Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Karl MacPhee Recovering Soy Addict page 3

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I forgot to mention that I made it through a Saturday without having desert! This is huge for me. In the past I have been very liberal with my 'treats' and because I publicly stated that I will not be consuming deserts this month, I passed on my longest tradition of the Saturday treat.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Thanks NutMeg...

OH Boy! What was I thinking! My mother in law makes apple pies every fall...she makes the best pies! So I just got off the phone with her and she mentioned that she made 20 pies with the apples from her tree...then I slowly told her about my challenge! Also, she makes a killer pumpkin pie, and thanksgiving is just around the corner here in Canada! Oh the humanity! This will be a perfect test...as I type I am salivating!!!

I made it through the sunday dinner without eating the incredibly-tasting-mother-in-law-perfectly-baked-apple-pie. Instead, I ate more of the main meal, and enjoyed a great cup of tea. There was a few comments from my family but they were all in good spirits about it. They were just picking on me about bending the rules and that they wouldn't tell anyone...the problem with that theory is that I would know and that is the type of person I am. MIL said that I am a man of integrity!

Started Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program today for a change. After doing my own programs for years, it is nice to not have to worry about it. I am looking forward to the simple program because I tend to over complicate things. Stay posted and I will keep you up to date on the progress. So far I went from 165 to 180 pounds on the last month's strength program with great strength gains. We will see what happens in the 5 x 5 over the next month.

Also, made it through the whole weekend without desert...doing well!

Legs are a bit tender today after the 215 x 5 back squat. We will see how things go tomorrow for the squat/overhead press/dead lift workout. On another topic, I have been buying 72 eggs a week, and successfully crushing about 90% of them while my wife and kids share the rest. I think I could live on eggs alone like Jimmy Moore did in his eggs/butter and cheese diet.

Lying in bed after a late night, and I am tired. For someone who has a regular sleeping pattern, I am feeling the effects of staying up past my bed time. There was one point where I started to morf into a pumpkin but I managed to get to bed in time.
    On another note, we are down to the last 8 eggs from the 72 that I bought last Saturday. I pretty much had eggs with every breakfast and for a couple meals through the week.
    Lastly, I seem to have injured my itband during hot yoga, and have lots of work cut out to bring it back health.

I read in a magazine today that rice crispies with skim milk will help us sleep...on my way to the store for some boxed goodness...or maybe not.

I am about 3 weeks into my no deserts commitment and doing really well. In the past, I have tried to give up the sweets on weekdays which worked but then I would go nuts from Friday to Sunday night. One time I had 6 large pieces of chocolate zucchini cake and couldn't drive home because I was fried from all the sugar!
    Last night we went out for a games night and were offered some delicious looking pumpkin crumble which I happily neglected, and again tonight for family thanksgiving dinner, there was not one, not two, but three delicious looking treats that my mother in law whipped up. I subbed berries and cream and was completely satisfied with no post dinner sluggishness.

As I have been going through this challenge, I have noticed that it is getting easier and easier to walk away from the sugars. This is a monumental moment for me. I also noticed that even though I am on a mass gain phase and that I am eating an insane amount of food, I still lost about 4 pounds this week...I think this is because I have not had any sugar other outside of veggies and fruit! Goes to show what I have been doing in the past!

So I am thinking that when the 30 days is complete, I will no longer require my deserts. As of now, I am certainly not craving, so we will see.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Hm, I was on a low fat nearly vegetarian diet for a year once...vanity can be deadly as well as helpful, I guess...I now wonder how much damage that may have done to my body? I feel very good on PB, however.

I can't get my wife to do this primal thing either, although I'm hoping that if I can get her to finish Mark's book, she'll want to try it.

Enjoyed your posts and beginning of journal, though, thanks.

Hi Sam, thanks for the feedback. My wife won't even read the books, so when there is ever a disagreement, I have learned to leave it alone...however today after eating a delicious lunch she noticed that I didn't drain out the fat from the ground beef...she asked "me if I drained it", all I said was ...no. Then I continued eating and she didn't say anything. Who knows where that will go but I am curious to see if the new approach is working. In the past we would end up 'arguing', now I just answer the questions about food with the shortest answer possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast