Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding the squat wave page

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member

Riding the squat wave

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Quick bit of background:26/m/170. I've considered myself an intermediate lifter at my current strength levels and wanted to get into the advanced category for body weight.

So a few months ago I set 3-6-12 month goals for myself. My 3 month goal was to increase my squat from 285 to 325. To do this I've added some squat volume and done a few different lifts that I feel have been invaluable. By no means am I claiming to have reinvented the wheel but here has been my current squat plan:

Monday - Pause squats, 3 seconds in the hole, 3 reps for 5 sets, started at 70% of 1rm. Been doing a linear progression with this bad boy.

Mid week: Some for of max height box jump. Wendler deadlift.

Late week: Wendler squat session with BBB front squats (5x10). My last 5+ set was at 260 and I was able to rep it out for 10, crushed my old 10rm (of 235). I'm on target to max out again next Friday where I'm going to do my damnedest to hit 325.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my plan, hear any input from you all, and get some motivation for my up coming max out. When (if) I hit 325, my next goal is to go after that 4 plated bastard, 405.

Thanks for reading, Jim

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    A: What is your bodyweight
    B: When are you doing your other lifts, like the presses? Are you feeling recovered enough from the paused squats Monday to deadlift heavy Wednesday?
    The Champagne of Beards

170lb bodyweight. Generally I'll be ok for deads after pause squats. However, If I'm feeling extra burned out pause squats are the first thing to go. Also, I'll usually go 2 wendler cycles before a deload week.

I do my benching with squats
    Last edited by JimmyDamage; 11-05-2013 at 09:55 AM.

ColdCorner is offline Junior Member
    Numbers look impressive even right now! Keep up the good work. I wish I was near that number. I started training consistently about a month ago after taking a hiatus for QUITE a while.

Started doing reverse pyramid training, deadlifts and chins on Mondays, Bench and push-ups on Wednesdays and Squats and Presses on Fridays. Been doing a 6,8,10 rep scheme and increasing 5lbs. each week if those numbers are hit. Squatted 175 as my top load last week for 6 and I was ecstatic, haha! Progress comes slow, but the rewards are awesome.

Keep it up, and I'm sure you'll hit 4 plates

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDamage View Post
    170lb bodyweight. Generally I'll be ok for deads after pause squats. However, If I'm feeling extra burned out pause squats are the first thing to go. Also, I'll usually go 2 wendler cycles before a deload week.

I do my benching with squats
    Gotcha. No standing presses at all? I have just started a similar program. I do this:

Mondays:
    5/3/1 Squats
    5/3/1 Bench
    Power Cleans (5 sets of 3, LP)

Thursdays:
    5/3/1 Deadlift
    5/3/1 Press
    "Light" squats (gonna be 2-3 sets of 5 ~ 70% training max) for now.

If the pause squats work really well for you, I might switch to those on Thursday. Keep us posted.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gotcha. No standing presses at all? I have just started a similar program. I do this:

Mondays:
    5/3/1 Squats
    5/3/1 Bench
    Power Cleans (5 sets of 3, LP)

Thursdays:
    5/3/1 Deadlift
    5/3/1 Press
    "Light" squats (gonna be 2-3 sets of 5 ~ 70% training max) for now.

If the pause squats work really well for you, I might switch to those on Thursday. Keep us posted.
    Rich,

I don't currently press other then on my Olympic lifting day when I hit C+J hard. Your program looks solid and I might have just convinced myself to add strict press to my deadlift day. Super setting some high box jumps with BBB sets of press seems pretty tasty.

It's only been a couple months but I really can't say enough about the strength gains from pause squats. Since you are already doing a lighter squat day it won't have to change your programming. I've felt much more explosive when coming out of a normal back squat and have been able to hit more reps/weight consistently.

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDamage View Post
    Rich,

I don't currently press other then on my Olympic lifting day when I hit C+J hard. Your program looks solid and I might have just convinced myself to add strict press to my deadlift day. Super setting some high box jumps with BBB sets of press seems pretty tasty.

It's only been a couple months but I really can't say enough about the strength gains from pause squats. Since you are already doing a lighter squat day it won't have to change your programming. I've felt much more explosive when coming out of a normal back squat and have been able to hit more reps/weight consistently.
    Yup, pause squats use the 'Time under Tension' technique to increase strength. Definitely, include overhead presses on DL days, seems to work on balancing out workout and works many of the same muscles (as dreads), at different angles.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Rookie question for Rich. When you say 5/3/1, what are you describing? I am reading it as a set of 5, a set of 3 and a set of 1. Is that correct?

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    Rookie question for Rich. When you say 5/3/1, what are you describing? I am reading it as a set of 5, a set of 3 and a set of 1. Is that correct?
    5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength: Jim Wendler: 9780557248292: Amazon.com: Books

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    5's one week, 3's one week, a 5 and a 3 and a 1 one week, all at prescribed percentages of your 1RM. With extra reps on the final sets if you dare. See Quikky's link above for further details.
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast