Thread: Feeding a teen Primal, on a shared custody page

QcGal is offline Junior Member

Feeding a teen Primal, on a shared custody

Primal Fuel
    I am a mother with a shared custody of a wonderful teenage girl. She loves eating Primal when she is with me, she enjoys every meals I make and she asks a lot of questions about nutrition. She did see for herself how it helped me lose weight and all the other benefits I get from that way of eating.

I am cautious with my explanations as to why I dont eat bread or cereals anymore, I dont want to scare her. Teens have a way of exaggerating and amplifying... the last thing I want is to trigger an eating disorder: I caught her at age 8 counting calories...

Now my biggest concern is, when she is at her father, she does eat grains and all the other things I do not eat anymore: bad cooking fats, lots of pastas (she loves her spaghetti) sandwiches and a lot of breakfast cereals.

I don't want to tell the other parent how to feed her (and he wont tell me either). Thats why I give my daughter all the explanations I can and hope that she decides for herself when it's time for her to be more primal with her food and the rest of her life.

In the meantime, are we hurting her more than helping her? I mean, she exercises with me, but does nothing at her father's, she does eat (good) fat with me, and sugar with her father. Is this unstable diet going to be a problem? I hope not... but I am not sure.

What do you think?

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it.

If she's not gluten sensitive then she may not have a problem eating wheat based products.

And she at least knows what your idea of healthy (real) food is, and how to cook it, right?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Why are you afraid to tell her the truth? We evolved eating real food, not overly processed grain.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Seems to me eating great half of the time is better than none of the time. And as mentioned, having some pasta isnt likely a big deal. Tons of cookies or sugary foods are a different story. We all choose to come to a "primal" site because we believe the general idea that natural food is better than processed food but I think we sometimes also over do it on the grain thing. I feel better keeping grains to a minimum but I dont think a little pasta or rice in a diet is a major issue.

It is great you are exposing her to a nutritional perspective and once she is at a point to make her own food choices, she will have that knowledge.

Histerika is offline Junior Member
    My teen son goes through the same cycles, and he IS gluten-intolerant! He eats grainy crap for every meal, with no fresh fruit or veg excepting the rare banana. With me he eats meat, veg, fat, fruit, milk, cheese...good stuff.

He'll be 14 in January, and he asks a lot of questions about food and cooking, so we cook together, and I tell him the honest truth about foods. He still chooses to eat pasta, despite the...odorous...side-effects, but he knows what causes it, and he's starting to understand that this is going to be a lifelong issue for him.

I have to trust that he will make the right decisions for himself if I give him all of the information.