accumulation is determined not by the balance of calories consumed and expended but by the effect of specific nutrients on the hormonal regulation of fat metabolism."
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

  3. #103
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The obesity problem is so much more complex than what I'm seeing on this thread.... "people are obese because they eat too much crap food". Well yeah, that's true but there is a lot more to it. For starters you have corporations that produce food that has no nutritional value (subsidized by the government) and some of the most clever minds relentlessly marketing those products to the public (especially children), a public that has no back ground in nutrition and no idea how to prepare whole foods. A public that is over over worked and under paid with no time to prepare foods from scratch. A public that has no time to devote to exercise. A public that is exhausted, alienated and depressed and told that the remedy is treats. Not to mention CW promoting the food pyramid and low fat foods. A public that is so stressed out that they are desperate for some form of escape from their mundane and lonely lives.

    To understand the obesity epidemic we really need to look at the big picture and stop taking the simple solution: cake vs apple. Everyone put on your thinking caps and look around you; their are very powerful forces aligned to crate the obesity epidemic.
    You are absolutely right.
    Let's talk about commercialism, beliefs in society, etc.. It really is hard to escape. Many people don't even get a chance at a young age. Recovery is possible if one eventually takes the time to educate themselves on the subject matter enough to make a plan that works. However, the problem with "education" on the subject matter is that there's so much brainwashing in society that people are left not knowing what to do.

    I don't see the problem as a whole as something that can be solved, at least not easily, not in a society where industry controls what will be put on the shelves of markets as well as what one should and shouldn't eat.

    On an individual basis however, it can be done. Personally it wasn't easy for me. But it can be done.

    It's funny you mention how it isn't as simple as eating an apple instead of the cake. But let me explain my experience. Good foods vs bad foods gave me a good start, but it only took me so far. Learning about IF took me all the way. But what does learning about IF really mean? As I see it, it's reverse brainwashing. In other words, by learning about IF, you're unlearning a life time of brainwashing that had you eating more for a number of reasons.

    Why did I eat more?
    1. My grandmother said not to waste food. (Isn't it already going to waste if it's only adding extra fat that you don't need? Why not just get a smaller plate instead?)
    2. I need a meal so I can have energy for. . . (Crap!!! If you have fat on your belly you don't need to eat, because you already have energy.)
    3. I feel hungry. (Again, crap!!! That's not real hunger.)
    4. I didn't want to lose muscle. (More mainstream brainwashing.)
    5. I didn't want my metabolism to slow down. (Duh!)
    6. You HAVE to eat 3 meals per day. (More mainstream brainwashing.)
    7. I LOVE to eat!!! (Good reason. But, food is more enjoyable when you eat less often.)
    N. Etc., etc., etc...

    So if you get what I'm saying, on a macroscopic scale (society as a whole), it really is more complicated than that, as you say. Because nobody is going to stop stocking the shelves with cookies and cake, etc., because it makes too much money.

    But on an individual basis (singular person), while it is hard, it still can be done with desire. For me, I've read A LOT of articles and books on diet. And after all my research and experience, I can honestly say that "eat less" was the answer. Eat the apple over the cake, or just don't eat at all until later.

    And I had to go back and admit that to my best friend who was always skinny and was telling me this for years. I literally spent years and years sorting through dietary literature in order to finally figure out the solution that would actually work for me. And I felt dumb to admit that. And my best friend said, "you mean you spent all these years of research just to finally figure out that I was right?"
    And I answered "yes".

    This is why if anyone ever asks me for diet advice I always tell them that the best diet advice I could ever give them is never take diet advice from an American. Most of the diet books out there are garbage. If the advice actually worked as well as they promised, we wouldn't have as many fat people. But we do.

  4. #104
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Yes i know it has that reputation, but what the hell do i care, i love it. They put a lot of coconut vinegar in their cooking and it rocks! And I prefer it because it is more simple food similar to what i grew up with in the islands.
    That's why I like it too. It did take me a while to get used to though.

    A Canadian girl told me she was sick of rice after a month of living her. I eat it every day and can't get enough of it. However, I'm considering trying to start eating more fruit.

  5. #105
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743

    How fat will everyone get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Try doing some research first, then make your own conclusions later. Try taking some of the cheapest meals you can find, plugging them into fitday.com, even on a supposed calorie deficit, and then come back and tell me what you find. And please don't comment at all until you've done so. I've done it, and the vitamin and mineral content was more than double for the meals per day even with a very simp.e meal plan with little variety.
    Have you actually lived in the inner city slums? The only food available to buy is processed crap. I can't even find a banana that isn't rotten sometimes. Add on the fact that people don't have a car and can't afford the $5+ round trip public transportation (assuming there is one) to the grocery store at least weekly, and you have a problem.

    The "cheapest food" for middle class neighborhood grocery store might be a potato and some bananas, but some of these stores have extremely rotten produce. Preparation tools (pots, pans, spices, oils, fats) are expensive to accumulate at the beginning. Storage space is limited. Large fridge/freezer might not be an option. Etc.

    So packaged chips, cake, and hamburger helper it is.

    This is why I think all of the "week long challenges" for food bloggers to have a small budget for food in order to mimic poor people is ridiculous. Pure ego stroking that they are better than those poor folks. Meanwhile they complete the $25 a week challenge by shopping at Costco (cost to get membership, not available as an option to poorer neighborhoods), using their fancy $$& cookware and fancy $$$ spices, spend 3 hrs in the kitchen a day (most poorer ppl are working long hours and can't do the same), and pat themselves on the back at the end of the week (not like someone with no end in sight).







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  6. #106
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,236
    nooooo turquoise stop with your real life experience, we're soap boxing in here
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  7. #107
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,695
    Try taking some of the cheapest meals you can find, plugging them into fitday.com, even on a supposed calorie deficit, and then come back and tell me what you find.
    Ramen noodles and year-old snickers, even?


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  8. #108
    The_Introvert_Huntress's Avatar
    The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    [...]Meanwhile they complete the $25 a week challenge by shopping at Costco (cost to get membership, not available as an option to poorer neighborhoods), using their fancy $$& cookware and fancy $$$ spices, spend 3 hrs in the kitchen a day (most poorer ppl are working long hours and can't do the same), and pat themselves on the back at the end of the week (not like someone with no end in sight).
    Exactly. You need at least two pans to make a meal - unless you know to make "one-pan meals" that is - and pans can be expensive. If you want to make soup (something which you can eat at least a few days, if not longer), you need a pot. If you want to make a lot of soup, you need a BIG pot. Not to mention the meat, offal, veggies etc. you need to make good, nourishing soup. $$$
    Besides, I bet that if you work long hours and don't earn much, you try to save at least a bit of money each month, so eventually you might be able to quit your job, or pay for education, and get a better job.

    Eating at McD's doesn't require you to buy pots and pans. You can save more money, and if you're lucky, you can get more educated (with a diploma or a certificate) or get a better job. Or at least a job that earns you more. But it will take many years, and buying cooking equipment will just lengthen that time.

    Not that I'm poor, though. It's just what I imagine their reasons could be.
    "Bread-Bread-Dinner
    It ain't makin' me any thinner
    I eat a sandwich for break-fast
    And then I have a sugar blast!
    I eat toasted bread for lunch
    And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
    At dinner I eat pasta
    And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

    From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

  9. #109
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,964
    I think there are definitely complexities and food deserts are a huge issue in some areas. And yes, some people do have issues that are not about eating too much. But...are they even the majority?

    I live in an area with a heavy % of residents on public assistance. I go to the grocery and probably 60% are using assistance- we have a WalMart and a Food Lion, easy walk, which is great. They are not buying veggies/meats/rice/beans. They are buying mainly packaged foods, a lot of frozen/boxed sweets etc. Our stores do have good produce, not the greatest Whole foods offerings, but good, fresh. I'd say the average cart of a food stamp user in my area is full of cheap frozen pizzas for the most part, and you almost never see anything fresh. At all. We do have a fairly large latino population, and even those families for the most part are buying junk, despite a lot of things like corn tortillas/beans/peppers etc . available. The average person pushing the cart is obese.

    If I go up a rung on the ladder and hit the wealthy store, more produce hits the cart, but so does a ton of soda and the expensive version of prepared foods. They buy their kids lunchables and sugar cereal. The ChicFila looks like a mob scene on any day, but Sunday. Somehow fast food is supported on every corner.

    It's really hard to believe that more than a small percentage of obesity is caused by either food access or malfunctioning hormones. The reality is, you can't feed your kid chicken nuggets, soda, frozen pizza and Little Debbies and hope they don't get fat. I'd like to think people KNOW this at this point. But yet those foods get purchased en masse. I assume it doesn't get thrown out while they eat their stash of whole grains and kale.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  10. #110
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,837
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Yes health IS a personal responsibility, I agree totally.
    I disagree with this statement.

    People in the USA are the way they are because the aggregate food supply is what it is. Individuals (those of us on this site) may specifically choose only certain foods in that food supply, but the population will always eat the aggregate food supply. That's the way reality works.

    …and the food supply became the way it is from government intervention, not demand from the people.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •