Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: stop counting start living page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    so maybe counting is the female version of higher mathematics? damn, can I switch sex?
    Has it always been like that, your trust in your tummy?
    I've never been a calorie-counter, but not counting on a junky diet used to make me skinny-fat, and now not counting primal makes me relatively lean and muscular.
    The Champagne of Beards

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Daily tracking might be a useful temporary education but looking through time and space, lean people are mostly ignorant of calories. It's the obese cultures that have guidelines, labels, and apps.

I value basic literacy about high/medium/low energy foods, especially for folks learning how to shop and cook for the first time. Fresh produce is safe to eyeball (wholes, halves, quarters) but non-hydrous fats, sugars, seeds, and powders are better done with a teaspoon or tablespoon.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    The last time I counted calories I was 17 years old and dealthy afraid of becoming fat, despite the fact I've never been close to over-weight a day in my life. It made me neurotic and I've not done it for over 20 years. I eat real food, listen to my body, and indulge when I truly feel like it. Learn to listen to your body.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    My diet is pretty much like Rich's and Mr. A's, except I eat regular meals, not just when hungry. I basically eat primal, and keep an eye on how much protein I am getting. If I want to gain weight, I eat more, if I want to lose weight, I eat less. I also try to increase carbs on workout days. That's about as complex as it gets.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My experience with calories:

If I track, I'm terrible at it because I'm terrible at estimating my portion sizes. So even if I do track I do it with the understanding that I'm probably not very close to accurate.

If I track, I tend to feel guilty about the calories even if the number the calorie tracking app is set for is generous or irrelevant to me. And when I start to feel guilty, I start to limit what I eat.

Sometimes I track by simply taking pictures of all my food. I find that taking a picture is better and less frustrating than entering ingredients into a stupid app and makes me limit what I eat just as well as knowing the calories.

In reality I track only once in a while when I'm curious to understand a change I want to make. For example, recently I wanted to learn how to estimate my protein intake so I started tracking to get an idea. Now that I have a better idea of what x number of grams of protein looks like, I don't feel like tracking anymore.

In general, I "track" by how my clothes fit or how I look in the mirror. I truly honestly know if I'm getting fat and don't need calories or a scale to tell me so why bother?

Most of the time I don't see much change in myself and I don't do any kind of tracking. I have come to learn the following:

1. Eating all real primal food and getting proper exercise (lifting, sprinting and a little bit of the mild stuff) actually does normalize your body, your size, your metabolism, your hormones and your health. You have to do all of it and you must give it time.
    2. A normalized body is rather resilient toward over/under eating.
    3. A normalized body may not look like what you think it should look like.
    4. You must choose your diet and exercise not on what you want to look like but on what makes you feel like the healthiest and strongest person you can be.
    5. Feeling great is way better than being skinny.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I don't count and neither does my partner, she only ever dabbled in it for a short while about 15-20 years ago, since then it's simply been a case of try to be healthy and get some exercise, although our perceptions of the definition of health has changed in regards to food and behaviour, we still hold the same attitude.
    Her weight has fluctuated within a range from very cuddly to just cuddly, although there are some aspects of her body that she would like to improve, but not enough to get tangled up in numbers, she is fully aware of behaviours that she can improve, it's just a case of making the decision to do this, which she will when she's ready.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My experience with calories:

If I track, I'm terrible at it because I'm terrible at estimating my portion sizes. So even if I do track I do it with the understanding that I'm probably not very close to accurate.

If I track, I tend to feel guilty about the calories even if the number the calorie tracking app is set for is generous or irrelevant to me. And when I start to feel guilty, I start to limit what I eat.

Sometimes I track by simply taking pictures of all my food. I find that taking a picture is better and less frustrating than entering ingredients into a stupid app and makes me limit what I eat just as well as knowing the calories.

In reality I track only once in a while when I'm curious to understand a change I want to make. For example, recently I wanted to learn how to estimate my protein intake so I started tracking to get an idea. Now that I have a better idea of what x number of grams of protein looks like, I don't feel like tracking anymore.

In general, I "track" by how my clothes fit or how I look in the mirror. I truly honestly know if I'm getting fat and don't need calories or a scale to tell me so why bother?

Most of the time I don't see much change in myself and I don't do any kind of tracking. I have come to learn the following:

1. Eating all real primal food and getting proper exercise (lifting, sprinting and a little bit of the mild stuff) actually does normalize your body, your size, your metabolism, your hormones and your health. You have to do all of it and you must give it time.
    4. You must choose your diet and exercise not on what you want to look like but on what makes you feel like the healthiest and strongest person you can be.
    I absolutely agree! Calorie counting, while may be helpful for some in the short term, can turn into obsession and change our relationship with food away from nourishment and more towards guilt. I've found this very same thing when I tried counting. If you have a good idea of the macros you need, eat a variety of colorful veg and eat mostly whole unprocessed food, you will be healthy... If it means an extra jean size then who cares!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I count. I weigh. Hell, if my legs are in the stirrups, I count the ceiling tiles. It's just the way I am. I count stuff.

I know there are people who don't need to count a thing, and that's cool. My only bitch is that in a community who counts it's freakin' macros to the point where people are neurotic about eating a damn apple, counting calories is considered a lesser behavior.

Now, if I were weighing my food and weighing my ... output, that would be neurotic.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I don't count. I lost the weight I wanted to on primal w/o counting. I tried counting once, I think it was a year ago and it made me kind of crazy and took the fun out of cooking and eating. It was also really annoying to stop when I was ready to plate up a lovely meal and have to weigh or measure the darn thing. No thanks!

I didn't have that much weight to lose and now I am eating to boost my thyroid and immune system so my goals may be different.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Co-sign all of this
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast