Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Karl MacPhee Recovering Soy Addict page 2

batty is offline Senior Member
    thank you for the reminder about fatty friday! gotta plan gotta plan....

it sucks when the SO won't get on board with you, especially when you are so convinced that this is the best way to go. D is receptive, but still eats CW on his own. all you can really do is do what you can, and not sweat the rest.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I have recently come to the conclusion that much of my eating has been out of habit. Although I absolutely love food, and don't plan to make many wholesale changes to my eating plan, I realized lately with the introduction of more fat/protein and less carbohydrate that I have been eating out of habit for much of my life. Perfect examples were Tuesday, yesterday and today. Tuesday I wasn't hungry upon returning home from work, but ate anyway because it is the thing we do. Yesterday I was not hungry when I got home from work so I decided to postpone the meal until I was feeling hungry...I survived and a couple hours later I enjoyed a small meal then didn't have to eat a bedtime snack. Today, I ate at 7:00am, then nothing but a cup of tea with a bit of coconut milk until 4:00pm because I was not hungry at all until 4:00. It is now 9:15 and I decided to have an apple with some almond butter because I was a tiny bit hungry (4 on the hunger scale). No need to eat but love the taste of the apple/almond butter combination before bed so I indulged.

Not that this bedtime snack is a problem for me, because I don't need to lose any weight, but it is the concept of eating out of habit that results in digestive issues quite often because the body never gets an opportunity to fully empty.

New project...as long as this will fit with family and lifestyle, I will eat when I am hungry. 7+ on the scale. I am thinking that this will have a positive effect on the grocery bill as well!

It has been a looooooong time since my last journal post, although I have been posting fairly regularly on my blog so you can see what has been happening there...

I just finished the third week of another one of my experiments which has me eating like I did (in terms of volume) back in my soldier days. I love eating, I love food, and I especially love the fact that eating this much (about 4500kals/day) has not really caused much for problems. Actually, I don't see any negatives thus far, however I didn't do any lab tests so I suppose there could be some changes behind closed doors. In any case, the mass gain phase is going well and I have been working on eating paleo/primal throughout the 2 month process.

Strength has increased significantly, I am up 10 pounds in the 3 weeks, and I love only training 3 x a week! I have also been doing a 16-18h fast from dinner on Friday to lunch on Saturday and I find that my digestion is fairly good given the volume of food, plus the extra milk that I am consuming.

Reason for this post... my urine has a funny smell and I think I have ventured over into ketosis. I went out and purchased the ketostix so when I have my next potty break I will give it a test.

Still sucking back the vit d and have not been sick in 2 years! I will have to get my levels checked soon to ensure that I don't over do things, but I am fairly sure that an average of 8000/day is perfectly fine for this cold blooded canadian.

Time to eat!!

Turns out it isn't ketosis...or at least that's what the test strip tells me. I may have done it wrong, or I may not be in ketosis. In any case, it really doesn't matter I was just curious. Made the most delicious meal today...salmon with butternut squash and sweet potato soaking in butter! Watch for my blog post on the meal as well as a coconut apple pudding experiment.
    Anyway, I was with 2 of my new clients today and at the end of their training session they were joking about how old they were feeling. They are a few years younger than me.... and I feel like I am still a kid so I guess I am doing things right!

So it's not ketosis but there are times throughout the day that I feel like I am walking around with a bouquet of flowers under my nose! The smell is sweet and pungent at the same time but more sweet than anything. I asked around and apparently i dont stink and others aren't smelling the same thing so I am curious to find out where the smell is comic from. Maybe it is a chemical thing, maybe not. On another note, I made the most delicious lunch yesterday so check out my blog over the next day or so because I have photos and a recipe to follow.

We have had wonderful weather here lately so I am sitting outside watching the stars and feel incredibly relaxed. The smell of my primal granola is making it's way from the oven, out the window and into my back yard and I am thinking about life. There is so much to be thankful for and at times like this I find myself basking in gratitude for my health, and my current lifestyle. Looking back into the past 10'years I had a wide range if minor health issues which are now gone and life seems easy. No more back pain to keep me up at night, no more severe headaches, no hypoglycemic shakes and mood swings and less stress around the epilepsy which is temporarily along for the ride.
    Here is the question of the day...
    What would you do today if you were brave?

Something to ponder while I enjoy the clouds and the stars. To be continued...

Today was a good day for training. Now that I am in the 4th week of my eat big lift heavy program, I am noticing my strength gains steadily increase. Today, as a light day I did 30 pounds more than my 1 replied from 2 months ago and the bar moves quite easily.
    Today's workout:
    5-5-3-3-1-1
    Power clean
    Back squat
    Bench press
    2 x 5-8 weighted pull ups

After moving through this program for close to a month and eating primal foods, I now realize the changes that can occur while following a strength bias program. This has me thinking about the future and as a strength coach, I do enough programming and would like to play around with various programs that are available in the various media sources such as books and the net.

If you have a cool program that you want to share, I would like to work on a different focus every month. As an example, I am finishing a strength bias, and plan to do a month of EDT (escalating density technique) and then a kettlebell program for mobility and power. That covers the next 3 months. I have done endurance programs as a triathlete, Crossfit for years, simple fit and general strength and conditioning.

What have you done that intreagued you the most? When all is said and done, I plan to make a year long PDF to post on my blog so that people can play around with the many different styles (well at least 10-12) for free! I appreciate your sharing in advance.

Another day has passed and while I reflect on the past 16 hours, I am enjoying a wonderful treat of coconut almond flour pudding that I found a while back on the modern day paleo blog. Tonight for kicks I melted in 2 pieces of dark chocolate and then chased the pudding with a glass of whole milk. In my estimation, I just swallowed close to 1000 calories, actually certainly 1000 calories and most of it was saturated fat!

Almost finished my 4th week of the eat big, lift heavy program on a primal diet. The next weigh in will be on Saturday and based on the amount of food I consumed this week, I should be up a couple of pounds. Strength is skyrocketing and I am also enjoying the 3 training days, however, I just received my kettlebells and I'm chompin at the bit to start swinging.

I have decided that for the next 30 days, I will be forgoing deserts! This is huge for me and will be an interesting experience. In addition, I will be adding Kelly Starett's daily Mobility WOD into my meditation practice at some point of the day. This is sort of like a mini primal 30 day challenge, and I am encouraging my students and clients to subtract one harmful lifestyle habit, while adding a more beneficial habit for the rest of the month.

Today I started with the hip flexor 'couch stretch' for 4 minutes per leg and loved it! No deserts and it is Friday! I did enjoy some great salmon for dinner though, and I have also been eating more raw bell peppers...they are very sweet compared to my old eating style.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Holy smokes! I just stepped on the scale after 4 weeks of my Eat Big, Lift Heavy Program and I went from 165lbs to 180! What I have noticed though is that because I have been eating all day long, I have a bit of a grazing mentality again. This past week I have been going a bit squirrelly if I haven't had my food every 3 hours. I will be interested to see what will happen when I transition back to 3 meals a day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast