Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stop counting start living page

gergirl Guest

stop counting start living

Primal Fuel
    Question: Do you count calories? Does it matter where they come from? eat more to weigh less, avoiding starvation?
    Eating what you feel like vs eating what is "healthy" - Does counting calories end in binging every little once in a while?
    What's your experience?Opinion?

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I use a calorie counter. I work from home so it's easy for me. I'm primal, so of course it matters where they come from... no wheat here! It's interesting to see how my calorie intake varies. Once in a rare while I'll have a 1,000 calorie day, but that's usually when I'm feeling sick or something. A fasting day is often 1,400 to 1,500. A normal day is closer to 1,900 and once in a while I spike up to 2,000 to 2,500, usually when I'm on a sausage binge. XD Those things are high calorie. I don't sweat it though. It's just a tool to keep me on track.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I've never been able to maintain a stable weight without counting, nor has any loser I know well enough IRL (in real life) to know their methods.

In the National Weight Control Registry the one thing most highly correlated with successfully keeping weight off (at 5 years, something less than 1% of 65+ pound losers and less than 5% of under 65 pound losers manage to do) is tracking food in some manner or other.

Everyone I know IRL that is a successful maintainer tracks through one way or another. By which I mean, if not calories, written from a selection list, or just "write before bite" as a practice.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    The flip side of that is someone like me, who doesn't track a single thing (besides how heavy my weightlifting is). I have some sort of idea about how much protein and stuff I get, but I don't track crap. If I'm hungry I eat. If I'm trying to make progress on lifts or add muscle I eat more. If I want to have ripped abs I eat a little less.

Sent via Starscream

gergirl Guest
    Hmmm...
    I increasingly feel tired of tracking. Feels apart from nature, you know?!
    If I look through my food diary, I see that I always eat around a certain amount of calories during a week, some days more some less. Did I already find the right balance?My weight didn't really change during the last years. I step on the scale regularly - maybe that's enough of control?! Letting things go and see what happens?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find that for maintenance scale check daily is enough. For weight loss, the caloric deficit required is contrary to human nature, so tracking is important in either daily form, or by eating toughly the same thing that you know is below your maintenance limit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I have never counted calories, I would not know how to begin. I cook using fresh produce, and all quantities are by eye.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    The flip side of that is someone like me, who doesn't track a single thing (besides how heavy my weightlifting is). I have some sort of idea about how much protein and stuff I get, but I don't track crap. If I'm hungry I eat. If I'm trying to make progress on lifts or add muscle I eat more. If I want to have ripped abs I eat a little less.

Sent via Starscream
    that's how I do it
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I know my macros well enough to have a general guess at my protein intake, so I'll adjust a day's food to get more protein if I need to. And I know if I want to get bigger, I eat whenever I'm not absolutely full, and if I want to get littler, I don't eat until I really want to. Same as Mr. A and NOTR. I never have to enter anything into a log or a calculator. I'd hate that with a passion.
    The Champagne of Beards

gergirl Guest
    so maybe counting is the female version of higher mathematics? damn, can I switch sex?
    Has it always been like that, your trust in your tummy?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast